Spring Practice

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think zero-tech means heads up over the center. Here is a good primer on defensive line positions/names.
So that implies an engage first defense. If straight up and then attacking the gap to either side, wouldn't that give physical advantage to the offensive blocker. Does that scheme ever attack to one or the other shoulder rather than the gap.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
0-tech is head-up on the C. He often has responsibility to plug both A gaps or to draw a double.
Isn't that more often used in the 3-3-5. We have the size with Biggers where you want a really big guy at that spot to get the double team.
I really enjoy discussions like this.
Duke sometimes lined up with only 2 DL with hand on the ground in passing situations last year. I think we will see some different defenses.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Isn't that more often used in the 3-3-5. We have the size with Biggers where you want a really big guy at that spot to get the double team.
Duke sometimes lined up with only 2 DL with hand on the ground in passing situations last year. I think we will see some different defenses.
It is unless we are going with an offset 4-2-5

for example

---O---O---O---O---O---
-X-----X----X-------X----
----------X------X---------N

Using a 0 Tech and a tackle in 4I with WSB and NIckle on that side. And shadign to field strength. Rotatign safety's accordingly. Your Outside END is likely standing and more of a backer type. while your backside end is more of a DT type.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It is unless we are going with an offset 4-2-5

for example

---O---O---O---O---O---
-X-----X----X-------X----
----------X------X---------N

Using a 0 Tech and a tackle in 4I with WSB and NIckle on that side. And shadign to field strength. Rotatign safety's accordingly. Your Outside END is likely standing and more of a backer type. while your backside end is more of a DT type.
Duke ran that 2 down DL in late game prevent D with a lead. Other 2 usually rushed from standing position. Sometimes rushed and sometimes dropped into coverage or watched for a jailbreak.
So N is to wide side of the field or is alignment based on the O formation prior to the snap?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Duke ran that 2 down DL in late game prevent D with a lead. Other 2 usually rushed from standing position. Sometimes rushed and sometimes dropped into coverage or watched for a jailbreak.
So N is to wide side of the field or is alignment based on the O formation prior to the snap?
ALignment based on O formation

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Depends on how they run it, which usually depends on personnel. For example, if we need to have a more mobile 3rd LB in, they could run a larger LB in the DE position.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Or we could just re-hire Woody. He sorta specializes in this kind of thing and has been successful when the players get used to it, something that never happened at Tech but has at Army and App State.

But I'm pretty sure that any DC with brains (there are some, I suppose) could do this. I expect to see multiple Ds next year. May as well try to confuse them.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
i am really impressed with you guys talking about D. I just never thought there were so many options. Thanks for the education.