Starters

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it was a good list and your suggestions are good also.
With regard to minor tweaking of the lineup I wonder about Ike. I had assumed from about the second day of practice that he would start. However, CPJ has not said anything real encouraging about him even when reporters have asked. By the end of camp I felt like he was just a placeholder until someone stepped up, someone that maybe CPJ was challenging to work harder. Don't get me wrong. I would start him but CPJ seems lukewarm at best toward him.

Ike is probably a starter according to this:
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-tech-a-back-rotation-clarifying/nnQXx/

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Gotsis plays 1Tech more than JHD or Patrick, but I think they move around. I think the biggest issue with Gamble is whether Kallon, or someone, can provide decent depth at DT.

I wonder if they've considered red shirting Merriweather this year given our depth at rush end.

Now, I haven't seen enough film this year to comment with 100% accuracy, but last year Gotsis played the 3 primarily with Green at the 1. Again, primarily. Can you find gotsis playing the 1 on occasion based on whatever...I am sure. But that is any DT...in any scheme. We are talking primarily.

This year, I would think Gotsis will still be in the 3. The post spring depth chart has gotsis in the 3 and gamble in the 1.

But clearly, finding that backup is key.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Now, I haven't seen enough film this year to comment with 100% accuracy, but last year Gotsis played the 3 primarily with Green at the 1. Again, primarily. Can you find gotsis playing the 1 on occasion based on whatever...I am sure. But that is any DT...in any scheme. We are talking primarily.

This year, I would think Gotsis will still be in the 3. The post spring depth chart has gotsis in the 3 and gamble in the 1.

But clearly, finding that backup is key.

I stand corrected. I must have misremembered.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think Gotsis plays 1Tech more than JHD or Patrick, but I think they move around. I think the biggest issue with Gamble is whether Kallon, or someone, can provide decent depth at DT.

I wonder if they've considered red shirting Merriweather this year given our depth at rush end.
We can't red shirt Merriweather, he already played last year.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Here’s mine:

Offense:
QB: JeT
BB: Allen
AB: Snoddy
AB: Ike
WR: Summers
WR: Jeune
LT: Chamberlain
LG: Braun
C: Burden
RG: Devine
RT: Joe

Defense:
DE: Freeman
DT: Gotsis
NT: Gamble
DE: RRC
LB: Davis
LB: Marcordes
N: Law Austin
CB: White
CB: Milton
FS: Golden
SS: Smith

Obviously the “first play” could be different depending on what play we want to run offensively or what formation Alcorn State comes out in offensively.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Not to pick, but wouldn't Pat Gamble move to the outside instead of RRC, in the rotation?

Might see Kendarius Whitehead on some 3rd and longs from the other side.
That's what I thought, too. Our run defense with Gamble outside improved considerably last year. I feel comfortable with Freeman/blitzing backer or DB to get enough pressure on the QB that I'd rather go with a stronger front to prevent the run and let the defensive backfield do their thing.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
you can RS any year of eligibility provided you didn't play that year or prior RS a year. It doesn't have to be as a freshman.

Paul already stated last year we may do a Soph Rs for some DE due to numbers....

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I stand corrected. I must have misremembered.

now I will say. Gotsis and Gamble are both physically 3s. Neither is a 1 physically. In fact in the NFL both are probably SDE or 3-4 strong ends. Typically at a 1 you want a squatier wider guy with lower COG. Usually you don't see 6-5 guys that are 285 at the 1.

But when you don't have that perfect physical 1 on your roster, you just field your best DTs.

However JHD fits the 1 body and size more than the other two. Which is why I hope he comes on strong and allows gamble to slide.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think Gamble would be 2nd string DT with Kallon. RRC will start at SDE. It's better depth that way.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
semantics in my opinion. He put himself in a position to be removed from competition. That type of thing should not be something someone just walks back from and waltzes into a starting role IMO. I recognize the work he did to get back, but I also recognize the work the other players on the team did WITHOUT becoming ineligible, and playing without Jabari. It's a little bit unfair to them to just hand the starting role over considering they did not hurt the team like Jabari's actions that made him ineligible did.
It's not like Gamble was the starting DT last year and Jabari is going to be handed his position, it's an open competition. If Gamble is started SOLELY because he was eligible last year I think that's a mistake. That presumes that the position was not really "open" for competition and that it was Gamble's spot...not the attitude you want in training camp.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not like Gamble was the starting DT last year and Jabari is going to be handed his position, it's an open competition. If Gamble is started SOLELY because he was eligible last year I think that's a mistake. That presumes that the position was not really "open" for competition and that it was Gamble's spot...not the attitude you want in training camp.

agreed, but it's also not like Jabari has any in-game film playing DT. Right now Gamble does, so how is it fair to just insert Jabari over Gamble at a position he's never played in his life over guys who remained eligible and helped the team on the field last season (not overlooking Jabari's help on the scout team) based on doing well in spring practice, scrimmages, and in practice last season? Why exactly would that create a better attitude among the D-Line?