Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What was there for Cabrera to answer?
There is something to be said for not cutting your underlings off at the knees. Cabrera is not the AD. He made his statement, his decision and now ... the interim can address the issues.

The athletic program is important ... it's the front porch of the Institute. And I for one am delighted that a President of the Institute has taken such dramatic action. Let's see how it plays out.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't take two and two to figure out that Todd's blind loyalty to Collins , cost him his job. Many of us even said this last year when he came out with his "hes my man comment"

I get Todd may have been looking at the financial numbers rather than performance. But it was clear Todd didn't see the poor performance of football as a factor

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Does this guy ever have anything good to say about Tech? Prez Cabrera did fine…relax
Shultz is pissed because Cabrera did not hold a Press Conference yesterday. He also said some mildly disparaging things about Cabrera in a drive-by remark in yesterday’s column in the Athletic. Reads to me like a journalist pissed that Cabrera didn’t give him higher priority since he’s a member of The News Media.

dcall

Georgia Tech Fan
Did anyone notice that Key's response to how he thinks he can try to save the season was that they were going to demand detail and discipline in practice? He didn't exactly say that they haven't been up to this point, but it sure made the implication.
I picked up on that a couple of times.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone notice that Key's response to how he thinks he can try to save the season was that they were going to demand detail and discipline in practice? He didn't exactly say that they haven't been up to this point, but it sure made the implication.
I also remember him emphasizing accountability. Doesn't mean we weren't already focusing on that, but the implication is there.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Something else's that's not been talked about , about why both were fired now .
It's likely the school was already planning this, but because of the transfer portal and because of early signing being moved up.
Better to get a new AD in sooner that can get a HC in and be able to have time to recruit.
If we waited till November, there just wouldn't be as much time

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Something else's that's not been talked about , about why both were fired now .
It's likely the school was already planning this, but because of the transfer portal and because of early signing being moved up.
Better to get a new AD in sooner that can get a HC in and be able to have time to recruit.
If we waited till November, there just wouldn't be as much time
Did the fact that the athletic budget went from a surplus to several million over budget under Stansbury's reign. That deficit was in one of the AJC articles. I would think managing finances is another aspect of the job. We also don't know how vigorously TStan argued to give Collins another year to right the ship after the last two games were such a mess last year. He must have bet his career on it or over estimated his job security.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Man I’ll tell you what…I just watched Cabrera’s presser. Not taking questions didn’t really bother me until I watched this thing. I’m not sure I could have been less impressed. It came across as him just reading a statement that someone prepared for him…and probably reading it cold for the first time. The mighty yellow jackets? Have we ever referred to ourselves with that term. Yeesh. Let’s hope we don’t screw these next two months up.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It definitely makes you wonder what sort of disagreements were going on within the staff. But look, it doesn’t take a genius to see we have issues with attention to detail and are undisciplined. Dead ball penalties, special teams debacles, missed assignments for 3+ years straight makes that kind of obvious. But at least everyone felt loved.

Hopefully this stuff gets corrected and not just talked about.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man I’ll tell you what…I just watched Cabrera’s presser. Not taking questions didn’t really bother me until I watched this thing. I’m not sure I could have been less impressed. It came across as him just reading a statement that someone prepared for him…and probably reading it cold for the first time. The mighty yellow jackets? Have we ever referred to ourselves with that term. Yeesh. Let’s hope we don’t screw these next two months up.

You know impressed me about Cabrera? He stepped in and let Stansbury and Collins go 4 games into the season and GT ate millions of dollars we could have saved by just waiting.

Words are cheap. Actions are what count. We'll see how this goes, but he's already ahead in my book with the actions he took and what he touched on, and what Neville said.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There is something to be said for not cutting your underlings off at the knees. Cabrera is not the AD. He made his statement, his decision and now ... the interim can address the issues.

The athletic program is important ... it's the front porch of the Institute. And I for one am delighted that a President of the Institute has taken such dramatic action. Let's see how it plays out.
Well I’m certain that a group of alumni that fund both athletics and academics had a lot to do with his decision. I think he did a poor job with the speech, but it doesn’t really matter - it’s not his wheelhouse and doesn’t need to be, so no real reason to dwell on it.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Cabrera said why they fired Stansbury and Collins during his talk. He said it was because of poor football results over 3+ seasons. I believe he also said that that the Athletic Department wasn't going in the right direction.

