Spring game thoughts

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
There’s a lot of height & mass for the OL, even the backups, good to see. Paula-Johnson-Williams-Cochran-Minihan are big, maybe they’ll be the starters? Green and Leftwich are there in size also.

Eley #10 and Tatum #40 were active on defense. Moreso than quez, but maybe they played more snaps. D-line added size & speed. Harris #11 was in the backfield a lot. Makius #90 was active.

Sims made some good plays, but threw one right in the hands of Tatum, which he dropped, reminder of last season.

Peery can throw for distance but a few arched very high, which could give a db time to catch up.

Yates on a few of his option reads didn’t keep his head forward, looked like he was telegraphing the pitch. But maybe he was doing this bc it was a practice game and they weren’t at full speed.

It was good to see a lot of fans in the lower west and north stands.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Was disappointed in Dline. Shocker. Sims looked more mature and Polished. Peery made some really good reads but missed a couple throws. He will develop into a nice second option. I love Bruce but he needs to transfer, he’s just way too good to ride the pine. Jamious is faster than he’s ever been. Still want to see a WR breakout. Boyd had a nice catch but we still don’t have a go to guy on 3rd down, our Corners could’ve just been that good tonight but I want to see someone step up. LBs look fast for the first time in awhile, hope they can all play with Currys IQ.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly. It was just nice to be in a stadium again for the first time since 2019 COFH
I give you props for attending that game. I feel like there were maybe 17 tech fans in the entire stadium.

COVID restrictions were *much* more relaxed. Could have stood to open up another set of stands.

Thought both Edwards and Tatum looked good. Think they see the field this fall. We *should* have a lot of depth in the secondary, need to find the best 5 players.

Very excited to see Eley at linebacker. If I recall correctly he dropped a pick.

Avery Boyd had some nice plays, and King is *big*. Could end up being a redzone threat.

McGowan is gonna give teams fits, and it looks like McCollum is next up in that role.

You can tell Knights first instinct is to run. He's big though. Could see us rolling some wildcat packages for him.

Thought Peery had a nice run.

Pretty sure Yates parents were in front of us (two rows), or at least someone was filming his drives.

All in all I'm cautiously optimistic, but tough to tell from a glorified flag football game :). Don't think I saw any injuries and that's the big stat.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I didn't notice until I'd gotten home was the fact that there was only one time the ball was on the ground (is that right?). Looked to have cleaned up the fumbles, at least. The only one I can remember was on the reverse where Gibbs tried to pitch to McGowan.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
One thing I didn't notice until I'd gotten home was the fact that there was only one time the ball was on the ground (is that right?). Looked to have cleaned up the fumbles, at least. The only one I can remember was on the reverse where Gibbs tried to pitch to McGowan.
Easy to hold onto the ball when you know you’re not being tackled.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Really enjoyed watching the spring game. However, I’m a little disappointed in some of the comments here. Was anyone expecting a real game? Or comments about how other teams spring games are more physical? This isn’t a “game” this a glorified practice at the end of the spring allotment of practices. That’s what spring games have always been, just practice with cameras and nicer uni’s. Players had fun, fans enjoyed a night of watching practice, recruits enjoyed the environment, and coaches got to evaluate players in a different setting. It’s a win all around and we should be thankful there were no injuries.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Here are my thoughts.. simple enough:

Defense is improved. How much, not sure?

1st String Offense may be improved... couldn't tell with 2 hand touch.

Gibbs and Sims look 30% bigger in strength/muscle mass

Sims was already cool and mostly collected. Forcing the ball was his biggest mistake in freshman season. Is that fixed? Need a body of work to show that (2 games).

Offensive line dudes are bigger and look more like an SEC line in looks. Will they keep Clemson, ND, UGA, VT, etc. out of the backfield? We will see.

Also, run that 2-minute offense the entire game and you will get more points.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
It appears that our coaching staff has done a good job getting the players we need. Now we need to see if they can develop them into a winning team. This year is the year to start evaluating the coaching staff. I believe they will do well.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Terrible. Plan apparently was to get nobody hurt. As a result, was unable to learn much, if anything, about whether the team would be better next fall or not.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Terrible. Plan apparently was to get nobody hurt. As a result, was unable to learn much, if anything, about whether the team would be better next fall or not.

Assuming full speed and contact, I still think it is difficult to tell what you got when playing yourself. It's the proverbial " is our defense that awesome or is our offense that bad?" question (or vice versa).

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It appears that our coaching staff has done a good job getting the players we need. Now we need to see if they can develop them into a winning team. This year is the year to start evaluating the coaching staff. I believe they will do well.
Bingo!! We have spent 2 years with a focus on 1 thing - flipping the roster. I’d give that an A. This season is about the coaches. As mentioned by others there are going to be ways for this staff to maximize our players talents. The question is will they? So far based on what we’ve seen in 2 years I’m not confident at all. Love the recruiting and branding, but the actual coaching has been believe average even with the rebuild. If we get a first and goal from the 2 and we don’t have a jumbo package ready to go 4 straight plays then we are idiots. If we don’t just fair catch every kickoff then we are idiots. If we don’t utilize our richest at RB via the pass then we are idiots. Seriously, Gibbs, Griffin, Smith, and McGowan need touches via the short pass often and oftener. Let Mason and Bruce be the battering rams. And having Peery on the roster helps me sleep at night after what I saw. We now have a real backup who can win games if needed. I thought he looked fantastic given it was his first college experience.