Stansbury

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Stansbury is not in trouble like some on here want to believe. The reason is CGC was an O'Leary guy, and CGC was pushed ahead of the line by a LOT of big money donors who are still enamored by the O'Leary/Ross years. Stansbury has a lot of political capital within GT because he's done a very good job elsewhere, and he listened to a lot of influential people when hiring CGC. If anything, Stansbury will have even more say on the next coach as the CGC backers will most likely stay out of the way this time, and when another coach is hired, those same big money CGC backers will step up because they know they are as responsible for this debacle as Stansbury.

If you are irked by Stansbury's "stand by your man" public routine, just know it's a public show of support because saying otherwise does more damage to GT and hiring potential coaches than showing support to an obvious problem. Also, we were in season, last thing you want is players not giving full effort because they know their coaches are dead men walking.

If you want to know how it really stands, just know that Stansbury making it public that GT has already gathered the money to fire CGC if we need to isn't just a flippant comment to appease some reporter. Do you think discussions of buyout ahead of Year 4 happen without Stansbury involvement? Think about that.
So I’ve been of another mind on TS’s role in all this, but to be honest, you make a good case. Thank you

gtme2000

Georgia Tech Fan
That is demonstrably untrue. Collins says this is his dream job. At least 2 other candidates were also interested but were, rightly or wrongly, stiff armed by the powers that be.
He also said Temple was his dream job when hired there. That’s what we like to call pillow talk. On transition bs that keeps being brought up everywhere, 2* Lineman Shaq Mason “Transitioned” from TO to starting for the best team in the NFL in what, less than 12 months? In science to disprove a hypothesis we only need a single data point in contradiction, as we all know, irregardless of how many are in support of it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
He also said Temple was his dream job when hired there. That’s what we like to call pillow talk. On transition bs that keeps being brought up everywhere, 2* Lineman Shaq Mason “Transitioned” from TO to starting for the best team in the NFL in what, less than 12 months? In science to disprove a hypothesis we only need a single data point in contradiction, as we all know, irregardless of how many are in support of it.
Well said. FB players are FB players. Most of them were the best players on their team, all region, or all state.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
It's occurred to me that Tstan may be holding all the cards here. By getting donor commitments to cover the buyout and releasing that information to the media, he was free to let Collins know that he had the means to fire him now. Collins' choices were either be fired and never snif a P5 HC job again, quit and get nothing, or play ball with Tstan. When Geoff agreed to play ball, then Todd goes out and says, "this is my guy". It looks to me like Stansbury has effectively taken control of the FB program. There's speculation in other threads that CGC might name himself DC - I doubt that's an option under Tstan's rules. Hopefully, the donor commitments can be used to hire coordinators if it' not needed for the buyout.

This is all speculation on my part. I only know what I've read and may be all wet, but it makes sense of what's happened in the past week. I think CGC is on a short leash with one more year to make this work. I've never cared for him due to all the hype and "style" crap with no substance, but I've always wanted him to succeed because his success is GT's success.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's occurred to me that Tstan may be holding all the cards here. By getting donor commitments to cover the buyout and releasing that information to the media, he was free to let Collins know that he had the means to fire him now. Collins' choices were either be fired and never snif a P5 HC job again, quit and get nothing, or play ball with Tstan. When Geoff agreed to play ball, then Todd goes out and says, "this is my guy". It looks to me like Stansbury has effectively taken control of the FB program. There's speculation in other threads that CGC might name himself DC - I doubt that's an option under Tstan's rules. Hopefully, the donor commitments can be used to hire coordinators if it' not needed for the buyout.

This is all speculation on my part. I only know what I've read and may be all wet, but it makes sense of what's happened in the past week. I think CGC is on a short leash with one more year to make this work. I've never cared for him due to all the hype and "style" crap with no substance, but I've always wanted him to succeed because his success is GT's success.
It would be comforting to think that TStan actually has a plan behind the scenes and is taking charge of the program. That beats the heck out of chaos and free fall.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It would be comforting to think that TStan actually has a plan behind the scenes and is taking charge of the program. That beats the heck out of chaos and free fall.