I saw reasons for keeping Stansbury, and I understood the financials of keeping Collins through the season.
Neville has been on the Board of Trustees and is not new to this situation. You could have asked him.
Also, it’s not hard to figure out the answer to your question. Stansbury was the AD. He vouched that Collins would turn the program around. Stansbury said we had close one-score games and those were the difference. He argued that we’d lose last year’s recruiting class if we fired Collins at the end of the year. In four games this year, we lost to Clemson by 41-10, beat WCU 35-17, lost 42-0 to Ole Miss, and then lost to UCF 27-10. The administration was embarrassed by the last two games of last season, looked at the first four games of this season, and saw more embarrassment coming.

If Schultz's question was "why did you fire Stansbury and Collins?", he's not investigating things very well.

BTW, Schultz has said he understands firing Collins--just not Stansbury.

Neville did answer what they're looking for in a new AD, and the second thing he said was roughly "someone who can navigate a rapidly changing NCAA". That's really the answer--we weren't adapting quickly enough.

What was there for Cabrera to answer?
My point just isn’t getting through, is it?
“Poor performance” - well no (bleep) Sherlock. We all wanted that guy gone
But why not override TS last season? What was the tipping point?
Sure Schultz understands why Collins is gone. We all do. But not having the guy who ultimately made the decision on both entertain any questions is Schultz’s point
Such as, was there anything else that factored into letting TS go, other than Collins?
There are plenty of questions to ask
That’s what Schultz and Ken do

I got no problem at all with what Cabrera did
I got no problem with what he said
But in Schultz’s shoes, he would have liked the guy who dropped the axe to answer some questions
I’m looking at this from their perspective

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I can’t even process this comment. I thought Cabrera aced it. I don’t give a crap that he didn’t take questions. It’s completely and utterly meaningless that he didn’t. He said all the right things. I didn’t get the impression at all that it was something he didn’t have a hand in crafting. Your comments sound like someone who was looking for reasons to criticize. Of everything he said your takeaway was about his mighty Yellow Jackets comment? Really? Not that he was committed to doing what was needed to make our athletics among the best in the nation. I thought he made it personal and made it clear it meant something more to him than just as President but as an alumnus and as the husband and father of alumni.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I can’t even process this comment. I thought Cabrera aced it. I don’t give a crap that he didn’t take questions. It’s completely and utterly meaningless that he didn’t. He said all the right things. I didn’t get the impression at all that it was something he didn’t have a hand in crafting. Your comments sound like someone who was looking for reasons to criticize. Of everything he said your takeaway was about his mighty Yellow Jackets comment? Really? Not that he was committed to doing what was needed to make our athletics among the best in the nation. I thought he made it personal and made it clear it meant something more to him than just as President but as an alumnus and as the husband and father of alumni.
Nah man, you misinterpreted. It’s not what was said, but how it was delivered. The mighty yellow jacket thing was admittedly a little bit of a nitpick and not my main takeaway at all.

The speech in general had the right message, but was delivered without any energy whatsoever. It came across like a leader reading a statement someone had prepared for him that he was reading for the first time in front of the camera. And while maybe his head is in the right place, how information is delivered matters - especially from those in leadership positions.

Leaders not only need to deliver the right message, but need to instill confidence that what they’re saying is true and will be seen through. In short, I’m not sure I believe him, which leaves me in a “we will see” state.

slugboy

Staff member
Well I’m certain that a group of alumni that fund both athletics and academics had a lot to do with his decision. I think he did a poor job with the speech, but it doesn’t really matter - it’s not his wheelhouse and doesn’t need to be, so no real reason to dwell on it.

The academic funding at Tech is a much bigger deal and is much bigger money than the athletic money (that’s not the case at most of our surrounding schools).

The catalyst was really the optics of the Notre Dame and the UGA games last year. Cabrera took notice of some of the problems of the AA then. It’s not something he’d directly spend a lot of calories on since he has an all-consuming day job.

