Stansbury

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
For the record, I would work for a boss who was capable of admitting a mistake and moving on versus one who stubbornly sticks to a bad decision insisting that it will eventually work. We all make mistakes. It’s what you do after the mistake that counts.
That's the difference between Stansbury and Homer Rice. Rice made a bad hire, recognized it, owned it, made a major staff hire after the second season, and made the change mid way through the next season.

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan
mail

for those who didn't get it
Give him some credit for acknowledging the fan base.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
All I know is this.

I have watched GT Football for coming on 50 years. Been a season ticket holder for going on 40 years, even when I lived over 500 miles away from Georgia (heck, even for 2 years when I lived overseas!). I recall very well how quickly one could see a difference when a good coach took over from a bad one. When O'Leary took over from Lewis, we suddenly became competitive, even though we continued losing games. But we stopped doing stupid things and stopped making silly decisions. It was clearly visible within 1 year. When Ross took over from Curry, it took a little longer, but by the end of the second year (and certainly by the middle of year 3) you could sense the tide turning.

Never, ever, in 50 years have I seen such bad football presented to us for 3 solid years with no changes.

I believe we stand on a precipice. We either pick ourselves up and get back to good, hard-nosed GT football, where we at least represent a decent program with a chance to win games by playing hard and especially by being smart. Or we descend into the depths of programs like Tulane and Duke (who now have a ceiling of being maybe 6-6 in their best years and playing in a Weed-eater Bowl somewhere like Shreveport. Gibbs' decision indicates to me that our players have lost faith in the direction of this program.Please note that I do not blame Gibbs even a little bit. That decision speaks volumes to me.

I have NO IDEA what is going on behind the scenes, but as of this moment, all I know is that the folks responsible for bringing us to this precipice are still making modest changes at best. Or so it appears. I am not quite sure what I expected TStan to say, but his letter did nothing for me. For the very first time in nearly 40 years, I am seriously considering not renewing my season tickets. This past year, despite being a season ticket holder, I only attended 2 games in person, and in neither of those could I stand to stay beyond the opening drives of the 3rd quarter. I don't need to watch incompetence in action from this coaching staff. Collins MUST get someone in who takes over clock management duties, or get someone in the booth who tells him what to do. There MUST be new coordinators who can actually, you know, COACH. Our inability to make schematic changes during a game have become reliably legendary. If you cannot get enough Jimmies and Joes, you had better be very good at X's and O's, or else....or else you get blown out 100-0 in your last two games.

I believe TStan made a horrible mistake with this contract. There should have been some sort of benchmarks embedded in it. I think TStan never imagined we'd be *this* bad. Now I think he is scrambling within what he sees as his financial constraints to make all this work. I fully expect we will be bad again next year and that the Collins experiment will finally come to a merciful conclusion. I just wonder how many folks, like me, may not be there after the dust settles to support GT football.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
All I know is this.

I have watched GT Football for coming on 50 years. Been a season ticket holder for going on 40 years, even when I lived over 500 miles away from Georgia (heck, even for 2 years when I lived overseas!). I recall very well how quickly one could see a difference when a good coach took over from a bad one. When O'Leary took over from Lewis, we suddenly became competitive, even though we continued losing games. But we stopped doing stupid things and stopped making silly decisions. It was clearly visible within 1 year. When Ross took over from Curry, it took a little longer, but by the end of the second year (and certainly by the middle of year 3) you could sense the tide turning.

Never, ever, in 50 years have I seen such bad football presented to us for 3 solid years with no changes.

I believe we stand on a precipice. We either pick ourselves up and get back to good, hard-nosed GT football, where we at least represent a decent program with a chance to win games by playing hard and especially by being smart. Or we descend into the depths of programs like Tulane and Duke (who now have a ceiling of being maybe 6-6 in their best years and playing in a Weed-eater Bowl somewhere like Shreveport. Gibbs' decision indicates to me that our players have lost faith in the direction of this program.Please note that I do not blame Gibbs even a little bit. That decision speaks volumes to me.

