Spring game

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Chan was not his own OC. I can't remember the coach interview I saw recently where the issue of not being a coordinator to allow more time for both units was raised, but some HC said it was a lesson from player feedback.

And yes.
He was his own OC for at least 1 year, and I think it was multiple years. The first year O'brien was the OC (our worst year on defense under CCG/CJT, it was the first year in a new system and I think we were in the 50's in total D). The next year CCG was the OC and we were very good defensively. I want to say CCG was the OC for a couple more years before he gave it over to CPN, and we were very good defensively for the entire tenure, whether he was OC or whether he wasn't.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Total D for TRoof's two tech years (00/01) bc Football Insiders doesn't list D.FEI before 07. And TRoofs D.FEI after that. (Except Duke, bc they were v bad the whole time and I am lazy)

2000: 12th (GT)
2001: 23rd (GT)
2002-7: (Duke...they were not good)
2008: 66th (Minnesota)
2009: 40th (Auburn)
2010: 8th (Auburn)
2011: 92nd (Auburn)
2012: 19th (PSU)
2013: 51st (GT-->
2014, 76th
2015: 87th
2016: 94th
He was also the DC at GT in '99, and our D was turrible.

He was his own OC for at least 1 year, and I think it was multiple years. The first year O'brien was the OC (our worst year on defense under CCG/CJT). The next year CCG was the OC and we were very good defensively. I want to say CCG was the OC for a couple more years before he gave it over to CPN, and we were very good defensively for the entire tenure, whether he was OC or whether he wasn't.
Patrick Nix spent five seasons at Georgia Tech from 2002-06, including his final three years as offensive coordinator. He also coached the quarterbacks, his former position as a player. He was OC when Reggie threw the ball out of bounds on 4th down in Athens.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Chan was not his own OC. I can't remember the coach interview I saw recently where the issue of not being a coordinator to allow more time for both units was raised, but some HC said it was a lesson from player feedback.

And yes.
So, you're good with the overall scheme and philosophy and think that if he'd just call a different slant or a blitz at a different time, then we'd move up to top 40 D?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Patrick Nix spent five seasons at Georgia Tech from 2002-06, including his final three years as offensive coordinator. He also coached the quarterbacks, his former position as a player. He was OC when Reggie threw the ball out of bounds on 4th down in Athens.
I'm pretty sure that he was only the real offensive coordinator in 2006. The rest of the time, he was OC in title only (kind of like Bohannon was with CPJ). He was allowed to be in charge of 2-minute offense during that time. But, he wasn't given the reigns to the offense until CCG thought he was more ready in 2006. FWIW, that was also our best year offensively, leading the conference, and we went to the ACCCG. We were good most of that year on offense but saved our worst outings for the last 3 games of the regular season against UNC (won 7-0), Ugag, and WF. Supposedly Reggie was playing hurt those last 3 games. When Reggie was ineligible to play in the bowl, Taylor Bennett QB'd the CPN-led offense to an impressive showing vs WVU (which we lost). The surprising offensive success we had that year was the reason why Miami went after and hired Nix the next year, where he was not very successful coaching under a defensive minded HC. That '06 GT offense toasted very strong defenses in VT and Miami.