The only point that Cabrera had to make is that this problem is taken seriously at the top and that Neville is in charge and has support from the top. After that, Neville is the leader at the AA and gets all the questions because he’s the LEADER.

My point just isn’t getting through, is it?
“Poor performance” - well no (bleep) Sherlock. We all wanted that guy gone
But why not override TS last season? What was the tipping point?
Sure Schultz understands why Collins is gone. We all do. But not having the guy who ultimately made the decision on both entertain any questions is Schultz’s point
Such as, was there anything else that factored into letting TS go, other than Collins?
There are plenty of questions to ask
That’s what Schultz and Ken do

I got no problem at all with what Cabrera did
I got no problem with what he said
But in Schultz’s shoes, he would have liked the guy who dropped the axe to answer some questions
I’m looking at this from their perspective

I’ll turn that question back on you—did you get the point I was making and the point of the meeting?

You can read my response to bke1984 where I say that Cabrera’s mission in his speech was to lay out that the situation at the AA is taken seriously at the top of the organization and that he’s appointed his best person to lead the AA while we fix it. At that point, Neville owned the room and all the questions. If Cabrera takes the questions, he’s saying “ask me and not Neville” which counters what he was doing at the meeting.

Schultz could have asked a ton of interesting questions if he had any antenna for organizational dynamics. He showed up ready to ask Cabrera a question and he wasn’t ready for anything else. Neville was the guy to ask.

Look at the timing. Cabrera sees an embarrassing situation at the AA at the Notre Dame and UGA games last year—especially the UGA game. The AA had been a functional but not welcoming front door to the university, but now it’s an eyesore. Stansbury is respected in the business community around Atlanta—he won “executive of the year”. While Stansbury was being given a chance to fix the football and AA problems, the administration evaluated the situation and dug in.

Neville is obviously the “fixer” from Cabrera for the AA problems. Schultz could have asked when Neville started looking into the AA and the football team. He could have asked how long the Board of Trustees has been discussing the state of the football team and the AA finances. He could have dug in on the need for someone who can handle the “new and shifting NCAA landscape”.

My bet is that Neville has been examining the AA dynamics since at least November. Cabrera doesn’t have time to fix the AA personally, or even dig into all the problems. Neville didn’t have that free time either, but Cabrera could rearrange responsibilities enough for Neville to fix the AA dumpster fire. Schultz or Suguira could have found out and confirmed by digging in with good questions yesterday. Neville is on the Board of Trustees and has been this whole time. Schultz misread the press conference and dynamics and wasn’t ready.

(Why didn’t Collins get fired in November? 1. Stansbury said “we can fix this” and 2. Cabrera and probably Neville preferred to use the offseason to gauge and plan their response and see what needed to be done at the AA. When no improvement was visible after 3-4 games and there were other issues at the AA, Cabrera and Neville acted)

Suguira wasn’t really prepared either, but he was more prepared than Schultz.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Schultz had his story mostly written before the press conference, and had pre-filled spots for Cabrera’s answers.

Nah man, you misinterpreted. It’s not what was said, but how it was delivered. The mighty yellow jacket thing was admittedly a little bit of a nitpick and not my main takeaway at all.

The speech in general had the right message, but was delivered without any energy whatsoever. It came across like a leader reading a statement someone had prepared for him that he was reading for the first time in front of the camera. And while maybe his head is in the right place, how information is delivered matters - especially from those in leadership positions.

Leaders not only need to deliver the right message, but need to instill confidence that what they’re saying is true and will be seen through. In short, I’m not sure I believe him, which leaves me in a “we will see” state.

I’d say that was a pretty energetic speech for a university president.

But, we were always going to be in a “wait and see” situation unless he showed up and said the wrong things. He said the right things. Now it’s time to wait and see.

