Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow

What pops out for me about Sims is rocket launcher for an arm. He flings the rock out with speed and velocity. Surround him with speed and let’s test their secondary.

I really like how big an arm he has. Sims can launch that thing. I also really like his running ability.

My big concern is he had a lot of time to throw on a lot of those passes, he won't have that with our OL, even if it is much improved since we play teams like Clemson. Having said that though, Sims made some amazing throws in that while under pressure and I was impressed with that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea if he is of the same caliber, but Mike Kelly started as a freshman, and Deshawn Watson did at Clemson, and neither of them had "development" seasons.
They also had more practice before the season started and none of these virtual meetings. Just saying it is more rare than the norm for a true freshman QB to be an accomplished QB in their first game. I expect more mistakes from a true freshman than a guy that had been a multiple game starter and another year in the system. Whatever happens it will be fun to watch on Saturday. I actually still expect JG to start but someone else to finish. Too bad we couldn't start with someone like Elon if we are going with Sims or Gleason.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Sims would be a good move. If we keep the Oline intact it should be good this year and with a stable of really good backs he can be eased into the offense. If he is asked to throw a lot it nay be a long year.

I will say this. FSU's Dline is HUGE. All over 6'5. I would think this means Sims or Gleason starts. Simply because Yates and Graham will definitely be in a bad situation with that length across from them.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Too bad we couldn't start with someone like Elon if we are going with Sims or Gleason.
I mean they would have started against Clemson if the season was normal LOL. I think they would rather play FSU, they are much easier to beat, but I do see your point it would be nice to get an easy team first to build their confidence and skillset before playing the big dogs.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
it appears to be Sims .... I wonder who the package will be for? Yates?
Packages to me sounds more like certain plays and stuff for a QB who doesn't necessarily know the whole playbook, which would make me assume it is Gleason since he is a true freshman where as Yates and Graham have a year of learning the playbook already.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Packages to me sounds more like certain plays and stuff for a QB who doesn't necessarily know the whole playbook, which would make me assume it is Gleason since he is a true freshman where as Yates and Graham have a year of learning the playbook already.
Sims and Gleason have been here the same amount of time.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If the coaches are going to play a true freshman and have his backup be a true freshman while playing behind a below average offensive line then I admire their courage.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
If the coaches are going to play a true freshman and have his backup be a true freshman while playing behind a below average offensive line then I admire their courage.
I mean the way I see it, all four are pretty similar experience wise. JG has experience yes, but after watching the offense last year I am not sure how much that really helps him. The only thing Sims and Gleason could work on with Coach P from March to July was solely film, so I would say they are probably quite comfortable schematically, especially Gleason from what Coach P has said. I would say Yates, Sims, and Gleason, will be ready, as far as graham I won't believe he's cleaned up his footwork until I see it, because in the pressure of a real game it would be easy for him to revert back to old habits.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I mean the way I see it, all four are pretty similar experience wise. JG has experience yes, but after watching the offense last year I am not sure how much that really helps him. The only thing Sims and Gleason could work on with Coach P from March to July was solely film, so I would say they are probably quite comfortable schematically, especially Gleason from what Coach P has said. I would say Yates, Sims, and Gleason, will be ready, as far as graham I won't believe he's cleaned up his footwork until I see it, because in the pressure of a real game it would be easy for him to revert back to old habits.
I mean Sims and Gleason neither one were all that great last year either and they weren't playing ACC teams and UGA. Graham tied the record for TD passes as a freshman at GT. He won ACC rookie of the week for the NC State game. He went 15-22 for 229 yards and 2TD against a 9 win team on the road. Overall, he wasn't great by any stretch but he showed some promise and im not sure I would write off his experience against much better competition as not helping him much.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean Sims and Gleason neither one were all that great last year either and they weren't playing ACC teams and UGA. Graham tied the record for TD passes as a freshman at GT. He won ACC rookie of the week for the NC State game. He went 15-22 for 229 yards and 2TD against a 9 win team on the road. Overall, he wasn't great by any stretch but he showed some promise and im not sure I would write off his experience against much better competition as not helping him much.
I agree he has potential, but completely 45% of his passes was horrendous. Not to mention had it not been for ahmarean browns speed, graham would have only had 5 TD passes. He had a tendency to miss wide open receivers, and his footwork was so poor he was better at throwing on the run than in the pocket.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

It really isn't that unlikely though. We had a drastic switch in systems and with that there was always the possibility that none of the inherited QBs were long terms answers at the QB position.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Final poll results:

1599853446376.png

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I agree he has potential, but completely 45% of his passes was horrendous. Not to mention had it not been for ahmarean browns speed, graham would have only had 5 TD passes. He had a tendency to miss wide open receivers, and his footwork was so poor he was better at throwing on the run than in the pocket.
Sims seems to be who everybody thinks will start now and he completed 52% of his passes last year against high school teams. In his final game, the last real game he played, he went 12 for 31. That doesn't mean Sims shouldn't start. If he earned it in practice and has the coaches excited then let er rip, but its not like we have extremely polished freshman coming in to replace Graham.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think a lot of people are being a little harsh on a freshman qb who played behind one of the worst olines in football. I find it hard to believe that many freshmen would have fared much better. It is hard to to be fundamentally sound when you are inexperienced and running for your life. However I expect Graham to be much better this year because of it. With that being said, it would not surprise me if one of the freshmen starts because I believe they are both that talented.