Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think this will necessarily impact our other sports. Most of them have pretty good coaches in place. We can argue back-and-forth about Pastner, but hopefully he gets that turned around. I think this is purely a football situation right now.
I don't think you understand, FB finances all the other sports, somewhat MBB. FB revenue is down and likely to be down for a while if we even survive financially which I think we will somehow. But I see a long tough road ahead for GT athletics, not sure we survive at P5 level.
IMO we are at a crossroads that we've never faced and the first thing that has to happen for the first time ever is a commitment from the school that is substantial in it's meaning to make a difference going forward. If we don't get that I see it being over because things are in change in the current period both athletically and academically. The academic change may not yet be as recognizable to many but it is coming. GT academically happens to be in a good space for the future IMO.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Our ego seems to get in our way a lot. We make poor decisions (bad hires, bad contracts, pushing people out the door too soon, holding onto coaches too long) because we do not want our reputation ridiculed or we think we know better than others. We then look for scapegoats when those decision lead to worse results and the cycle repeats itself over and over again.

The big donor fans are especially guilty of this. They got tired of Gailey losing to ugag. They got tired of being made fun of CPJ's high school offense. Now, they are tired that the person they picked to replace CPJ keeps losing, as if they had nothing to do with the selection. At some point, I hope someone realizes the pattern of behavior here.

John R

Georgia Tech Fan
Stansbury or both I would say. Has to be Stansbury first.
Surely both, though it's far cheaper to just fire Stansbury. That is, of course, the wrong move, because Collins is textbook mediocre as a coach, but Stansbury hasn't demonstrated any real capability as an AD. If it was just Stansbury that negotiated the outrageous contract with Collins, the board should have the balls to simply refuse to make the payout to Collins, then litigate. If Stansbury can be proven through discovery depositions to have been colluding with Collins for mutual benefit, the contract can be voided.
I'm an ME that became a lawyer - I know, that's an odd career path. My nose tells me that the Collins contract would be suitable if we were trying to pull in a multiple-bowl winning coach, not a mediocre serial assistant coach drifter like Collins, a man that presents like a county fair carney. That contract smell to high heaven.
I know this is perhaps a harsh view of our current situation, but you have to consider that Stanbury has led us down an ugly path. Consider not just the economics of the Collins contract. You also have to factor in the lost ticket revenue over four years, lost TV revenue, lost bowl game revenue and payouts, and finally, the cost to rebuild. I see this number totaling more than $200 million. Boom.

John R

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not arguing for Collins to remain one day longer than necessary. I'm simply stating that there is a correct order of events, and I would run out the game theory: find the route that minimizes the economic damage as well as the reputational damage.
Of course, Collins must go; he's a terrible head coach. His proper station in life is as an assistant coach at a D2 school, or as a waterboy at a D1 school.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Welp, I was wrong. I'm very encouraged to hear that Cabrera personally got involved and made these changes. Which means: Somebody/ies with enough clout with the institute made it clear that the President needed to care about what was happening with athletics/football. I won't get my hopes up that this means significantly more support from the hill. But it does mean there's enough concern not to just let TStan continue. (Curious if there's more internal issues behind the scenes that'll come out like it did with MBob. Because up until the end of last football season, TStan had seemed to do a solid job.)

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
On a personal level, I feel sorry for Todd. He doesn’t get a golden parachute buyout like Collins, and I do believe he was trying to do what he thought was best for the program.

I just don’t understand how Todd looked at the team last year and thought some version of, “Let me double-down and hook my job to this coach.” Beyond me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Welp, I was wrong. I'm very encouraged to hear that Cabrera personally got involved and made these changes. Which means: Somebody/ies with enough clout with the institute made it clear that the President needed to care about what was happening with athletics/football. I won't get my hopes up that this means significantly more support from the hill. But it does mean there's enough concern not to just let TStan continue. (Curious if there's more internal issues behind the scenes that'll come out like it did with MBob. Because up until the end of last football season, TStan had seemed to do a solid job.)

IMO, this is the most interesting part of the AJC writeup, and something no one has brought up:

Cabrera has installed senior Frank Neville, the institute’s senior vice president for strategic initiatives and chief of staff, as the interim athletic director. The interim football coach’s identity was not immediately known.

Cabrera isn't even staying inside the Athletic Department. He's going to the Institute level to temporarily replace Stansbury. Looks like Cabrera wants an "outside" perspective on what's really going on with the Athletic department, and wants an honest opinion...and someone not beholden to donors and the old "GT way". IMO, this is a VERY good development for GT athletics. There's about to be a sea change in our athletic department.

Here's more about Neville:

EDIT: Funny enough (or ironically), Neville spoke about "Leading during a crisis" once...welp...

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
LOL!

GT Fan #1: Let's look for Coordinators who have won the Broyles awards
GT Fan #2: Collins won three at three different schools.
GT Fan #1: BS! He could not have won those since he sucked as a HC.

Pretty much. It's amazing how many people aren't familiar with the Peter Principle. Just because someone isn't successful at their current position doesn't mean they weren't ever successful at their former positions..