Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean, he was hit in the arm on at least one and I am not putting tipped balls completely on a 6'3" QB.
Not to mention that happened twice. In a row. How many times do you see a QB get in the arm and the ball flies straight up into the air for the defense to just grab the way Syracuse did? Never. I'd be shocked if you ever see that again in the next 10 years. It was a total fluke.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Really composed and solid game for Sims tonight. End this thread, he is the guy. Lol
Agreed. I would like to see us run some rollout plays where he throws it deep, we really haven't thrown it deep with Sims except 3-4 times? So that is something I'd like to see, but Sims is definitely the guy. He has so much composure in the pocket for a true freshman it is crazy!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sims has been our leading rusher in 3 out of 4 games. He's also our overall leading rusher (by 19 yards more than Gibbs).

At the rate he's going in terms of passing and rushing, there's a chance he could have been a 3,000 yard passer/1,000 yard rusher if we had a normal 13-14 game schedule. Right now he's tracking towards 2600/700 pass/rush production for the 11 game schedule. (I highly doubt there will be bowl games)

Sims hasn't played well in some of our games, but his production as a true freshmen without a full Fall camp or full spring/summer is on track to give him a chance to be special. Pretty soon he's going to have 300+ yard passing games to go along with those rushing yards and this offense with guys like Gibbs and the 4 star WRs we're signing is gonna be pretty fun to watch.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I focused quite a bit on Sims on Friday night and the arguments about how he is being handled, ie leave him in regardless or take him out when struggling to coach him up will likely not end soon. He’ll eventually understand where the blitzes are coming from and can audible at the line or will understand where the ball should quickly go. I think it’s sooner rather than later. There is one thing he does need to improve & that’s his footwork. If you watch him when his delivery is good his footwork is correct. When he’s out of whack he’s off way target. P’nut needs to get working on that with Sims.

Keep him healthy because without Sims our season is going to look a whole lot different. We could easily be 0-4 right now without him.

Deleted member 2897

Here is an update on stats. And again, I’m not saying Jeff Sims could have accomplished this last year or that James Graham would have repeated that this year.

2019 QB:
145 total yards per game
1.5 sacs per game
1.5 TDs per game
1.0 turnovers per game
4.9 yards per touch
6.0 yards per pass
2.9 yards per rush
12.5 offensive points per game

2020 QB:
299 total yards per game
0.2 sacs per game
2.0 TDs per game
2.2 turnovers per game
7.3 yards per touch
7.9 yards per pass
5.7 yards per rush
25.8 offensive points per game

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I focused quite a bit on Sims on Friday night and the arguments about how he is being handled, ie leave him in regardless or take him out when struggling to coach him up will likely not end soon. He’ll eventually understand where the blitzes are coming from and can audible at the line or will understand where the ball should quickly go. I think it’s sooner rather than later. There is one thing he does need to improve & that’s his footwork. If you watch him when his delivery is good his footwork is correct. When he’s out of whack he’s off way target. P’nut needs to get working on that with Sims.

Keep him healthy because without Sims our season is going to look a whole lot different. We could easily be 0-4 right now without him.
P’nut acknowledged needing mechanical adjustments for Sims and Gleason in earlier press conferences. Hopefully that can be addressed in the off season more. I’ve always felt that Sims’release point is really low as well, and I love to see his elbow higher and ball higher at release. I’m definitely no QB mechanic expert, but it has always looked like he uses his raw athletic ability to get by. If that is the case he has a lot of room for growth. Is anyone on here with some QB mechanic knowledge?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Footwork and mechanics are things that Jeff Sims will need to work on everyday until he can no longer play football. If you watch film on Peyton Manning/Tom Brady/Aaron Rogers, each of them talk about focusing on footwork/mechanics drills every day in practice and before games. So much so that they film each drill to review each rep to make sure they don't fail on every rep. They watch it like a golfer's swing. If you watch those famous offseason Manning workouts with David Cutcliffe at Duke, footwork and mechanics are what they focus on the most.

The only QB in the modern era that I've seen make consistently great throws with wonky mechanics is Patrick Mahomes. That dude is just a freak. He literally looks one way and throws the other while going across his body...which coaches bench QBs for, but he just makes spectacular play after spectacular play doing it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
P’nut acknowledged needing mechanical adjustments for Sims and Gleason in earlier press conferences. Hopefully that can be addressed in the off season more. I’ve always felt that Sims’release point is really low as well, and I love to see his elbow higher and ball higher at release. I’m definitely no QB mechanic expert, but it has always looked like he uses his raw athletic ability to get by. If that is the case he has a lot of room for growth. Is anyone on here with some QB mechanic knowledge?
That’s the most positive aspect of this- Sims is relying on raw talent. If/when he gets coached up, standby we’re in for a ride. Also, that kid we recruited from California’s going to push Sims. Right now he seemingly has no competition.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Agreed on that. Fundamentals are often a mental game issue, though. It's hard to keep focus at a 10 throughout a game. The guys that do are simply special. The good news is, while he has lapses there, he is still very fluid and has natural feel moving in and escaping the pocket. He has every opportunity to make an accurate throw on nearly every pass he lets loose.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Can we stop with the condescending P'nut stuff? We are number 19 in total offense at 453 yds/game with a freshman QB, freshman RB and freshman RT.

This compares to 285 yds/game for 2019 season. These numbers are not QB stats. The improvement is team improvement. It's a team sport.

The improvement also shows how important recruiting is. We're not there yet, but we are gaining ground. Be patient.

slugboy

Staff member

Good catch. Friday made a significant positive impact on Sim’s QB rating for the season:
Pass
RkPlayerCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
1Jeff Sims6612055.09447.95.758121.5
2Jordan Yates2450.041.01.00058.4
3Ahmarean Brown11100.099.029.010505.6

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/11/2020.

His game stats were really good—if he played like that every game, only Lawrence would have a brighter halo:
Pass
PlayerSchoolCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Malik CunninghamLouisville193357.62296.98.220135.9
Jeff SimsGeorgia Tech112152.424911.913.820183.4
Ahmarean BrownGeorgia Tech11100.099.029.010505.6

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/11/2020.

I expect his stats to take a dent as we go into a brutal stretch of the schedule—especially against Clemson—but there’s some reason to hope that he can improve measurably during the season