Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think all three of our main backs look great in space. I’d like to see Gibbs in the slot and Mason/Griffin/Smith at RB. The run/pass or run/run options for that could be really exciting
I'm no offensive coordinator but with our running backs and more short to medium pass plays we would be hard to stop. if we don't have stupid penalties

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
What will be the excuse next year? We processed allot of guys who weren't getting it done so we are a young team again? This team returned second most starters in the country, I expected better than this now. We shouldn't be throwing away seasons anyways, it's like nfl and nba teams tanking for better picks, which often doesn't work in the long run. You have to build a winning culture instead of throwing away seasons.

I have, however, been impressed by how much better the o line has gotten. Don't get me wrong, there's still improvement to be had, but still impressive. Rb is still good, but other than that, it doesn't look very good. I see the potential Sims brings though, he is electric, but he is also making some freshman mistakes. Does he give you the best chance to win right now? One could argue not. Wouldn't it be better to let him develope more and give him a chance next year?

A couple of thoughts on your points:
  1. Returning a lot of starters from a bad team isn’t necessarily a good thing
  2. From what I’ve seen so far if we cut down on turnovers and penalties, both of which are things you can do, we become a significantly better team right now.
  3. OL has looked better this year but still struggles with inconsistency and considering we plugged in different guys from last year it’s not unexpected to see inconsistency. But I expect that they will get better and better as the season goes on
  4. I feel that our QB problem is different than last season with, unfortunately, similar game results. This year the best guy in the room is a true freshman and he’s going to make mistakes that make you cringe. Compounding that are other areas in which we are making mistakes and it looks even worse. That’s similar in that the best guy in the room last year also had shortcomings that showed up as mistakes. My feeling is, though I could be wrong, that we need to pick our poison and it’s clear we did that and expect that eventually it’ll pay off. I think the coaches also felt that while Graham is very dynamic and throws a nice deep ball that we needed the short to medium passes more than we needed the occasional deep balls and Sims gives us that whole Graham did not (and I guess they felt he didn’t improve enough in practice on that). I’m not saying they are right or wrong in that judgement but it appears the only ones stopping our offense are ourselves and those mistakes (penalties and turnovers) can be fixed.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Literally your whole post is a long paragraph of excuses. They are all things that the coaches are paid to teach and fix.
So, recruited D1 players have no blame in lining up off sides repeatedly? Come on man. I know our coaching staff is pretty green, but the players don’t get a pass on things they were taught in middle school. And the coaches will address it by bringing in better players and processing those who can‘t figure it out. And as far as my excuses, I’m a freaking fan on a message board, not a player posting garbage on social media.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok look simply fact Sims is talented and Young we help to play him this year. But to start another QB will destroy all he has done and he could lose his confidence.
Maybe the best thing would have been to start the QB with some experience and work Sims in as the season went. But that is not what the coaches decided to do. So now lets just get beside him and see how it works out. We aren't the ones who will lose our job.
Not everyone was happy about Joe Hamilton's first year but it worked out

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok look simply fact Sims is talented and Young we help to play him this year. But to start another QB will destroy all he has done and he could lose his confidence.
Maybe the best thing would have been to start the QB with some experience and work Sims in as the season went. But that is not what the coaches decided to do. So now lets just get beside him and see how it works out. We aren't the ones who will lose our job.
Not everyone was happy about Joe Hamilton's first year but it worked out
I also think leaving Sims in game after game where he keeps turning the ball over, whether it is a fumble or int, isn't good either. That can crush his confidence just as much. I don't think it would be bad for Sims to sit out a game or two and have the coaches work with him in practice to help him learn as well as give him time to settle down and not have to worry about having the game on his shoulders, you know?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I also think leaving Sims in game after game where he keeps turning the ball over, whether it is a fumble or int, isn't good either. That can crush his confidence just as much. I don't think it would be bad for Sims to sit out a game or two and have the coaches work with him in practice to help him learn as well as give him time to settle down and not have to worry about having the game on his shoulders, you know?

I tend to think that’s something the coaches have to judge, not fans watching on TV. And specifically I mean the part about confidence. It’s entirely possible you’re right about settling him down but that might also be the thing that crushes his confidence instead. The coaches have to figure out which is the best way to get him to improve as he progresses, and I have confidence he can get so much better.

Sims may the kind of guy who wants the game on his shoulders and having more film of himself may be what he needs. I’m not at all suggesting this is an accurate assessment. Just another possible way of looking at it.

GT_EE78

Banned
competition is king. maybe letting another one start and then let Sims take over after the first series would boost his reading of the other team's D ...gotta do somethin.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Too bad Collins did not reach into the transfer portal for an experienced QB for a year to allow the young QBs to watch, learn, mature and prepare.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Too bad Collins did not reach into the transfer portal for an experienced QB for a year to allow the young QBs to watch, learn, mature and prepare.
Why would any transfer QB worth anything choose to come here? You had possibly the worst online and offense in college football last year. Not sure Collins would have gotten anything better than what we have now.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would any transfer QB worth anything choose to come here? You had possibly the worst online and offense in college football last year. Not sure Collins would have gotten anything better than what we have now.
Which brings up an interesting point. How different would we look if we could’ve held onto the transfer LT from Vandy?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think it's about time we put James Grahm back in. He does not make nearly as many ridiculous mistakes as Sims has made over the past two weeks. Jeff needs to ride the bench for a little while IMO.

To be fair, you are going to make fewer mistakes if you are going 3 and out as much as Graham did. I doubt he was trusted with as much of the playbook, either. I am not saying who I think should start. I just don't think it is a 100 percent certainty that Graham is the "safer" option.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, you are going to make fewer mistakes if you are going 3 and out as much as Graham did. I doubt he was trusted with as much of the playbook, either. I am not saying who I think should start. I just don't think it is a 100 percent certainty that Graham is the "safer" option.
Sure, I am just thinking of any option we could explore with how shakey Sims has looked recently. I think they need to sit him down and get him to a point where he can feel pressure, not throw silly picks, etc. Granted the kid looks very promising for a freshman even with all the mistakes...but this still worries me that we are going to have another Reggie Ball situation on our hands. No offense Reg!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think it's about time we put James Grahm back in. He does not make nearly as many ridiculous mistakes as Sims has made over the past two weeks. Jeff needs to ride the bench for a little while IMO.
You may want to watch the games last year again. And remember after one game we lost him saying he didn't practice like he should have , a QB is a leader and not someone who doesn't give 100% at practice.
I really wish some of you would remember Joe Hamilton's first year as a freshman and how people would say he was not ready.

( let's just hope it's not the QB coach and if it is then CGC needs to do something )

Last edited: