Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
For everyone on the we can't be good until 2023 train, what enjoyment do you get out of watching games now? If winning isn't important and the vast majority of the guys you are watching will be gone by the time we can win, what exactly is the point?

Im not in the camp that thinks we can’t be good until then. Again how you define good is different than how other people would define it so I think you should be more clear.

Earlier you were arguing for being competitive. I pointed out that we’re competitive now and you didn’t respond.

So I’ll ask specifically what YOU mean by “be good” and then I’ll give you my answer in that. It will only be my answer/opinion, but until “good” is defined, it’s hard to answer.

To your other point, I enjoy watching the games because I’m a fan/alum and I love watching GT football. I also haven’t gone into any game this year thinking we can’t win. The only 2 games I feel that way about now are Clemson and ND. I still think we CAN win any of the rest of them. There’s a difference between thinking we can win and we should win. I think you fee like we should be winning more right now. That’s where most of us disagree. We think we CAN win, but youth and lack of having the right pieces or time to develop the pieces prevent us from thinking we SHOULD win now.

I also love watching the young guys develop. If you can’t get excited about watching Gibbs and Sims on the field together along with the rest of our RBs and developing WRs then I don’t know what to tell you. We also have some young DEs making big jumps as well.

Lastly, I’ll say being a fan and playing are two different things. I doubt any of our players feel like they can’t win. If they did, I don’t know if I’d want them playing for us. That being said, we as fans we can be more realistic. It’s not reasonable to think we will win 7 or more games this year. 3-6 is reasonable IMO. So sit back enjoy the progress we’re making and pull for us to play a clean game Friday and beat luhvull!

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
For everyone on the we can't be good until 2023 train, what enjoyment do you get out of watching games now? If winning isn't important and the vast majority of the guys you are watching will be gone by the time we can win, what exactly is the point?
First, and foremost among these attitudes that must be developed, is the realization that in football there must be a winner and a loser (excepting the occasional tie). The fan who recognizes this principle gets a great deal more enjoyment from the game than one who becomes irritated, aggravated, and rambunctious when "his" team loses. We would never minimize the importance of winning, but it is very unfair to the coach, the player, and the school when the fan forgets it is impossible to "repudiate the law of mathematics"--i.e., there must be a winner and a loser.

It is important that each of us develop the art of appreciating great plays made by the opposition. We should always give our opponents credit, rather than criticize our team when the opposition makes a great play. We believe perfection in the execution of a great play in football is to be admired and appreciated, just as we appreciate and admire the work of a great artist in any field.

Bobby Dodd

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
The point is that those dudes like seeing an athletic QB on the field and enjoy seeing him play despite his drive killing mistakes more than they would enjoy watching a "less athletic" QB that might make less mistakes leading us to a W. That would be so "boring" to watch.

Edit: They accept mediocrity. It is what it is.

Deleted member 2897

The point is that those dudes like seeing an athletic QB on the field and enjoy seeing him play despite his drive killing mistakes more than they would enjoy watching a "less athletic" QB that might make less mistakes leading us to a W. That would be so "boring" to watch.

And we accept you as a neighborhood troll. The good news is that Halloween is only a few more weeks away and you’re already dressed for a night out.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck

I don't understand this comment. How do you know we have a qb on the roster that is going to give us a better chance at winning? The coaches see these guys every day in practice. I am sure they are not starting Jeff just because he is athletic. They are all young and inexperienced. The lack of spring and summer was a negative factor in the development of our young QB room. Any qb we put in is going to make mistakes. I am sure they will play whomever they think gives us the best chance of winning. If Jeff keeps turning the ball over I am sure someone else will get an opportunity. But there is no guarantee they will do better. The backups are usually the most popular players on the team until they get in the game and show you why they are backups.

Deleted member 2897

I don't understand this comment. How do you know we have a qb on the roster that is going to give us a better chance at winning? The coaches see these guys every day in practice. I am sure they are not starting Jeff just because he is athletic. They are all young and inexperienced. The lack of spring and summer was a negative factor in the development of our young QB room. Any qb we put in is going to make mistakes. I am sure they will play whomever they think gives us the best chance of winning. If Jeff keeps turning the ball over I am sure someone else will get an opportunity. But there is no guarantee they will do better. The backups are usually the most popular players on the team until they get in the game and show you why they are backups.

As DaveP said in the presser, 2 of those interceptions he puts on protection, with Sims getting hit as he threw...and of course they landed perfectly in someone’s lap LOL. I don’t think Sims is near the end of DavePs rope right now...or even close.

kalld12

Banned
Did you really just say this? I'll quote you, "The backups are usually the most popular players on the team until they get in the game and show you why they are backups." Did you know Trevor Lawrence was a backup at one point? In fact, many great QB's were backups at some point. I swear some of you have never watched or played football in your life. Some QBs practice better and play like crap come gametime, and some backups dont practice well, but until their inserted into the game you don't know what you have. We do have a QB behind Sims with actual game expereince and if inserted he would be light years better than Mr. Yates, and Gleason we havent seen yet so we don't know. All im saying is, you're naive to think one of our backups couldn't be better than Sims.

Deleted member 2897

Did you really just say this? I'll quote you, "The backups are usually the most popular players on the team until they get in the game and show you why they are backups." Did you know Trevor Lawrence was a backup at one point? In fact, many great QB's were backups at some point. I swear some of you have never watched or played football in your life. Some QBs practice better and play like crap come gametime, and some backups dont practice well, but until their inserted into the game you don't know what you have. We do have a QB behind Sims with actual game expereince and if inserted he would be light years better than Mr. Yates, and Gleason we havent seen yet so we don't know. All im saying is, you're naive to think one of our backups couldn't be better than Sims.

“your ignorant”

Sorry, I mean no offense, I just had to join the Internet grammar police on this one. 😃

Deleted member 2897

haha fixed before you called it out, its called proof reading

:ROFLMAO: Well, hopefully youll except my apology, since I do these things alot. I'll try to insure better behavior in the future and will try and complement all are friends hear more than criticize.

Remember Tim Byerly? I don't think he ever disappointed when he was inserted into a game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I mean, there are a ton of differences like the offensive line, etc. What I remember is that, from a decision making perspective, Joe continued to improve and Reggie was more static.
So you think had we not fired Pat Watson after Joe's freshman year and replaced him with Friedgen that Joe's numbers would have been just as good going forward?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Using Trevor Lawrence to make the case for backups is not very valid. He was a 5 star recruit and one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in that class. I agree if Sims keeps having turnovers, you have to look at alternatives. But from a skills perspective, I agree that the coaches would have more knowledge than anyone on this board. Sims has a good arm and is very mobile. His struggles have been recognizing coverage and buzzards luck with 3 blocked passes that have turned into interceptions. I am not sure anyone we have backing him up has the same level of skills in both of those areas.