Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys the OL is coached fine and there is nothing wrong with the scheme. The difference between 14 & 15 was at wide receiver. In 14 defenses had to account for two guys who could take the top off and that left a lot of running lanes. Last year we didn't have the experience to do that and it showed. I like having two OL coaches in this scheme and I think it will help us but there wasn't anyone complaining about our OL coach or recruiting numbers in14! I'm looking for the wideouts to step up this year and that will make a big difference. CPJ knows this.
Agreed. I'm hoping Jeune will step up even more and maybe Philpott or BS. Also, our OL probably is struggling this spring because several of our starters are not in playing shape(Burden-injured, Griffin-injured, Shamire-out of shape). If those three can get back to playing shape, our line will be okay in the fall.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year our OL looked flat out lost. We had plays early on, UNC and ND, where we let 4 DL go unblocked. That should never happen. We didn't even chip guys and those weren't screen plays.

I think part of the problem was the no huddle experiment. As far as I could tell, JT5 got the call yelled to the center who then relayed it down the line. It was a big telephone game clusterf***. Add to that you are making calls in the DL face, and by the second half everybody knows the call. I am certain VT knew our line calls.

The OL was just piss poorly coached last season.

That said, they did improve as the season we t forward (and we dropped the no huddle). Personally, I think Navy looks worse when they go no huddle too.

JT5 added to the line woes on passing plays. He rarely steps up into the pocket and he takes massive drops when he doesn't need too. He didn't trust his line by the end of the season and we were worse off because of it.
One thing not to forget is that last year the OL was challenged by alot of high round draft picks from ND, Clemson, VT...others...I might gues we got a little beat up and struggled to recover...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When I saw the interview, CPJ just looked plum tuckered. He looked worn out. I think his demeanor was as much about how he felt as what he saw. He looked tired, frustrated, disappointed, etc. Although he's one of the most honest coaches, he's usually a little more circumspect than he was in that interview. Just my thoughts.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
When I saw the interview, CPJ just looked plum tuckered. He looked worn out. I think his demeanor was as much about how he felt as what he saw. He looked tired, frustrated, disappointed, etc. Although he's one of the most honest coaches, he's usually a little more circumspect than he was in that interview. Just my thoughts.

I don't doubt that he and his coaches are burning gallons of midnight oil to get this right. He's WAY too competitive not to working overtime to get the team back to where he thinks they should be.

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
He said "WE'RE NOT VERY GOOD." He didn't say "THEY"RE NOT VERY GOOD." I wonder if maybe you are predisposed to look for the negative here?

Not really. I just think positive coaching comments about the team or individual players when speaking to the press / public goes much farther toward inspiring better performance. We're not or they're not; both send the same message to the players about his assessment of them.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not really. I just think positive coaching comments about the team or individual players when speaking to the press / public goes much farther toward inspiring better performance. We're not or they're not; both send the same message to the players about his assessment of them.

Yes. That they need to work harder.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If I were playing bad I wouldn't mind a coach saying it at all, just means I need to step up my game. Plus if he's not being honest and he's giving them a goody goody feeling they could get content then really start doing bad. If they can't handle criticism they probably shouldn't be playing football.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sarcasm is for the informed. My bad

I enjoy your content fairly often. But i dont get your arrogance on this one. The guy you responded to thought you were providing new info. We're talking football here. How informed should we all be to participate in topics of such high importance?(n)