Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Augusta, by my count today....
Clemson has 12 OL on ship in Spring with 5 coming in.....thats 17

we have 10 maybe 11 with 3 coming in. Thats 13 or 14.

for me this is a big difference. Its almost one whole OL difference. Of course, maybe my numbers are wrong...but I think I have em right if I didn't double count

FSU has 14 ship linemen for spring with 5 coming in....19

But why compare football factories to tech? Lets look at schools more like us; ie not factories; its clear factories will always get big numbers when they need em....

Duke
13 OL in spring on ship with 4 coming in...17

NC State
15 OL in spring with 3 coming in....18

I just chose these at random. But my point is still here. We are operating with 4-5 less linemen than our competition across the board on average.

FYI
I don't know if you saw, but now we just robbed the DT position for the OL position because we are so bad with numbers. And, clearly we don't need DT's LOL.

I don't think your numbers are correct. The only depth chart that had 12 OL for Clemson had 82 players on it. That means that not all of those players are scholarship players. I think the numbers you are looking at also include the walkons on the depth chart. We have a few of those as well. If you look at the simple math, you will see that a school carrying that many OL will suffer a depth problem somewhere at a skill position.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We may have close to balance now in the totals but by class we continue to be out of balance.
Was shaq mason the stud as a senior?
Hell yes.
AS A JUNIOR, SOPH AND FRESHM AM = not so much.
Shaq started as a rookie in nfl.
We needto get a STUD at ol and wr who can be impact player day 1. We missed on the stud ol kid from Louisiana and got a good project kid.

The ab and bb are also not well balanced either - but we have some transfer help so not bad

If we can get some breaks this year and if the umderclass men actually become shaqish by their JUNIOR year ee could be good ( whoops- now we are using green qb).

I think we will suprise to up side this year by using more athletic ol . even though they are young we can get better angles.

Cant wait for fall!!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We may have close to balance now in the totals but by class we continue to be out of balance.
Was shaq mason the stud as a senior?
Hell yes.
AS A JUNIOR, SOPH AND FRESHM AM = not so much.
Shaq started as a rookie in nfl.
We needto get a STUD at ol and wr who can be impact player day 1. We missed on the stud ol kid from Louisiana and got a good project kid.

The ab and bb are also not well balanced either - but we have some transfer help so not bad

If we can get some breaks this year and if the umderclass men actually become shaqish by their JUNIOR year ee could be good ( whoops- now we are using green qb).

I think we will suprise to up side this year by using more athletic ol . even though they are young we can get better angles.

Cant wait for fall!!
With athletic young OL's you can limit the playbook so not to overburden them mentally and then find a few plays they do well then do them to death. It doesn't give you the flexibility that a deeper playbook gives, but it gets you down the field.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You caught and highlighted my preface = "if we catch some breaks early (great play calls mainly) ", these young guys could get good by end of year .

alagold

Helluva Engineer
What is sad about discussing the OL and problems so much is that they are SO vital to our fball success.We saw what happens last yr when the OL and then the Offense falls off ;because we know the DEF will struggle.Even the "good" yr in '14 , DEF was not good basically just very opportunistic.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I posted this elsewhere, but I found it interesting.
With the exception of Devine, it appears that Johnson has settled on an archetype for his OL, and it's 6'4, 285 and mobile.
Pretty much everybody on the depth chart is within an inch and 5 pounds of that build (Griffin is SLIGHTLY larger at 6'6 292)

The three incoming linemen all project at about that size and skill.

We all say that Johnson's offense doesn't have TE's, but we were wrong. Turns out it has five :)

Probably not since he just tried to recruit one well over 300lbs.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
We don't know why he moved the Morgan twin to the OL, it's very possible he wasn't getting it down at DT and CPJ said lets give him a chance at OL, that's a lot better than sitting the bench instead of getting a shot elsewhere.
I thought he was the scout team defensive mvp last year js

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Augusta, by my count today....
Clemson has 12 OL on ship in Spring with 5 coming in.....thats 17

we have 10 maybe 11 with 3 coming in. Thats 13 or 14.

for me this is a big difference. Its almost one whole OL difference. Of course, maybe my numbers are wrong...but I think I have em right if I didn't double count

FSU has 14 ship linemen for spring with 5 coming in....19

But why compare football factories to tech? Lets look at schools more like us; ie not factories; its clear factories will always get big numbers when they need em....

Duke
13 OL in spring on ship with 4 coming in...17

NC State
15 OL in spring with 3 coming in....18

I just chose these at random. But my point is still here. We are operating with 4-5 less linemen than our competition across the board on average.

FYI
I don't know if you saw, but now we just robbed the DT position for the OL position because we are so bad with numbers. And, clearly we don't need DT's LOL.

Just curious, and not trying to be accusatory or anything, but are you counting TEs in these numbers? Also how can you tell if they are on scholarship vs walk-ons?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I posted this elsewhere, but I found it interesting.
With the exception of Devine, it appears that Johnson has settled on an archetype for his OL, and it's 6'4, 285 and mobile.
Pretty much everybody on the depth chart is within an inch and 5 pounds of that build (Griffin is SLIGHTLY larger at 6'6 292)

The three incoming linemen all project at about that size and skill.

We all say that Johnson's offense doesn't have TE's, but we were wrong. Turns out it has five :)
I wouldn't hang my hat on the listed weights. 292# for Griffin is about 20# light.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I thought he was the scout team defensive mvp last year js
Maybe he was, idk. But that doesn't mean he's not buried down the depth chart behind the other guys that have already been playing, nor does it mean he hadn't been passed by other or maybe he's plateaued. none of us know, I was just giving an example to show that him being moved to OL doesn't necessarily mean cpj moved him because the OL was bad, there is a number of reasons that could have played into cpj moving him.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
From previous reports, Brad Morgan showed good promise last year as a DT ... Which, in my mind, bodes very well for the possibility he can make a good impact on the OL. This is a rare occasion where we are fairly rich on the DL and even at DT, with Glanton, Henderson, a couple large hybrid SDE/DT types (Sellers, Branch, Woods), along with Chris Martin and Brandon Adams coming in. And, of course you've got Gamble and Kallon likely starting this year with all those guys as options behind them. Adams is one they're really excited about, so the future looks good there. So, pulling him in at the end last year effectually gave us an extra OL as well allowing a promising versatile jumbo-player like Brad Morgan to move over and give it a go at a position of need. I like it.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
What is sad about discussing the OL and problems so much is that they are SO vital to our fball success.We saw what happens last yr when the OL and then the Offense falls off ;because we know the DEF will struggle.Even the "good" yr in '14 , DEF was not good basically just very opportunistic.
Yep, this team always seems to live on the edge. We depend so much on execution and ball control that it is asking a lot of young players on offense. If we could ever find a defense and kicking game it would take pressure off the offensive line having to execute damn near perfect for us to just stay in the game.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If Devine was in shape, he would be a monster at 6' 7" and 330 to 340 lbs. We did not plan on him being addicted to over eating, or having a problem burning calories.

Seems to be an eating disorder for certain.

In the off season an attentive coaching staff would have gotten, or tried, to get him help. Maybe they did, idk.

Certainly there should have been someone riding his behind every day / week.

Again, maybe they did. But if it did not work, at least one of the involved party's should no longer be associated with the GY football program.