Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
He loves it.
Gotta have some real man help inside. I was very glad to hear about Will getting a shot in there - I've thought he looked like a road grading guard since watching his high school film, so this move makes a lot of sense and makes me feel better about the OL situation. Also glad to hear about the other adjustments - moving Morgan over, etc. Now, we just gotta keep 'em healthy, get 'em coached up, and hope we have some other guys who can get to the LB in space on the outside at OT ... Need Will to clone himself. ;)

Did they also move Klock inside? Is that what I heard CPJ say?

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotta have some real man help inside. I was very glad to hear about Will getting a shot in there - I've thought he looked like a road grading guard since watching his high school film, so this move makes a lot of sense and makes me feel better about the OL situation. Also glad to hear about the other adjustments - moving Morgan over, etc. Now, we just gotta keep 'em healthy, get 'em coached up, and hope we have some other guys who can get to the LB in space on the outside at OT ... Need Will to clone himself. ;)

Did they also move Klock inside? Is that what I heard CPJ say?
Klock was still at RT.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I posted this in another thread not too long ago. Its a direct comparison between Clemson's roster and ours.

Clemson GT
QB 5 4
RB/AB 5 8
FB/BB 0 6
WR 11 7
TE 6 0
OL 14 13
DL 15 17
LB 10 10
S 5 5
CB/DB 12 12
ST 3 3
Total 86 85

A few things of note. Our numbers are similar across the board. We recruit more RB's, but less WR/TE. Go figure. Also, note that Clemson has 86 players listed on their scholarship breakdown. Tigernet has one of those players listed as a greyshirt.

Moral of the story: Our coaches seem to know how to manage a roster.

Augusta, by my count today....
Clemson has 12 OL on ship in Spring with 5 coming in.....thats 17

we have 10 maybe 11 with 3 coming in. Thats 13 or 14.

for me this is a big difference. Its almost one whole OL difference. Of course, maybe my numbers are wrong...but I think I have em right if I didn't double count

FSU has 14 ship linemen for spring with 5 coming in....19

But why compare football factories to tech? Lets look at schools more like us; ie not factories; its clear factories will always get big numbers when they need em....

Duke
13 OL in spring on ship with 4 coming in...17

NC State
15 OL in spring with 3 coming in....18

I just chose these at random. But my point is still here. We are operating with 4-5 less linemen than our competition across the board on average.

FYI
I don't know if you saw, but now we just robbed the DT position for the OL position because we are so bad with numbers. And, clearly we don't need DT's LOL.

Declinometer

Banned
I enjoy your content fairly often. But i dont get your arrogance on this one. The guy you responded to thought you were providing new info. We're talking football here. How informed should we all be to participate in topics of such high importance?(n)
NM #CNN last night!

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

for me this is a big difference. Its almost one whole OL difference. Of course, maybe my numbers are wrong...but I think I have em right if I didn't double count

But why compare football factories to tech? Lets look at schools more like us; ie not factories; its clear factories will always get big numbers when they need em....

Duke

NC State

I just chose these at random. But my point is still here. We are operating with 4-5 less linemen than our competition across the board on average.

FYI
I don't know if you saw, but now we just robbed the DT position for the OL position because we are so bad with numbers. And, clearly we don't need DT's LOL.
My guess is CPJ is happy to fill out the depth chart with walkons. Maybe it's something that has always worked in the past, you know he's been coaching a long time and is twice ACC coach of the year.

We shot for the moon last recruiting season and came up a little short. Give us the Campbell kid and I feel a lot better. Maybe that was bad planning or maybe you have to take shots if you ever want to sign the big dogs. Maybe we had a short list of guys behind him but had a string of bad luck there, too. Not sure as I don't follow recruiting too closely.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I posted this elsewhere, but I found it interesting.
With the exception of Devine, it appears that Johnson has settled on an archetype for his OL, and it's 6'4, 285 and mobile.
Pretty much everybody on the depth chart is within an inch and 5 pounds of that build (Griffin is SLIGHTLY larger at 6'6 292)

The three incoming linemen all project at about that size and skill.

We all say that Johnson's offense doesn't have TE's, but we were wrong. Turns out it has five :)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Duke

NC State

FYI
We don't know why he moved the Morgan twin to the OL, it's very possible he wasn't getting it down at DT and CPJ said lets give him a chance at OL, that's a lot better than sitting the bench instead of getting a shot elsewhere.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lots of premature belly-aching over the OL, especially in the SPRING. We are usually better the worse CPJ says we are, anyway. I'm confident we will field the five best guys, and a healthy Burden come fall will make a lot of difference, no matter what transpires with Shamire and CG. As others have stated, upgrades at AB and WR will be just as critical to the entire offense.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
We don't know why he moved the Morgan twin to the OL, it's very possible he wasn't getting it down at DT and CPJ said lets give him a chance at OL, that's a lot better than sitting the bench instead of getting a shot elsewhere.

He was #5 on the DT depth chart behind Gamble, Kallon, Cerge-Henderson and Glanton. He was an OL starter with his brother in HS so I'm not surprised he's getting a look on the OL

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Duke

NC State

FYI
Thanks for the posting w numbers that support your previous post. I wonder how often these other schools have to move dl to ol?

IMO - issue is the inability to cast a WIDE recruiting net where players will self recruit and we get better players who are more of a sure thing at their natural poistion.
VERSES
The theoretical the dl that gt recruits can play on OL at gt due to blocking being more aggressive.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I like the Will Bryan to OG move. Always thought that was a more natural fit for him on this level than OT. Dude is just a mauler.

Hate to say it, because I don't want to sound like I'm picking on him, but if Devine is in shape, there's not this massive movement happening at OL. We all thought he'd have that RG spot locked down by now.

Hate to hear Philpott is injured again and will miss the remainder of spring. That's a lot of lost development time seeing as how he was injured to start last fall which kept CPJ from playing him like he wanted to. Hopefully he can get over the early run of injuries and make it back to be an impact.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Duke

NC State

FYI

Fwiw, I 'm sympathetic to your point. I think we like to have 17 (during the season).

Still, I'm wondering where you get your numbers.

I look at the Scout Eligibility table (which seems to be pretty accurate with GT, though it obviously doesn't remove guys who leave early). That source gives 9 OL for this year before 4 new guys (no indication of any coming early). The Rivals commitment page also has these 4 guys coming in as OL plus another one, a 2* who doesn't have a commitment date (Rivals has 3 guys as commits without dates so that their class totals 22 and Scout's eligibility page totals 19).