Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
CPJ retired. We haven't fired a coach in a while. Not sure what they did with Gailey.

Gailey took a job with teh NFL actually. he was the OC for the Kansas city Cheifs in 08. So it was less fo a your fired and more of a "we aren't going to match to keep you here" we bought out the rest of his contract and dismissed him but he already basically had the KC job. And he did talk to the team I believe.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Is this normal procedure with a dismissal? When cpj stepped down he had a team talk before the public announcement?
When you retire from a job, they throw a party for you and you get to eat cake.

When you are fired, people don't usually throw a party for you.

I think he should have been allowed to talk to the team before it became official, but to me that's on Stansbury.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm not surprised, but I'd ask this:

Did anyone expect us to be much better than this after four games? Yeah, the number of blocked punts stands out, but most people did not believe we'd be better than 1-3 by this point...right? Did we think we'd play Ole Miss or Clemson much closer?

I was under the impression that the fanbase expectations were pretty conservative for this first quarter of the season. Is it just the quality of play everyone is seeing, rather than the scores and results?
No I didn't and that's because Collins should've been gone over the offseason.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Gailey took a job with teh NFL actually. he was the OC for the Kansas city Cheifs in 08. So it was less fo a your fired and more of a "we aren't going to match to keep you here" we bought out the rest of his contract and dismissed him but he already basically had the KC job. And he did talk to the team I believe.

Not true. Radakovich dismissed Gailey in November and he ended up landing the KC job mid Jan.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
To add to my other post. I am pretty sure gailey was told at the beginning of 07 if he didn't beat UGA he was done. So he already had his agent doing feelers just in case.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Is this normal procedure with a dismissal? When cpj stepped down he had a team talk before the public announcement?

Honestly seems a bit odd and pretty cold for the school to this to the team. Something else must have gone down for them to treat the team that way if it's not normal procedure

CPJ retired. We haven't fired a coach in a while. Not sure what they did with Gailey.

Gailey took a job with teh NFL actually. he was the OC for the Kansas city Cheifs in 08. So it was less fo a your fired and more of a "we aren't going to match to keep you here"

Gailey was fired. He didn't take an OC job instead of staying here on his own.

PJ left on his own/retired.

I can only imagine either Collins put up a stink or something. No other reason not to let him talk to the team, right? Maybe Collins pulled a Leo from Wolf of Wall Street and just said "I'm not leaving. I'm staying. They can't make me leave!"

Oh Yeah Yes GIF by Jordan Belfort

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I was under the impression that the fanbase expectations were pretty conservative for this first quarter of the season. Is it just the quality of play everyone is seeing, rather than the scores and results?
I think it is more that we have regressed 4 years in a row now, no sign of improvement at all. Results can come at different times but 4 years in you still have game management, roster, special teams, ext problems then its time to go.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
To add to my other post. I am pretty sure gailey was told at the beginning of 07 if he didn't beat UGA he was done. So he already had his agent doing feelers just in case.

Well, recall that he interviewed for the Dolphins HC job the season before (during the season), and replied with, "Why wouldn't I talk about an opportunity like that?"

I think we all know what he's saying ... it just didn't come out in such a great way.

Techastrophe

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not surprised, but I'd ask this:

Did anyone expect us to be much better than this after four games? Yeah, the number of blocked punts stands out, but most people did not believe we'd be better than 1-3 by this point...right? Did we think we'd play Ole Miss or Clemson much closer?

It's more than just W-L. It's trust.
The persistent basic coaching issues evident on the field, lack of reasonable explanation for why they are persistent, and questionable team management stuff that wouldn't necessarily be a problem but with the basics not getting covered ate up patience even faster.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think it would be good for the new AD to focus on this and try to raise funds to reduce that debt. It is only going to hold us down in the future as those payments increase.
Agreed. Honestly our facilities are ‘good enough’ for a while. We should use whatever cash we can to payoff debt and get the AA to a healthier state over the next 10 years. I’m fact, any increased revenue we realize should go directly towards paying down debt.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Gailey was fired. He didn't take an OC job instead of staying here on his own.

PJ left on his own/retired.

I can only imagine either Collins put up a stink or something. No other reason not to let him talk to the team, right? Maybe Collins pulled a Leo from Wolf of Wall Street and just said "I'm not leaving. I'm staying. They can't make me leave!"

Oh Yeah Yes GIF by Jordan Belfort

I think collins definitely whined like a *****.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The players being upset is usual. Even though they look like grown men, they desire routine and consistency. And when that routine is disrupted, the first thing is to get mad and upset. But its for something bigger than themselves, bigger than team even. It was for the program. This wasn't a knee jerk reaction. It was just a matter of time. Take all that aggression out on Pitt this Saturday.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
That seems like a lot of revisionist history.

Not really I am saying that situation was a very different one than this last one. Gailey was dismissed but im pretty sure he told the team he was gone and that Tenuta was coaching the bowl game. If he didn't then yeah i am misremembering something and i got no problem with admitting it. I don't think he necessarily told Drad he had another job lined up.

Reminds me of something that happened in my own career. Felt layoffs coming went out and got a new job day i was putting in my 2 weeks they actually did the mass layoff. Had a new job already accepted and got the 3 months severance.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Honestly our facilities are ‘good enough’ for a while. We should use whatever cash we can to payoff debt and get the AA to a healthier state over the next 10 years. I’m fact, any increased revenue we realize should go directly towards paying down debt.
I think the GTAA debt is around $230M and our debt service around $14M. I think the next AD should immediately start a new campaign to cut that in half, as well as fully fund all remaining open capital projects.