I have NO IDEA what is going on behind the scenes, but as of this moment, all I know is that the folks responsible for bringing us to this precipice are still making modest changes at best. Or so it appears. I am not quite sure what I expected TStan to say, but his letter did nothing for me. For the very first time in nearly 40 years, I am seriously considering not renewing my season tickets. This past year, despite being a season ticket holder, I only attended 2 games in person, and in neither of those could I stand to stay beyond the opening drives of the 3rd quarter. I don't need to watch incompetence in action from this coaching staff. Collins MUST get someone in who takes over clock management duties, or get someone in the booth who tells him what to do. There MUST be new coordinators who can actually, you know, COACH. Our inability to make schematic changes during a game have become reliably legendary. If you cannot get enough Jimmies and Joes, you had better be very good at X's and O's, or else....or else you get blown out 100-0 in your last two games.

I believe TStan made a horrible mistake with this contract. There should have been some sort of benchmarks embedded in it. I think TStan never imagined we'd be *this* bad. Now I think he is scrambling within what he sees as his financial constraints to make all this work. I fully expect we will be bad again next year and that the Collins experiment will finally come to a merciful conclusion. I just wonder how many folks, like me, may not be there after the dust settles to support GT football.
Sadly, college football has changed so much in the past ten years that there is very little correlation to the past. Several schools have an athletic budget over 200m a year. Brian Kelley just agreed to leave ND for LSU for 15m and will have a budget of 7.5M for his assistants. Mel Tucker signed a 95M contract at Michigan State and we look much more like Duke and Tulane (certainly in budget) than the top 50 big budget programs. I’m glad I’m not in TStans shoes.
I believe that the plan hasn’t changed, as it was always a 4 year deal. The contract was set up that way so we were giving this guy 4 years to turn it.
As for Gibbs, if the current rules were in place (not sitting out after transferring) I assure you that the doors would have been flying open with Lewis and Bobby Ross during the the first year and first two years.
I feel your pain and have great respect for your love of the program. I tipped a kid on Techwood to watch my grandfathers car in 1962. I was six years old and road to the game with my Grandfather (class of 22 ) and Father (class of 45 sorta) War interfered.
Not sure where we are headed but I’m still in the car.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe that the plan hasn’t changed, as it was always a 4 year deal. The contract was set up that way so we were giving this guy 4 years to turn it.
I believe that this is true. The timing wasn't good when CPJ retired and it's not very good to replace Collins now. I think TStan is trying to buy some breathing room. Pick up some better coordinators that can take over if he cans Collins mid '22 and hopefully get ahead of next year's coaching carousel. I have no proof, just a desperate need to believe that someone at GTAA has a plan....

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
We are approaching year 4 and I feel like we are still in year one. I hope hope hope we can field a team resembling a decent football team next year. That’s all I can do is hope. I just hate that football isn’t fun anymore. Hasn’t been in a very long long time.

I really feel for our players. If we are this upset, then their emotions are ten-fold.

We absolutely need to hire some great assistant coaches and coordinators. No room for error. At all. And we’ve been full of those the last three years.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We are approaching year 4 and I feel like we are still in year one. I hope hope hope we can field a team resembling a decent football team next year. That’s all I can do is hope. I just hate that football isn’t fun anymore. Hasn’t been in a very long long time.

I really feel for our players. If we are this upset, then their emotions are ten-fold.

We absolutely need to hire some great assistant coaches and coordinators. No room for error. At all. And we’ve been full of those the last three years.
I see this as -1 year, one year behind the 1st year.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
All I know is this.

Great post!

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I've always looked at this as an expensive 4 year contract with options. If TStan had $$ lined up for a potential change already, I think the funding sources for the contract viewed it similarly. The success of the current changes dictate the rest of the outcome and put an immediate pressure on CGC for more W's.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
2. Five games into next year if we are still not playing competitive ball I believe we will have a new coach by game 7.
I doubt that. Unless my understanding of the contract is wrong, we pay him the same whether he is fired now or half way thru next season. If CGC is the coach at Spring training, he will be the coach at least until the mutt game next year.