Spring game thoughts

stech81

Helluva Engineer
‘Ol Mack Brown up in North Cawrolina has his guys playing real tackle football in their spring game today. Only the QBs are off limits to tackling.

I like the football culture up there in Chapel Hill.

Just my opinion, which everyone here is entitled to, guys.
I look at it this way If the OL and DL are going at it 100% than I see no reason not to tackle in the spring game , I understand not hitting the QB. I also agree that once the season starts that hitting does not need to happen in practice ( kind of like Coach Dodd did when he coached. But I'm old and I see this as football and you hit in football . If you are going to worry about a player getting hurt then you need to make sure they don't play a pick up basketball game ride a scooter around campus or do any thing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I look at it this way If the OL and DL are going at it 100% than I see no reason not to tackle in the spring game , I understand not hitting the QB. I also agree that once the season starts that hitting does not need to happen in practice ( kind of like Coach Dodd did when he coached. But I'm old and I see this as football and you hit in football . If you are going to worry about a player getting hurt then you need to make sure they don't play a pick up basketball game ride a scooter around campus or do any thing.
My favorite on this:

Tech was playing LSU. The Tigers came out on Friday and did an hour of knocking. Then Tech took the field and played - wait for it - volleyball for 45 minutes. The LSU players weren't impressed. Then came the game. Here I'm paraphrasing an LSU player. "We were hitting them hard and stopping them. They would go back to the huddle and talk to each other, but they didn't seem too upset at what was happening. We started to think that if they didn't take the game seriously and try hard every play, there was no reason for us to either. That's when they beat the Hell out of us."

Dodd knew what he was doing alright. I don't think spring games mean all that much anyway and, while I don't like the jive, Collins is right to make them more about running the game right then showing what a bunch of honchos we are.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
BUT, you have to admit THEY have been playing at an "elite" level, us not so much at this point.
I know, I know ......complete rebuild after the TO, CGC ONLY in his 3rd year........blah,
Elite level? 14-10 in the last 2 years. Fedora was 45-43. I hope that’s not what we’re shooting for. We see taking it a step at a time but our ceiling is way higher than that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it doesn't mean their opinion has any value.
This got me to thinking...how can anyone say with certainy that their own opinion, given the definition of the word, has value? I will say that I am often astonished with how many people confuse their opinions with facts.

But to get us back on track, did you see that one play by that one guy? Amazing (in my opinion of course).

Scubapro

Banned
I would like to note, I was one of the 200-300ish fans at the 2014 spring game. We looked like ****ing garbage and ran load/zone option 10000 times in a row. Everyone can relax.
I do remember Smelter making several nice catches. :p:)
Seriously, spring games are just for show

Scubapro

Banned
Elite level? 14-10 in the last 2 years. Fedora was 45-43. I hope that’s not what we’re shooting for. We see taking it a step at a time but our ceiling is way higher than that.
Better than what Collins has produced....everyone is looking at UNC's upside being better than ours. Time will tell.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I do remember Smelter making several nice catches. :p:)
Seriously, spring games are just for show
Talk about a nightmare from an exposure standpoint. Especially with old-school Paul at the helm. Yoikes. It is a stark contrast in effort.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Talk about a nightmare from an exposure standpoint. Especially with old-school Paul at the helm. Yoikes. It is a stark contrast in effort.
Yeah. Substance and results over style and flash. He really stunk, didn’t he? The man’s a HOF level coach with results everywhere he went. Give it a rest. We all hope this new staff will do even better, but it hasn’t been pretty so far.

1. Well it was nice with a lot of fans.
2. Tech at it again, screwed up parking. Should have known a baseball game was going to be played. Maybe timed the game for earlier and let fans go to the baseball game.
3. We kicked extra points and field goals but....some of the kicks were still low.
4. Best catch...Bruce Jordan Swilling. He needs to get on the field.
5. didn't really like the music playing the whole time but it was a show any way.
6. And with that, learned nothing but frankly, what Spring game ever shows anything. In the 80's the Georgia Spring game was number 2's against alumni.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
1. Well it was nice with a lot of fans.
2. Tech at it again, screwed up parking. Should have known a baseball game was going to be played. Maybe timed the game for earlier and let fans go to the baseball game.
3. We kicked extra points and field goals but....some of the kicks were still low.
4. Best catch...Bruce Jordan Swilling. He needs to get on the field.
5. didn't really like the music playing the whole time but it was a show any way.
6. And with that, learned nothing but frankly, what Spring game ever shows anything. In the 80's the Georgia Spring game was number 2's against alumni.
#2- the baseball game was supposed to be at 1 but was moved back because of the weather.
#3- our transfer kicker isn’t here yet
#4- doubt we see much if any of BJS.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Really strange game to watch. It really did feel like watching practice and the lack of intensity, particularly on the defensive side makes it a little boring. That said, some thoughts. Boyd looks good. We need someone to step up at receiver to replace Camp and he looks like he could be the guy. Sims looks pretty much the same as last year. His positives are still there. I guess we won't really know much about his progress until he plays in a real game. Yates and Peery looked like more than serviceable backups. Feeling good about QB overall. BJS looked good for a guy who will probably never play. I won't bash the defense too much because they weren't allowed to play at full speed, but lets just say I hope they are better than what was shown.