I'm pretty sure that he was only the real offensive coordinator in 2006. The rest of the time, he was OC in title only (kind of like Bohannon was with CPJ). He was allowed to be in charge of 2-minute offense during that time. But, he wasn't given the reigns to the offense until CCG thought he was more ready in 2006. FWIW, that was also our best year offensively, leading the conference, and we went to the ACCCG. We were good most of that year on offense but saved our worst outings for the last 3 games of the regular season against UNC (won 7-0), Ugag, and WF. Supposedly Reggie was playing hurt those last 3 games. When Reggie was ineligible to play in the bowl, Taylor Bennett QB'd the CPN-led offense to an impressive showing vs WVU (which we lost). The surprising offensive success we had that year was the reason why Miami went after and hired Nix the next year, where he was not very successful coaching under a defensive minded HC. That '06 GT offense toasted very strong defenses in VT and Miami.
If he were hurt, Reggie still played a decent game against the mutts until that stupid 4th down play. But I blame that play as much on Nix as on Reggie. And hurt or not, Reggie could have thrown the ball at least once to Calvin in the ACCCG. I don't know whom to blame that pathetic game on.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
If he were hurt, Reggie still played a decent game against the mutts until that stupid 4th down play. But I blame that play as much on Nix as on Reggie. And hurt or not, Reggie could have thrown the ball at least once to Calvin in the ACCCG. I don't know whom to blame that pathetic game on.
Those were 2 different years. The 4th down play was not 2006. The 2006 Ugag game was the one where the mutts LB picked up the ball out of the pile after the refs were already signaling dead ball and ran in for what proved to be the winning TD. This was also Stafford's freshman season. Choice had a good game going for over a hundred. But, the passing game was severely lacking in all 3 of those last games. We did try some deep throws to Calvin in both the Ugag games and the ACCCG and they were uncatchable. I think we could've ridden T.Choice to the win against WF at least, and maybe against Ugag too. We would've had to, because the passing game just wasn't there in those games like it had been the rest of the year.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Just thinking aloud here: Under CJT, we were a blitzing team. Zone-dog 50% (sending 5, dropping 6 into zone coverage), 25% blitz (sending 6, playing man free behind it [cover-1]), 10% send 7 ((play man behind it [cover 0]), 15% some form of quarters coverage. And, you never knew where they were coming from and who was dropping - eg. send 2 LB's but drop an extra DE in flats coverage. And, most of our blitzes were designed to stop run first and get after QB as an added bonus. We often led league in TFL and sacks. These things were well-designed, not just "You blitz through the a-gap this time", it was well-coordinated by all involved so that what the DL did was more likely to free up a LB or vice/versa.

We had an identity. We had something we were GREAT at. It's similar to CPJ's offense. We're so good at running the triple because we rep the crap out of it. We do it all the time. That's why we were so good at the defensive pressures we ran, because we did it all the time. Our guys knew what they were doing and what to do out of that z-dog/blitz if they got a certain offensive look. Sometimes I wonder if our defenses try to do everything, try to be good at everything, and by doing so end up not great at anything.

Being 1-dimensional is better than being 0-dimensional. Here's why. When you're good at something, it dictates how the offense can attack you. And, when that's the case, then you know what they're likely to do in a crucial situation. And, in that moment, you can tell your guys to expect it and cheat to it and obliterate what the offense thought they could have success with on a particular play (and by tendency). Sometimes you're going to get burned. But, that will be the exception, not the rule.

This also allows for a defensive team to perform beyond their talent level because it won't be based on individual play/heroics and one-on-one matchups. It will be based much more on just plain numbers advantages, saying to the offense, "If you're going to succeed, here's what you're going to have to do. But, you also know that I know that that's what you're going to have to do. So, you're in a bigger pickle, because this might be the moment I throw the change-up." It's like a pitcher who's got one great pitch and the rest mediocre. "My change-up may not be as good as many of my colleagues, but because my fastball is so good, my change-up will work also." And, by the way, my guys are better at running our plays than your offensive line is at determining quickly who's blocking who and than your QB is at determining quickly who's coming and who's dropping. And, he darn sure know's he better get rid of it quick or he's gonna be on the turf. This also means my secondary doesn't have to be world-beaters at coverage because they won't have to cover for very long.

You know what beats this??? The freakin' option. :)

calvin forever

Georgia Tech Fan
The 4th down play was not 2006. The 2006 Ugag game was the one where the mutts LB picked up the ball out of the pile after the refs were already signaling dead ball and ran in for what proved to be the winning TD.

The refs weren't just signaling the play dead, they were pulling our players off the pile. I couldn't feel more robbed if I were held up at gunpoint.

I've never felt so disgusted after a game. Out D was amazing, we completely shut down their run game. TC ran for nearly 150. That should be a recipe for success, but somehow we managed to get the best player in the nation 2 touches for 13 yards. It still boils my blood that Georgia fans think Paul Oliver "shut down" CJ that day. You can thank patty nix and CCG for that one, leg humpers.

And hearing their fans chant "Reggie! Reggie!" as the game ended...truly a sickening day to be in Athens.