First, I doubt TStan did what the quoted post suggested. That would be a no win situation for him. If it didn't work out then his job is that much harder in luring a coach because no coach is going to want to coach under an AD who took that approach. If it does work out and the moves magically turn around the direction of the program, then he's just created animosity between himself and the head coach which would likely lead to either Collins leaving or putting pressure to change ADs. If Collins leave then you have the same situation as the above where you're fighting against that stigma you've created. And the alternative is basically being pushed out the door with that reputation which will make it harder to get hired. More likely it was a lot less hardball than the power fantasies people make up here and a lot more cooperative with maybe some leaked information to try and make Collins more amenable.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if what has happened was part of the plan TStan had when making the hire to begin with. Not the specifics of how bad it has been but the general trend. It was going to be hard to lure any proven commodity at OC to come here to take on the project of transitioning from the option. So first focus on recruiting and then after a couple of classes bank on the recruiting yielding a roster that is more attractive to a higher potential OC. Defense is another issue.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Y’all must also believe in Santa Claus if you still believe there is some sort of “plan” or “thought process”. The Collins experiment has failed. Right now everyone (TStan) is just responding to 100-0 and the truth being exposed. And ND and UGA were nice about it. It could have been 125-0 if they wanted. We couldn’t stop a forward pass in either game.

It‘s all just words. Unless Collins does not attend practices or games we know how this will end.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Y’all must also believe in Santa Claus if you still believe there is some sort of “plan” or “thought process”. The Collins experiment has failed. Right now everyone (TStan) is just responding to 100-0 and the truth being exposed. And ND and UGA were nice about it. It could have been 125-0 if they wanted. We couldn’t stop a forward pass in either game.

It‘s all just words. Unless Collins does not attend practices or games we know how this will end.
We're all just speculating just like you.
But what I do know is that our fan base is shattered, our players are getting thrashed on Twitter, and calling out fans for not being at the game yesterday and that isn't a good look.

No one knows what's going on behind closed doors, but what we do know is that Collins is here next year and likely on a tight leash.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck

Has CGC ever had to fire someone before? If not, he just did. that is a feeling he will not ever want to have again. And now he knows how close to home it is for him as well. If that doesn’t prompt change, I don’t know what does.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Has CGC ever had to fire someone before? If not, he just did. that is a feeling he will not ever want to have again. And now he knows how close to home it is for him as well. If that doesn’t prompt change, I don’t know what does.
Man, I really, really want to be optimistic and believe this. I really do. But, I believed for 2 plus years. I will go to my grave reliving that feeling of paralysis as I sat in my seat at the end of the NIU game. I could barely walk back to my car I was so shaken. It’s my own fault for believing what Collins was telling us. I wasn’t upset that we lost to NIU. I was upset because in that moment I saw this entire season at one time. In that 1 game we saw what Collins was as a coach - his team played soft, his players were slow, his OLine had no push, and his QB was consistently inconsistent after an entire season of game reps. Collins is 50 years old. He ain’t changing.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, I really, really want to be optimistic and believe this. I really do. But, I believed for 2 plus years. I will go to my grave reliving that feeling of paralysis as I sat in my seat at the end of the NIU game. I could barely walk back to my car I was so shaken. It’s my own fault for believing what Collins was telling us. I wasn’t upset that we lost to NIU. I was upset because in that moment I saw this entire season at one time. In that 1 game we saw what Collins was as a coach - his team played soft, his players were slow, his OLine had no push, and his QB was consistently inconsistent after an entire season of game reps. Collins is 50 years old. He ain’t changing.
You are probably right. And I feel the same way. But I love GT and thus, have no other option but to get behind these guys for another year and hope the staff changes made the difference.

JPaul

Georgia Tech Fan
Good lord man, he just brought in a top 25 class with 2 4-stars with the third player being a top 150 guy. We are a relatively young team outside of the 4 seniors (2 of which are Covid seniors) and Pastner has repeatedly proven that he can develop players. There is also this thing called the transfer portal where he can go to fill in gaps in the roster next year.
I have often said Josh P is the real deal and he is. We happened to be in Barsalona year before last when Tech was playing/and practicing preseason against the Spanish National Teams and my wife texted JP to ask where/when they were playing. He answered her text and had his assistant give us the locations and admission credentials so we were able to attend those games. It was definitely something I was excited to attend and witness and was one of the high points of our travels through Spain and Portugal.