Spring game

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Mills second carry (5:25) goes for 17. A lot to like in this run.

First, it's designed to go inside the pulling guard but it's clogged up. Instead, Dedrick busts it outside the pulling guard where the hole is. My guess is last year he tries the inside lane and gets 3 yards. He said in an interview, that he made a couple runs in the Spring game he wouldn't have made last year because he's seeing the field better thanks to the high tech vision training he's doing.

Second, he absolutely trucks Lance Austin who actually goes in really low at the knees like he's supposed to and then shakes off a LB and it takes two more defenders to get him on the ground. Not sure if that says more about our tackling, but I'm gonna guess he's gonna be quite a load to tackle for opposing defenses.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On LJ's long run, a lot to like on the offense and a lot to dislike on the defense. Hard to say what the real takeaway is. On O, I like the option with Quaide as the lead blocker, not sure I've seen that before. He does a nice job taking out the playside LB. Gotta like LJ's speed, decisiveness and quickness. However, we had three guys on D that should have been in position to make a play. We had 8 in the box, all within 5 yds of the LOS. That's a recipe for disaster right there if it's not a dive which it wasn't. Then all 8 guys move forward at the snap which further kills the angles to the edge. The safety (who's really a LB) hesitates, then takes a bad angle, one LB gets blocked and two are just too slow to react and accelerate to cut off the lane. A nice downfield block by the wr ensures the td. Nobody laid a finger on LJ. Nice wheels, but I doubt we get the same result from most of the D's we face this year.

FlakJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Step away from the ledge, we have speed and athleticism on the way to remedy all of our problems on defense.

FlakJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think some of the newcomers will bypass second team, in turn, making some of present first team, eventual second team.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Not on the ledge. I was critical of our second-team defense with guys playing out of position. our first team D is a little better.

Safeties Kagawa, Campbell, and Johnson did not play in the Spring Game so we had walk-ons and Lbs in that White deep secondary. Late in the game they permitted long pass completions for TDs to Gantt and Swilling.... probably not a good representation of our D2 defense.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Safeties Kagawa, Campbell, and Johnson did not play in the Spring Game so we had walk-ons and Lbs in that White deep secondary. Late in the game they permitted long pass completions for TDs to Gantt and Swilling.... probably not a good representation of our D2 defense.

Yes. Because swilling is a scholarship player too. The O was as much or more depleted.

If we have a problem on D. Its far more than any one player. Its not like our DC is exactly saban. I wouldn't expect much more out of our D this year as with the past 4.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How many of our players would start for Saban?

Doesnt matter. We are talking quality of coaching. Roof is bad. And in 20 years he has had only 2 defenses ranked in the top 30. 2. In 20 years. He is avg at best.

Keep piping the talent is the issue. We are ranked bottom consistently. In 2014, when we were ranked in the 100s in many categories. We had 4 nfl players on that d. 4. Yet we were ranked at the bottom of all the ncaa. Yes. Its the talent.

His scheme is the issue. Its why we dont get pressure. Its why we are bad at 3rd down rate. And tackle for loss. Go look at his time at other schools. They had the same issue.

No. We arent top 10. But we are good enough to be around top 40 most years. Not 70. 80. 90. Etc

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Either Roof is struggling or CPJs offense is causing the D to underperform... something sure is across multiple coaches. I would not say we have talent to be top 20 due to overpowering athleticism, but we have talent to be top 40 and better. I often wonder if Groh and Roof struggle with a complex defense mind with a less complex teaching time need. Our guys seem to be out of place in multiple positions leading me to believe it is a scheme issue. I am rooting for a Roof to figure out the right balance of complexity and aggressive/bend don't break mix that fits our players and provides success.

I am not a fan of blaming our O for the D's issue. But, I want to be open minded enough to see the issue.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Either Roof is struggling or CPJs offense is causing the D to underperform... something sure is across multiple coaches. I would not say we have talent to be top 20 due to overpowering athleticism, but we have talent to be top 40 and better. I often wonder if Groh and Roof struggle with a complex defense mind with a less complex teaching time need. Our guys seem to be out of place in multiple positions leading me to believe it is a scheme issue. I am rooting for a Roof to figure out the right balance of complexity and aggressive/bend don't break mix that fits our players and provides success.

I am not a fan of blaming our O for the D's issue. But, I want to be open minded enough to see the issue.

Another possibility is the psychology of playing D for an O focussed HC.

I think it's play calling.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
On LJ's long run, a lot to like on the offense and a lot to dislike on the defense. Hard to say what the real takeaway is. On O, I like the option with Quaide as the lead blocker, not sure I've seen that before. He does a nice job taking out the playside LB. Gotta like LJ's speed, decisiveness and quickness. However, we had three guys on D that should have been in position to make a play. We had 8 in the box, all within 5 yds of the LOS. That's a recipe for disaster right there if it's not a dive which it wasn't. Then all 8 guys move forward at the snap which further kills the angles to the edge. The safety (who's really a LB) hesitates, then takes a bad angle, one LB gets blocked and two are just too slow to react and accelerate to cut off the lane. A nice downfield block by the wr ensures the td. Nobody laid a finger on LJ. Nice wheels, but I doubt we get the same result from most of the D's we face this year.

The only thing I disliked about LJ's long TD run was that he carried the ball in his inside arm, a flaw that it took JT until his 3rd year as a starter to shed. When you carry the ball in your inside arm and get stripped from behind, the ball is more likely to end up in the field of play (rather than out of bounds if you were stripped while carrying in your outside arm) and recovered by the opponent.

That can be corrected. Other than that I expect MJ to be the starter. LJ would be a solid 2nd string QB.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Another possibility is the psychology of playing D for an O focussed HC.

I think it's play calling.
CCG was also an O focused HC and that didn't prevent us from having top 30 defenses EVERY YEAR, and top 15 sometimes.

When you say, "I think it's play calling", are you saying you think it's CTR's play calling?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

It has continued with 3 DC's now. I wasn't impressed with the Wommack nor Roof hires, but I though Groh had a chance to be a fantastic hire. None of the 3 have been successful. So, I'm with ya on your last 2 statements. UNC, with Fedora seems to be having the same trouble. Even VT under Fuente didn't seem to have that "IT" factor on D that they've had in the past with Bud Foster - though that could be a false impression not backed up by the stats (I haven't researched their stats last year).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CCG was also an O focused HC and that didn't prevent us from having top 30 defenses EVERY YEAR, and top 15 sometimes.

When you say, "I think it's play calling", are you saying you think it's CTR's play calling?

Chan was not his own OC. I can't remember the coach interview I saw recently where the issue of not being a coordinator to allow more time for both units was raised, but some HC said it was a lesson from player feedback.

And yes.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Total D for TRoof's two tech years (00/01) bc Football Insiders doesn't list D.FEI before 07. And TRoofs D.FEI after that. (Except Duke, bc they were v bad the whole time and I am lazy)

2000: 12th (GT)
2001: 23rd (GT)
2002-7: (Duke...they were not good)
2008: 66th (Minnesota)
2009: 40th (Auburn)
2010: 8th (Auburn)
2011: 92nd (Auburn)
2012: 19th (PSU)
2013: 51st (GT-->
2014, 76th
2015: 87th
2016: 94th