Stansbury

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand what you're saying in this response. Sorry.
Sorry typed that while fueling, I was saying that communication is just with the public it also is within the Athletics department, we had an AD that didn't communicate with anyone in Bobinski got the nickname sasquatch. 90 percent of what an AD does is communicate his vision and sync everyone on it. Todd isn't very good at the to the public part.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sorry typed that while fueling, I was saying that communication is just with the public it also is within the Athletics department, we had an AD that didn't communicate with anyone in Bobinski got the nickname sasquatch. 90 percent of what an AD does is communicate his vision and sync everyone on it. Todd isn't very good at the to the public part.
I think his job is to run the programs and manage the AA. The individual coaches are the faces of the teams. He pops up when he needs to. I don't think the AD, in general, should be communicating much with the general public. Besides, I've never had any problems communicating with ADTS or understanding what he was saying, so the concept that he's not a good communicator is just foreign to me. That's why all these comments are confusing to me.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Up until a few years ago, GTAA had no strategic plan or vision for anything. I don’t think there is a lot of experience developing plans much less communicating them. TStan is no worse but he sure isn’t the best.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think his job is to run the programs and manage the AA. The individual coaches are the faces of the teams. He pops up when he needs to. I don't think the AD, in general, should be communicating much with the general public. Besides, I've never had any problems communicating with ADTS or understanding what he was saying, so the concept that he's not a good communicator is just foreign to me. That's why all these comments are confusing to me.

One on one is a completely different story.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It's occurred to me that Tstan may be holding all the cards here. By getting donor commitments to cover the buyout and releasing that information to the media, he was free to let Collins know that he had the means to fire him now. Collins' choices were either be fired and never snif a P5 HC job again, quit and get nothing, or play ball with Tstan. When Geoff agreed to play ball, then Todd goes out and says, "this is my guy". It looks to me like Stansbury has effectively taken control of the FB program. There's speculation in other threads that CGC might name himself DC - I doubt that's an option under Tstan's rules. Hopefully, the donor commitments can be used to hire coordinators if it' not needed for the buyout.

This is all speculation on my part. I only know what I've read and may be all wet, but it makes sense of what's happened in the past week. I think CGC is on a short leash with one more year to make this work. I've never cared for him due to all the hype and "style" crap with no substance, but I've always wanted him to succeed because his success is GT's success.
This is what I think as well. Saying publicly you have the money changes the leverage game and CGC ended with zero. TStan also knows his career is at risk so he needed to move agressively and try to limit the damage or outright fix the problem. The OC and DC hires are critical. If we can keep CGC's recruiting strength and actually have real coaches in control on both sides of the ball then we may be on to something

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I have often said Josh P is the real deal and he is. We happened to be in Barsalona year before last when Tech was playing/and practicing preseason against the Spanish National Teams and my wife texted JP to ask where/when they were playing. He answered her text and had his assistant give us the locations and admission credentials so we were able to attend those games. It was definitely something I was excited to attend and witness and was one of the high points of our travels through Spain and Portugal.
How does one track down the number for a head coach? Wouldn’t think some coaches would want the public to have their number.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
How does one track down the number for a head coach? Wouldn’t think some coaches would want the public to have their number.
CJP is a different kind of guy. While I doubt he gives out his cell phone number to fans on a regular basis, he gives out his email address all the time and encourages fans to email him. I have never emailed him, but I have heard multiple accounts of people who have and each has received a prompt reply from the head coach.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Either TStan has a master plan or his head in the sand. We’ll know by game 5 next year.
First, I have no idea why he picked CGC maybe it was the money people who push it. I wasn't crazy about a 7 year deal to a coach that had only had 2 years as a head coach, But no matter the reason he kind of had to do what he did. Think a minute you hire a coach for 7 years and fire him after 3 years who in their right mind would want to work for someone like that who fired a coach after year 3 with 7 years on his contract. So he had to make choice fire CGC and make some fans happy or keep him save the money hope he can find a good OC and DC. How much say so he will have in who the DC and OC is I have no idea but now you have to let CGC do the picking. I know some say if CGC doesn't work out Tstan will lose his job, but has anyone really heard that said by someone who could fire Tstan ?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I dont know why folks are wanting ADTS fired. He led the AI2020 initiative that raised $200,000,000.00 in 18 months. He has received numerous awards from the Atlanta community that no other AD has gotten, which leads one to bel6he is well respected in the Atl business community. We have the games at the Benz which produce more money for us than a standard home game. He is leading a charge to improve GT Athletics in all areas from fully funded scholarships to a new Edge building to getting us over the hump in terms of donating so we can be on a level playing field with other FBS teams in all sports. All other sports are on the rise and really, how much lower can football go? So it has to be on the rise next year. But yea, let's can him because he likes the guy we hate....gotcha.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont know why folks are wanting ADTS fired. He led the AI2020 initiative that raised $200,000,000.00 in 18 months. He has received numerous awards from the Atlanta community that no other AD has gotten, which leads one to bel6he is well respected in the Atl business community. We have the games at the Benz which produce more money for us than a standard home game. He is leading a charge to improve GT Athletics in all areas from fully funded scholarships to a new Edge building to getting us over the hump in terms of donating so we can be on a level playing field with other FBS teams in all sports. All other sports are on the rise and really, how much lower can football go? So it has to be on the rise next year. But yea, let's can him because he likes the guy we hate....gotcha.
I'm wondering this as well. He was hired with the Total Person concept that he learned from Homer Rice. All the non revenue sports seem to be doing better under him. Just because one head coach hire isn't working like anyone wanted isn't a reason to get rid of him.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I will take a stab at this. TStan, if you talk to him, has a concept for Tech football that works for him. (Field a football team the Georgia Tech Way, not through recruiting, but through science and player development. Raise money to build the "science" angle ... nutrition, conditioning, analytics, etc. And ... be able to get them to the pros if they succeed.)

