Spring Game

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
This is a bump in the road not the new normal.

Hopefully next time we’ll l have the response ready from the get go.

(1) You would like to think so.

(2) Is this a 2,3,4+.... sigma occurrence? Do you "plan" for such an unknown? How? At what cost vis-a-vis other known diseases? How many fatal auto accidents have NOT occurred due to social distancing, temporary shutdowns, etc., leading to less driving, CO emissions, etc.?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I thought the conventional wisdom was that players would use spring practice to see where they might stand in the pecking order and, if they didn’t like how things were shaping up, would move on, like entering the transfer portal, after the semester. Without spring practice, what are the new expectations?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I’m going the guess NCAA will allow teams to add number of practices missed in spring to fall camp.
Hurts the early enrolled players, but will help teams as they will have more time to evaluate all Frosh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would be hard cause not all teams have practiced the same number of days. Also could increase players getting hurt before the season

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't expect the NCAA to allow extra practices in the fall. i just hope things are to a point where they can have practices and games in the fall.

If things happen how the health care system wants them to happen then you will have a longer period of the virus circulating, but fewer people dying because the health system isn't overwhelmed. (flattening the curve as they like to call it)
But that might mean 6-9 months of reduced events and activities with large groups of people.

I saw a chart that someone made tracking every European country and the US from the first day they hit 600 positive tests. Italy was the first country to hit that back on Feb 27. US hit that on March 9th. The growth rates are eerily similar for every country. Almost every country is tracking at or above what Italy is seeing for the same day (Spain is the one that is well above Italy's rate).

If this social distancing experiment does not work we are a little over a week from a very serious health crisis that could overwhelm the system. Right now Italy has just 1 ventilator for every 8 people who need one. I also saw a tweet this morning with someone who was talking to health officials. The health officials believe NYC may be less than a week from having its health care system overwhelmed and needing to go to a Italy style shutdown.

I am getting more and more adjusted to the thought that there will not be any sports until at least this fall (or at least none with people in the stands).

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Would be hard cause not all teams have practiced the same number of days. Also could increase players getting hurt before the season

All Teams are allowed specific number of practices in spring and fall, specific to with pads without pads. Would be simple to just allow teams what team did not use in spring. Down side is it may competitive advantage for teams that did not have many or any spring practice, they will get more preseason work.

A little levity even in a crisis does not hurt ---
89851333_10218251842140823_5617823339201429504_n.jpg

jim_g

Georgia Tech Fan
Any word on if the team is running any athlete led lifts at their homes?

They have workout plans for this week which were prepared in preparation for Spring Break.
They'll get more for next week and future weeks. They were told they'd definitely be home next
week (the week after spring break) and they'd be updated on future weeks after that. I suspect
it's going to be at least a few more weeks (maybe longer) before the ACC and the school allow
them back. As the school is online the rest of the semester, my hope is the team is allowed back
to workout and possibly practice while doing their online classes.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't expect anyone back until this summer at the earliest.

NY Gov said today he expects the peak in NY to be in 45 days. That's not when it is under control, not when its safe for when people can be in close contact, that's just getting past peak.

NBA has a best case scenario of restarting their season as mid-to-late June. At this point i'm thinking July-Aug is the absolute earliest to expect people back on campus.
I'm already getting myself settled with the idea that there will be no college football this year. At least not with anyone in the stands.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer

NY Gov said today he expects the peak in NY to be in 45 days. That's not when it is under control, not when its safe for when people can be in close contact, that's just getting past peak.

NBA has a best case scenario of restarting their season as mid-to-late June. At this point i'm thinking July-Aug is the absolute earliest to expect people back on campus.
I'm already getting myself settled with the idea that there will be no college football this year. At least not with anyone in the stands.
There is word going around that MLB probably wont be restarting until July or August.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Oddly having no one in stands might be a slight advantage for us as our numbers are down anyway.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is word going around that MLB probably wont be restarting until July or August.

Right now i feel like there is unlikely to be any professional sports before Independence Day. And really I think it is likely to be later than that.

If you really think about what they are trying to do right now, it is to slow down the spread of the virus and spread the cases out over a longer period (not necessarily reduce the number of cases since there is no immunity.).
Staying put for 2 weeks, 4 weeks is unlikely to accomplish what they want. As soon as everyone goes back to normal patterns then you start to have a huge spike - which is what they are trying to prevent.

I sort of think the isolation tactics will be in force for 6-12 months with the population paying less attention to them the longer they go, but hopefully enough is done that any spikes are less than what they otherwise would be in order to keep mortality rates as low as possible. What will spike mortality rates is if we run out of beds and ventilators - which is what happened in Italy where the current mortality rate as of today is almost 8% (understanding that is high due to the denominator being too low measuring positive cases to deaths).

Ironically Italy has the 2nd highest rated health system in the world by the WHO, just shows that it doesn't matter how good your system is if it is overrun and you can't keep up.