Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kalld12

Banned
Using Trevor Lawrence to make the case for backups is not very valid. He was a 5 star recruit and one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in that class. I agree if Sims keeps having turnovers, you have to look at alternatives. But from a skills perspective, I agree that the coaches would have more knowledge than anyone on this board. Sims has a good arm and is very mobile. His struggles have been recognizing coverage and buzzards luck with 3 blocked passes that have turned into interceptions. I am not sure anyone we have backing him up has the same level of skills in both of those areas.
Would you like me to rattle 10-15 more guys off for you to prove my point? Cmon now

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Would you like me to rattle 10-15 more guys off for you to prove my point? Cmon now

I would. I find it hard to believe there are coaches out there intentionally sitting the guy who gives them the best chance to win.

So I personally would love some other examples. And Lawrence was seeing significant and increasing minutes every game until he took over. He also overtook an established start who had taken his team to the National Championship game the year prior. So using Lawrence is as bad an example as possible.

Listen, I voted for Graham in the poll. I thought he was going to get the nod. When I saw it was Sims, I was cautiously optimistic. Then I watched him in the FSU game. He just has that “it” factor we haven’t seen at qb since JT with more upside.

Unless Graham is a lot better than last year, then it’s not surprising he’s not playing. If he is that much better, he will get a chance. If he does, I will be pulling for him because I don’t care who plays qb, I want them to succeed because I’m a GT fan.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you really just say this? I'll quote you, "The backups are usually the most popular players on the team until they get in the game and show you why they are backups." Did you know Trevor Lawrence was a backup at one point? In fact, many great QB's were backups at some point. I swear some of you have never watched or played football in your life. Some QBs practice better and play like crap come gametime, and some backups dont practice well, but until their inserted into the game you don't know what you have. We do have a QB behind Sims with actual game expereince and if inserted he would be light years better than Mr. Yates, and Gleason we havent seen yet so we don't know. All im saying is, you're naive to think one of our backups couldn't be better than Sims.
I'm sorry. I completely missed the fact that James Graham took us to the National Championship game. You are right. He should have been the starter from day one based on all the success to lend us to last year. Everybody knew Trevor Lawrence was infinitely more talented than the returning starter. He played in every game until he took the starting job. There is no qb on our roster that is more talented than Jeff Sims. If the coaches felt someone else would give us a better chance to win they would put them in. If Jeff does not figure out the turnovers that may just happen.

kalld12

Banned
You name them, we'll count them. They have to be legit, so don't bring any of that weak ****, otherwise we'll be swatting them like James White and soft lay-ups.
Deshone Kizer
Joe Flacco
Dennis Dixon
Cardale Jones
Craig Krenzel
Troy Smith
Brett Farve
Jake Coker
Major Applewhite
Connor Cook
Tom Brady
Denard Robinson
Vince Young
Sam Darnold
Steve Bartkowski

to name a few.....

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
So you think had we not fired Pat Watson after Joe's freshman year and replaced him with Friedgen that Joe's numbers would have been just as good going forward?
I have no idea, probably not. But there are too many hypotheticals when comparing across staffs and years. i guess we should all refrain from doing that from now on.

My whole point was that some QBs develop to the next level and some dont, and Freshman year performance does not mean all is lost. The desire to improve and hard work are often the determining factors.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Deshone Kizer
Joe Flacco
Dennis Dixon
Cardale Jones
Craig Krenzel
Troy Smith
Brett Farve
Jake Coker
Major Applewhite
Connor Cook
Tom Brady
Denard Robinson
Vince Young
Sam Darnold
Steve Bartkowski

to name a few.....
How many of these guys started the majority of their team’s games the previous season, performed poorly, and then won the starting job back? I honestly hope Graham gets to play, because he’s either gonna be lights out, or the same as he was last year. Either way I’ll be glad when you stop talking about him in every damn post.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Deshone Kizer
Joe Flacco
Dennis Dixon
Cardale Jones
Craig Krenzel
Troy Smith
Brett Farve
Jake Coker
Major Applewhite
Connor Cook
Tom Brady
Denard Robinson
Vince Young
Sam Darnold
Steve Bartkowski

to name a few.....

This is silly. What about the thousands of backups that we don't even know their names? That doesn't prove anything, either.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Deshone Kizer
Joe Flacco
Dennis Dixon
Cardale Jones
Craig Krenzel
Troy Smith
Brett Farve
Jake Coker
Major Applewhite
Connor Cook
Tom Brady
Denard Robinson
Vince Young
Sam Darnold
Steve Bartkowski

to name a few.....
A lot of these guys ended up winning the starting job. It’s only a few transfers or guys who sat more than one season on your list. I thought you were going to name guys who had a similar situation as Graham (i.e., had the job lost it)?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Deshone Kizer
Joe Flacco
Dennis Dixon
Cardale Jones
Craig Krenzel
Troy Smith
Brett Farve
Jake Coker
Major Applewhite
Connor Cook
Tom Brady
Denard Robinson
Vince Young
Sam Darnold
Steve Bartkowski

to name a few.....
Wait, I only see one long-term backup on that list. Probably the best example on the list, but almost EVERYONE starts out as a backup. I don't think that's the original point. Or maybe I got turned around and now don't remember the original point.

The backup QB is always the most popular guy with the fans when the starter is struggling with something. Sometimes the situation just isn't right for the player (Favre), maybe there's just too much competition to get on the field (Brady, Flacco), maybe the guys just needs some aging (Lil' Joe).

Deleted member 2897

Wait, I only see one long-term backup on that list. Probably the best example on the list, but almost EVERYONE starts out as a backup. I don't think that's the original point. Or maybe I got turned around and now don't remember the original point.

The backup QB is always the most popular guy with the fans when the starter is struggling with something. Sometimes the situation just isn't right for the player (Favre), maybe there's just too much competition to get on the field (Brady, Flacco), maybe the guys just needs some aging (Lil' Joe).

No you’re correct. He was asserting there are plenty of times where the coach knew the backup was the better player, but sat him on the bench. If you sort through that list, it doesn’t actually support that argument. For example, Tom Brady’s stats were never good in college. He sat the first 2 years - but who was the starter? Future NFL QB Brian Griese, and they were undefeated National Champions. Brett Favre - did play in all 44 games while in college. Etc

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No you’re correct. He was asserting there are plenty of times where the coach knew the backup was the better player, but sat him on the bench. If you sort through that list, it doesn’t actually support that argument. For example, Tom Brady’s stats were never good in college. He sat the first 2 years - but who was the starter? Future NFL QB Brian Griese, and they were undefeated National Champions. Brett Favre - did play in all 44 games while in college. Etc
I think he's throwing some Pro's in there too. Favre may have been physically more gifted than Chris Miller, but he was a trainwreck on the Falcons. Or maybe it's when he got benched to play Aaron Rodgers. Not sure.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This thread and the “nasty HC” thread are full of utter nonsense

What do you think fan internet message boards are for? It’s all in fun as we all get thru life and can take the occasional 5 minutes to distract ourselves with something fun, ie. GT football for most of us. This isn’t life or death or the gospel. It’s just a bunch of fans having fun.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Back to GT quarterbacks. This staff has hitched its wagon to Sims for now so I don't expect to see a different starter for now. At some point if the same mistakes continue over several games then I will have to say I will lose confidence in the coaching staff's ability to prepare an offensive game plan and make adjustments. So far I am not impressed this season. We actually did show some improvement last year in the later part of the season but still not great. Maybe same this year but only a couple of wins this season is not going to give me much confidence in this staff. We cannot get in a perpetual wait til next year cycle.