Spring Practice

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Yall hear that comment from Key about a 3 man front possibility? With our bigger D Line transfers, we might be headed that way. Bigger D linemen and our edge guys will look more like OLB.

May solve our run defense problem, and help us get a bit more pressure on the QB that just wasn’t happening last year.

What are yalls thoughts?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Yall hear that comment from Key about a 3 man front possibility? With our bigger D Line transfers, we might be headed that way. Bigger D linemen and our edge guys will look more like OLB.

May solve our run defense problem, and help us get a bit more pressure on the QB that just wasn’t happening last year.

What are yalls thoughts?

What would it be? 3-3-5 stack base?

I'm not sure it matters inherently. Whatever our personnel can execute.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Yes, whatever. Depends on personnel. That fifth DB would need to be a stout dude to play run support. I guess Efford, Tatum, and Lightsey would have to be penciled in at LB at this point, but a couple of underclass LB played a lot of ST last season. They may push a bit, too.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

What are yalls thoughts?
It would be fun to have a multi-look defense that can switch out between 4-2 and 3-3 effectively and give the enemy more to think about. It all depends on the defensive tackles/nose guards and (I almost can't believe I am saying this) we certainly have some big boys in those positions. I am really interested to see what this year brings!

MidtownJacket

Staff member

In his media availability today he we heard 4-2-5 is the base.

Happy Hour Instagram GIF by Entertainment GIFs

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, whatever. Depends on personnel. That fifth DB would need to be a stout dude to play run support. I guess Efford, Tatum, and Lightsey would have to be penciled in at LB at this point, but a couple of underclass LB played a lot of ST last season. They may push a bit, too.
I could see Tatum, who's lighter and faster, potentially playing the hybrid LB/S role. Might be why he pulled his name from the Portal.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It would be fun to have a multi-look defense that can switch out between 4-2 and 3-3 effectively and give the enemy more to think about. It all depends on the defensive tackles/nose guards and (I almost can't believe I am saying this) we certainly have some big boys in those positions. I am really interested to see what this year brings!
if we go with a 3-man front, the NG would almost assuredly be playing a 1-technique not a 0-technique. As big as out guys are, I don't see any of them taking on 2 blockers and clogging the lanes.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I could see Tatum, who's lighter and faster, potentially playing the hybrid LB/S role. Might be why he pulled his name from the Portal.
Agree. I thought it was a mistake last year to not play a 4-3 on what would be considered rushing downs (and our rush D stats showed it). Tatum could give that flexibility. He's a tweener--may as well use it to an advantage.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Forget all I just wrote. Looks like 4-2-5. Never mind.
Yep. Santucci told us what he was doing with the down linemen: 1 tackle, 1 nose, 1 end, 1 rush. To me, that signals a 1/2-tech, a 0-tech, and two down the line in some configuration depending on the call. That 0-tech will need to be a 2-gapper somehow, so one of them will need to grow/be coached into that capability.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Santucci told us what he was doing with the down linemen: 1 tackle, 1 nose, 1 end, 1 rush. To me, that signals a 1/2-tech, a 0-tech, and two down the line in some configuration depending on the call. That 0-tech will need to be a 2-gapper somehow, so one of them will need to grow/be coached into that capability.
Will our down DL attack the gaps or engage and read? Not familiar with 0-tech term.