Stansbury

LibertyTurns

Banned
I can't believe people are willing to endure years of losing seasons to just return to the same level we were at before this train wreck started. You will have multi years of students that will be out of the habit of going to games, you have tons of season ticket holders doing the same....you have student athletes that very well may not see a winning season in there time on the flats....the short sightless is allowing this distruction to take place to begin with.
You’re hoping we can get back to O’Leary/Chan/Johnson levels. That’s something like 9 straight seasons of 8-5 football to hit the mark. Anybody think this staff has that kind of run in them? We’ll be lucky to get 4-5 wins per season. At least we got our colors in common with Vandy.

Animal02

Banned
You’re hoping we can get back to O’Leary/Chan/Johnson levels. That’s something like 9 straight seasons of 8-5 football to hit the mark. Anybody think this staff has that kind of run in them? We’ll be lucky to get 4-5 wins per season. At least we got our colors in common with Vandy.
Pathetic isn't it......hoping to return to 6 wins a year. The same people who's heads exploded because the bowl streak ended are now content with 3-4 wins a year while being promised some hopey changed in the future.....oh, and maybe have a former player in the NFL.

But no more grumpy press conferences..........

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The OP asked, "Does anyone know how he (Stansbury) feels about the situation?"

I am sure he does not like the situation. He spoke internally (at the AA) of being "laser-focused" on fixing the football program and the results aren't there. Because Collins is his hire, he will have to keep a very low profile to maintain distance. My guess is that for the next 24 months, Todd will focus on fund-raising and building the new Edge.

Overall? I think Todd probably feels ok. The AI2020 was a big success, money is coming in from the ACCN, and the other sports are looking ok. My guess is that no one wanted to be the one to have to flip the roster. A lot of coaches won't even touch a program without talent ... that's why the rumor is that Lane Kiffin is going to jump to LSU ... he's losing 17 starters and his QB. So Todd is willing to live with Geoff struggling while new facilities are built, some costs get reduced, and we're in a better place in 2 years than today

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Some of y'all it seems want those very donors that forked over money to hire Collins, and Tstan who hired him, now to do a 180 and find another coach.
As I said in the other thread. There is very very slim chance that GT Will fire Collins or buyout his contract. We don't have the funding, nor do we have the credibility to fire and re hire to quick
That's the position we're in.
The best thing that can be done is Tstan forcing Collins to make some changes on his approach and staff. If we need donors to help with money to hire better coordinators, I'd pitch in for that. But I'm not pitching in money to fire a coach then again to hire a new one

Most of us are not satisfied with 3-4 win seasons, no bowls or UGA blow outs. We're stuck, but we also need to look big picture and what is actually available for GT right now.
Tstan as coach Collins boss must fix this

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tstan as coach Collins boss must fix this
He can't.

Why is Tennessee struggling? Why has Auburn (before this year) been struggling? Why has Alabama done so well in the Saban era?

Saban did one thing that no other coach in the modern era has done. He refused to take the job unless he had 100% control, including NO DONORS in the program. The Alabama program bears no resemblance today to the Alabama program of 2007. It is now a completely professional operation that will likely continue to do well regardless of the head coach. That will ultimately be Saban's legacy.

Tech? Unable to generate funds on its own, at least at scale, means Tech depends on its donors to fund the program. And a handful call the shots. Just like at Tennessee ... it is the Haslam's that decide virtually everything. It's one of the reasons that program remains a dysfunctional mess.

Auburn has the same problem. But, Bryan Harsin was not the donors choice ... Kevin Steele was. But Harsin is winning, he's willing to fire underperforming coordinators/coaches, and is committed to winning. I'm amazed that a total outsider has basically said, "Leave me alone, I don't care what you think, I know this game." So far, it's euphoria on the Plains.

Todd doesn't have that luxury. The donors wanted Collins. And what the donors want, Todd has to provide. He has almost no ability to resist, so it's another reason why Tech will be more like Vanderbilit in the future than less ... generate revenue from football via the ACCN, build up the other sports. I think that's the model. I think as far as a football team ... 7-5 is the goal and a lower tier bowl. I don't think Tstan will ever say that, but I'm sure he's thinking it ... esp as attendance continues to nose dive.

Animal02

Banned
We are a lot closer to fixing this than we were 2 years ago. Wins are one thing, playing better with better players is another.
Wins are the only thing. No one looks back and says " we played at an elite level losing to UGAg 52-0". or we played so much better losing to Clemp than last year.......well the only ones that do think that are the Collins cultists

Animal02

Banned
He can't.

Why is Tennessee struggling? Why has Auburn (before this year) been struggling? Why has Alabama done so well in the Saban era?

Saban did one thing that no other coach in the modern era has done. He refused to take the job unless he had 100% control, including NO DONORS in the program. The Alabama program bears no resemblance today to the Alabama program of 2007. It is now a completely professional operation that will likely continue to do well regardless of the head coach. That will ultimately be Saban's legacy.

Tech? Unable to generate funds on its own, at least at scale, means Tech depends on its donors to fund the program. And a handful call the shots. Just like at Tennessee ... it is the Haslam's that decide virtually everything. It's one of the reasons that program remains a dysfunctional mess.

