Spring Practice Thread

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe it was common knowledge, bit I didn’t realize we lost both Wells and King. Having to rely on freshmen kickers is a concern

After last year, is the kicking game any more worrisome with the freshmen than what we had? Kicking FGs and XP was an eyes closed, fingers crossed experience every kick. It may have been the worst division 1 kicking tandem I’ve ever seen.

I know both guys were physically capable, but they both had some sort of major mental block going on. when neither of your division 1 kickers can make a 30 yard FG, it’s a real problem.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
By Football Outsider's FEI metrics, we literally ranked dead last in Field Goal Efficiency last year. I appreciate Wells and King for their collective contributions to GT, but I can't say I didn't feel mild panic anytime they stepped on the field. I'm not afraid of starting Gandis or one of the two (or three?) freshman PWO kickers because they have got to be an improvement...

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins should have just left Wells alone and gave him the starting job. He was near perfect in 2018. He was God awful, as was King last year. Kicking is 90+% mental and Wells just couldn't handle whatever he went through in competing during the off season. You can say that's on him but I think when it comes to kicking a lot is on the coaching. Might have cost us a game or two last season.

Go Jackets!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Collins should have just left Wells alone and gave him the starting job. He was near perfect in 2018. He was God awful, as was King last year. Kicking is 90+% mental and Wells just couldn't handle whatever he went through in competing during the off season. You can say that's on him but I think when it comes to kicking a lot is on the coaching. Might have cost us a game or two last season.

Go Jackets!

Gave him the job? Lol

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
So PJ shouldn't have benched Scott Blair during his junior year and forced him to earn his way back? Because he did and Scott Blair was better because of it. If a kicker doesn't have the mental fortitude to overcome whatever funk he is in or a benching due to his performance, then he doesn't need to be a kicker for a power five program. "Entitlement Free Program" is repeated over and over for a reason.