Staff Changes

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
The other speculation is that Thacker is moving to LB coach to work one on one with the younger guys

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am a little confused by this post. You say that Collins isn't going anywhere IF there is progress, but then assume that he has at least two years left.

I think there are plenty of fans that don't believe there will be any progress. I also don't think that the improvement is only going to have to be ANY level of w/l progress. If there are still structural issues with gameday I don't know that four or five wins will be enough for him to stay. I also think that to win back the fans who say they are not going to renew tickets and/or not going to pay attention going forward it will take more than incremental improvement to win them back.
I think for him to be retained there will have to be incremental progress next year and then more the following year. I think the right kind of 5 wins next year could get him another year, but the wrong kind might not. I think 6 wins in '23 doesn't cut it and he'll be gone. Not sure what's confusing about this. It seems fans are expecting Collins to be gone after next year. I just don't see it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I will ask again. Does anyone know for sure that Thacker is not still the DC? Or, is this just speculation and rumor?
It was a clear discussion point. The Powers wanted Geoff to take on full DC responsibilities because he appeared to be second guessing Thacker. So Thacker (who is supposed to be fired) stays because Geoff said so. But not as DC. Probably as something else. And either Geoff earns his chops as DC or hires another and leaves him alone.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
It was a clear discussion point. The Powers wanted Geoff to take on full DC responsibilities because he appeared to be second guessing Thacker. So Thacker (who is supposed to be fired) stays because Geoff said so. But not as DC. Probably as something else. And either Geoff earns his chops as DC or hires another and leaves him alone.
That was what I was advocating for. Make Geoff own the D and focus him on that. Then bring in the best OC money can buy.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Collins is a dead man walking. These changes are simply a band aid since we can’t fire him right now. He has no clue how to build a program and that isn’t going to change. We all want a silver lining to the past 3 years but there isn’t any. We are just playing out the string.
I totally disagree with this. If Collins is not going to be retained after next year, he'd already have been fired.

We surely could fire him now, but don't think that's the best path forward, yet. It might not ever be "yet." Your comments are more a reflection of your personal opinion and desire than anything that's been said or put forth by the leadership at Tech.

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Vespidae: Thank you for this update. It is very helpful as usual.

One more question, but you probably don't know. Do you believe anyone in the $$ guys/TStan think the party atmosphere/culture that CGC has brought to the Flats is a problem at all? I mean, I believe there should be a balance to everything, but guys need butt chewings sometimes. It can't be all "love, hearts, candy, and rainbows"??

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

One more question, but you probably don't know. Do you believe anyone in the $$ guys/TStan think the party atmosphere/culture that CGC has brought to the Flats is a problem at all? I mean, I believe there should be a balance to everything, but guys need butt chewings sometimes. It can't be all "love, hearts, candy, and rainbows"??
I believe it’s partly that, and also partly how they practice.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, BGW. I will believe it when I see it. Maybe one of the Rivals insiders can confirm or deny.
Just a guess maybe there is no confirmation (and this is a guess) maybe at the meeting with Thacker CGC told him here is what I want you to do and this is the pay, And Thacker wants time to think about it.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I need no lecturing from you, sir. You are welcome to unfollow me if you like. Collins and Thacker are supposedly DB whisperers. Are you saying they did nothing with the DB's for the last 3 years? Pitiful. He kept his friend.
No. I'm saying you are speculating and have no idea what you're talking about

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

It is my strong opinion now and has been since the beginning that Thacker has been impeded by Collins. This is why I don't see how Collins gets a new DC. Who would step into that situation except for someone who's up and coming (aka Thacker) and has no real shot at the P5 level. So, if Collins hires an established DC and must be hands off what does that look like in the coaches room and on the sidelines on gameday?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It is my strong opinion now and has been since the beginning that Thacker has been impeded by Collins. This is why I don't see how Collins gets a new DC. Who would step into that situation except for someone who's up and coming (aka Thacker) and has no real shot at the P5 level. So, if Collins hires an established DC and must be hands off what does that look like in the coaches room and on the sidelines on gameday?
I hope if he hires an DC he would be hands off and do his thing in recruiting.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I will read between the lines of what I know and ... what Deep Throat is telling me. Collins is seen as a good/excellent recruiter. But a poor program coach. So, they want him to recruit and surround himself with people that do know how to coach. The culture is currently seen as a positive but ... as more experience personnel are hired, it's clear that accountability has to happen. Geoff has NOT been good at holding people accountable.

What I hear is ... six wins next year or else.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Like I said, please unfollow me. I have just as much knowledge as you about GT football. I could easily say you don't know what you are talking about, but that is a personal attack, so I don't do that.
I'm not claiming that I know the reason Coach Collins is keeping some staff and letting others go. If I were, please tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about because it would be true. It would not be a personal attack in any way.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I will read between the lines of what I know and ... what Deep Throat is telling me. Collins is seen as a good/excellent recruiter. But a poor program coach. So, they want him to recruit and surround himself with people that do know how to coach. The culture is currently seen as a positive but ... as more experience personnel are hired, it's clear that accountability has to happen. Geoff has NOT been good at holding people accountable.

Fair assessment

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

This makes the most sense to me of anything I've heard.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

You have given me some hope that clear heads are making some of these decisions. This is so reasonable and makes perfect sense. There has to be accountability for results and development - wins, pts allowed,sacks, TFL, PBU's, etc, etc, etc. When guys are not doing what they should be doing, there has to be a penalty for that - humans need this, especially young humans. That is how they grow and develop and mature.