Auburn has the same problem. But, Bryan Harsin was not the donors choice ... Kevin Steele was. But Harsin is winning, he's willing to fire underperforming coordinators/coaches, and is committed to winning. I'm amazed that a total outsider has basically said, "Leave me alone, I don't care what you think, I know this game." So far, it's euphoria on the Plains.

Todd doesn't have that luxury. The donors wanted Collins. And what the donors want, Todd has to provide. He has almost no ability to resist, so it's another reason why Tech will be more like Vanderbilit in the future than less ... generate revenue from football via the ACCN, build up the other sports. I think that's the model. I think as far as a football team ... 7-5 is the goal and a lower tier bowl. I don't think Tstan will ever say that, but I'm sure he's thinking it ... esp as attendance continues to nose dive.
That and TStan didn't have the guts to stand up to the big $$$$ donors.

Jmonty71

Banned
I don't blame TStan for making a bad hire with Collins. I do blame him for giving an untested coach such a multi-year deal.... Collins definitely got the best of that deal.... I mean, who wouldn't want a job where you don't have to deliver any type of performance for 4 years and still get paid a lot of money????

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't blame TStan for making a bad hire with Collins. I do blame him for giving an untested coach such a multi-year deal.... Collins definitely got the best of that deal.... I mean, who wouldn't want a job where you don't have to deliver any type of performance for 4 years and still get paid a lot of money????
I don't think he had that option. A proven coach would not want to sully his reputation with a rebuild of the magnitude of Tech's. Hire someone who can flip the roster and if it doesn't work out, you can upgrade with a coach and a team with talent.

As much as we might protest, the Tech job is not a great job today ... small fanbase (and getting smaller), limited curriculum, revenue and debt problems, few big donors. I recall Ross saying if he knew what he was getting into, he would not have taken the job.

Animal02

Banned
And a guarantee for 7...regardless of performance.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Question who hired the AD ? 2 nd question does anyone know another team that give a new head coach 7 years ?
Petersen hired Stansbury. Tennessee gave Heupel a six year deal with an automatic 1-yr extension if they go on probation due the previous coach.

slugboy

Staff member
Plus the minimum any coach hired in Collins’ year was 5 years guaranteed. Satterfield got six years at Louisville. Mack Brown got 5 years, but he could have gotten more if he wanted. Collins got 1-2 years “extra”.

Stansbury might have been able to negotiate a tighter contract, but the terms through the first four to five years would probably be the same or nearly so—full buyout if Collins is fired in the first 4 seasons, and laddering down after that.

If Collins had a 5 or 6 year deal, we would still be looking at a huge penalty for terminating in season 3.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech athletics overall is in a much better position today than it was in December 2018. There's more (conventional) talent on the football roster. We're in better financial shape. Our facilities are improving. Other sports are winning. We're only paying one BBall coach... and BB just won the ACC. If nothing else, hiring a 'pitch man' for a FB coach got enough excitement for AI2020 to be a huge success.

I don't know the full inside story of CGC's hiring. But I do know that Tech wasn't attracting (or affording) a proven coach. The job was rightfully seen as a tough rebuilding job. He had to give CGC a lucrative 7 year contract to get him to come here - a largely unproven G5 coach with ties to the Institute and city. We need to be realistic about the alternate histories. No other winning P5 or G5 HC was taking the job for what we could afford. If not CGC, we'd have been rolling the dice on a young FCS coach to skip a rung on the ladder or an assistant. Some folks wanted Scott Satterfield. (He was never going to take this job.) L'ville doesn't look a whole lot better than Tech and he inherited a much better situation. Wisenhunt had no meaningful college coaching experience. If Tony Elliott ever leaves Clemson it'll be for a much better situation than Tech was offering. Even if TStan believed in sticking with the flexbone, I'm not even sure if Monken or Niumatalolo would have taken the job. Niumatalolo reportedly turned down AZ (with CPJ's advice). TStan has commented that Tech's identity had become its offense, which I agree with. They would have come into a very difficult situation, even if they didn't transition the offense. Realistically, CGC was probably the best available option and thus the correct choice, even if the results don't pan out.

A lot of folks wanted to fire Josh Pastner a few years ago. TStan probably could have, with cause, from the LaBarrie/Bell debacle. But we'd have been embroiled in litigation and probably ended up paying Pastner not to coach. Had to fill the job in a bad place. Instead, TStan was patient. We just won the ACC and got back to the big dance. The roster is in a much better place, we're in a better place financially, if the results aren't there the next couple years the 'next coach' will have a much better foundation.

I'm not saying we're two years from winning the ACC in FB. But, if nothing else, we do have a better foundation for 'the next coach'. I really expected to see meaningful progress this year and I'm discouraged. But there is improvement. Other than Pitt, we've been competitive in every game, had a chance to win into the 4th quarter. Last year, we didn't have any close losses. Recruiting has improved, there's talent on the roster to win... CGC could still turn the corner. I expect some accountability and staff changes this offseason. I'm 100% certain that TStan is not satisfied with three wins a year.

TStan inherited a bad situation all around from sasquatch. But he's mostly made the right decisions and put the athletics department on a good path. The CGC hire is the worst looking decision, right now. And hiring a FB coach is the AD's biggest job. But I don't believe there was an objectively better choice on offer in 2018, even with hindsight. I'm confident TStan is doing the things that need to be done and saying the things that need to be said behind the scenes. Because he's made good decisions as AD pretty much across the board.