All fine. Raise money. Check. Recruit better. Check. Get players ready for the NFL. Uncheck.

If you are going to do it, then do it. If you are not, then don't. Right now, I would say TStan is partially pregnant and can't decide if he wants to be a father to a mutant. He won't use words publicly that he does privately, so that's an issue because it muddles his whole message.

I don't want to see him go as much as I want to see him commit and articulate his vision. He's very bureaucratic when that is not what the fanbase needs right now. We need clarity.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We do not agree on what we want to see on the football field, but I agree with your view of TStan here. It would be a shame to let him go

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Unless someone on here has billions of dollars they want to give to Tech then it doesn't matter. no one's opinion matters on here we can't change anything some like to think we can but we can't. (need more proof who is still the head coach)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I will take a stab at this. TStan, if you talk to him, has a concept for Tech football that works for him. (Field a football team the Georgia Tech Way, not through recruiting, but through science and player development. Raise money to build the "science" angle ... nutrition, conditioning, analytics, etc. And ... be able to get them to the pros if they succeed.)

All fine. Raise money. Check. Recruit better. Check. Get players ready for the NFL. Uncheck.

If you are going to do it, then do it. If you are not, then don't. Right now, I would say TStan is partially pregnant and can't decide if he wants to be a father to a mutant. He won't use words publicly that he does privately, so that's an issue because it muddles his whole message.

I don't want to see him go as much as I want to see him commit and articulate his vision. He's very bureaucratic when that is not what the fanbase needs right now. We need clarity.
In my opinion, TStan is only directly responsible for one of those items. He has the ultimate responsibility for recruiting and getting players developed, but at a managerial level. He has to delegate those responsibilities. If those things aren't happening, then it is up to him to provide resources, and then hold the people below him responsible. I think he has done a lot of good for the athletic department overall. While I am disappointed that the HC wasn't let go this year, I would not want TStan to leave. IF next year is as bad and he does not take action with the HC then I would want both of them gone.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
While I am disappointed that the HC wasn't let go this year, I would not want TStan to leave.
We can agree that at other schools, CGC would have been fired. But a job that ADTS has is to oversee the finances of GTAA. The money isn't there to pay out 7 million to 1 guy AND untold millions to a new staff. Sometimes a decision based only on money can backfire, but I believe that it's easier for him to hitch his wagon to CGC for 1 more year, much more manageable buyout, than to come out and say we don't have the money.
Sidenote: I dont believe that a midseason firing is good. It rarely gets you the guy you wanted because no one wants to work for a boss that makes knee jerk reactions. UConn fired their coach 3 games into the year and got Jim Mora. What kids wants to play for Jim Mora? LSU fired O midway through the season and they still dont have a coach, whiffing on all the big names. So we should expect to have CGC until at least the day after Clean Old Fashioned Hate 2022.