**bitter early morning rant over**

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The refs weren't just signaling the play dead, they were pulling our players off the pile. I couldn't feel more robbed if I were held up at gunpoint.

I've never felt so disgusted after a game. Out D was amazing, we completely shut down their run game. TC ran for nearly 150. That should be a recipe for success, but somehow we managed to get the best player in the nation 2 touches for 13 yards. It still boils my blood that Georgia fans think Paul Oliver "shut down" CJ that day. You can thank patty nix and CCG for that one, leg humpers.

And hearing their fans chant "Reggie! Reggie!" as the game ended...truly a sickening day to be in Athens.

I have never felt more like jail might be a decent option than at the end of that game in Athens. This was also a game when I saw a Ugag fan in the upper deck throw a softball onto the GT sideline where our players were standing with their helmets off. It landed right beside them. 1 foot more to the left/right, it very well could've killed one of them. I'm not exaggerating. Those players saw it, looked up at the fans, flipped them off, and then put their helmets on the rest of the game. I wished an ESPN camera had caught that, I truly do. It epitomized the filth (for lack of a better word) of their side of that rivalry at that moment.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer

That was the tip of the crap-berg for me. I had moved into the endzone where that the pile was to visit some friends (uga section). People were hitting and pushing me in the back cheering... None of them would admit that was a terrible call by the refs. Definitely had a good view of the refs pulling folks off of the pile. Only in Clean Old Fashioned Hate do you see so many calls go one way...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I'm as big a GT homer as you'll find, but it didn't happen that way. The refs did not signal play over, none of them were pulling guys off the pile. They failed to whistle the play dead, but I'm not sure that wasn't appropriate now that I've viewed the replay several times. Yes, the ball was on the ground for a long time and it appeared the mutt pulled the ball away from another guy on the ground, but you can't actually see it in anyone's possession. Furthermore, there was a ref standing directly over the play right where the ball was pulled out/picked up. If anybody had a clear view of the play, he did. If someone blew the call by not blowing the whistle, it was him. Here's the play, it's at the 1:13:00 mark.

The only thing that suggests he ripped it away from somebody on the ground is the apparent force it took to do so. He obviously didn't just pick up the ball sitting on the ground.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A few other things bother me about that fumble in '06.

a) Reggie changed hands with the ball in the middle of the field in traffic right before the fumble. Why? I thought you only did that on the sideline and it was always towards the sidelines?
b) The first guy to the ball was a GT guy. He missed wrapping it up, obviously, or the mutt never would have pulled it out.
c) All football players from pee wee to the NFL are taught to play to the whistle. Why is it none of our players did so, only Ugag players? I don't care if you thought the play should be dead, unless you hear a whistle, it's a LIVE BALL. The only players still fighting for the ball were gaggers.

The gaggers made two nice plays, 1) to knock it loose and 2) to play all the way to the whistle.

As others have noted, we failed to get Calvin the ball. That cost us as much as anything in that one.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm as big a GT homer as you'll find, but it didn't happen that way. The refs did not signal play over, none of them were pulling guys off the pile. They failed to whistle the play dead, but I'm not sure that wasn't appropriate now that I've viewed the replay several times. Yes, the ball was on the ground for a long time and it appeared the mutt pulled the ball away from another guy on the ground, but you can't actually see it in anyone's possession. Furthermore, there was a ref standing directly over the play right where the ball was pulled out/picked up. If anybody had a clear view of the play, he did. If someone blew the call by not blowing the whistle, it was him. Here's the play, it's at the 1:13:00 mark.

The only thing that suggests he ripped it away from somebody on the ground is the apparent force it took to do so. He obviously didn't just pick up the ball sitting on the ground.

Right. When you have to work so hard to pick it up, it means it's in the possession of someone on the ground.

It looked like we had it to me.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Right. When you have to work so hard to pick it up, it means it's in the possession of someone on the ground.

It looked like we had it to me.
Not necessarily, but probably. It could have been pinned to the ground under legs, but not in anybody's hands.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer

It's funny how things change in your mind over the years. I can't bring myself to watch it though...