He put a big gun in charge of the AA. So far, the actions look right.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You can characterize it that way. I don't. There was a conscious decision not to do the deed on Sunday and let the team find out through social media knowing it had leaked. As a result, there are a lot of angry players and parents, some of whom are now considering leaving not simply because the coach was fired, but because of how it was handled, which flies directly in the face of the family environment we supposedly foster here at GT. Most of those parents/athletes knew this was coming, and had this been handled inhouse with them first, it wouldn't have caused the problems it has. We will see in the next few weeks, but don't be shocked if some big names hit the portal real soon.
I would expect a number of players to hit the portal regardless of how it was handled, that's just part of a coaching change.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The academic funding at Tech is a much bigger deal and is much bigger money than the athletic money (that’s not the case at most of our surrounding schools).

The catalyst was really the optics of the Notre Dame and the UGA games last year. Cabrera took notice of some of the problems of the AA then. It’s not something he’d directly spend a lot of calories on since he has an all-consuming day job.

The only point that Cabrera had to make is that this problem is taken seriously at the top and that Neville is in charge and has support from the top. After that, Neville is the leader at the AA and gets all the questions because he’s the LEADER.

I’ll turn that question back on you—did you get the point I was making and the point of the meeting?

You can read my response to bke1984 where I say that Cabrera’s mission in his speech was to lay out that the situation at the AA is taken seriously at the top of the organization and that he’s appointed his best person to lead the AA while we fix it. At that point, Neville owned the room and all the questions. If Cabrera takes the questions, he’s saying “ask me and not Neville” which counters what he was doing at the meeting.

Schultz could have asked a ton of interesting questions if he had any antenna for organizational dynamics. He showed up ready to ask Cabrera a question and he wasn’t ready for anything else. Neville was the guy to ask.

Look at the timing. Cabrera sees an embarrassing situation at the AA at the Notre Dame and UGA games last year—especially the UGA game. The AA had been a functional but not welcoming front door to the university, but now it’s an eyesore. Stansbury is respected in the business community around Atlanta—he won “executive of the year”. While Stansbury was being given a chance to fix the football and AA problems, the administration evaluated the situation and dug in.

Neville is obviously the “fixer” from Cabrera for the AA problems. Schultz could have asked when Neville started looking into the AA and the football team. He could have asked how long the Board of Trustees has been discussing the state of the football team and the AA finances. He could have dug in on the need for someone who can handle the “new and shifting NCAA landscape”.

My bet is that Neville has been examining the AA dynamics since at least November. Cabrera doesn’t have time to fix the AA personally, or even dig into all the problems. Neville didn’t have that free time either, but Cabrera could rearrange responsibilities enough for Neville to fix the AA dumpster fire. Schultz or Suguira could have found out and confirmed by digging in with good questions yesterday. Neville is on the Board of Trustees and has been this whole time. Schultz misread the press conference and dynamics and wasn’t ready.

(Why didn’t Collins get fired in November? 1. Stansbury said “we can fix this” and 2. Cabrera and probably Neville preferred to use the offseason to gauge and plan their response and see what needed to be done at the AA. When no improvement was visible after 3-4 games and there were other issues at the AA, Cabrera and Neville acted)

Suguira wasn’t really prepared either, but he was more prepared than Schultz.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Schultz had his story mostly written before the press conference, and had pre-filled spots for Cabrera’s answers.

I’d say that was a pretty energetic speech for a university president.

But, we were always going to be in a “wait and see” situation unless he showed up and said the wrong things. He said the right things. Now it’s time to wait and see.

He put a big gun in charge of the AA. So far, the actions look right.
This is a strong read on the situation. Prez has been preparing for this moment. It’s highly encouraging

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
So I have a question about timing.

It was reported here that normal player meetings for Sunday were cancelled, which was taken as a sign that Collins was going to be fired.

Key said that the coaches were in their presumably regular Sunday meeting when their phones blew up with the rumors.

The AJC says Collins came in and went to work Monday, presumably not having been told to come in to see the President.

So if the coaches were going about business as usual, why were player meetings cancelled, if in fact they were? I can’t imagine anyone other than Collins making that decision given the other facts.

Also, what is the normal NCAA mandatory day off for the players? Is the school allowed to schedule mandatory meetings on that day?
My understanding was that they knew enough on Sunday from the media to cancel the player meetings, but CGC hadn't heard officially from anyone at the school that he was fired. So until he had the paperwork saying he was done, he had to just come to work as usual.