• Yes, Go Jackets!

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Tailgate is set up. Mimosas are poured. Stop by for pork tacos after 11:30–we have plenty to spare. We’re under the pines north of the Boggs building. Look for the white Yeti cooler plastered in GT stickers.
Probably walked by, but before 10:45. Sorry we missed y'all.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t sure we’d be able to go but we were able to make it there with a few minutes left in the first half. Beautiful day. Saw some really nice plays. Can’t wait for the season.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Dont think I saw this mentioned anywhere so I’ll throw it out for those that couldn’t make it.
They opened up a the lower East bowl and a small part of the lower north for students. I’d say we were about 300-500 people away from having to open up more sections. Attendance up maybe 40% compared last year.
The people want tech football.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Dont think I saw this mentioned anywhere so I’ll throw it out for those that couldn’t make it.
They opened up a the lower East bowl and a small part of the lower north for students. I’d say we were about 300-500 people away from having to open up more sections. Attendance up maybe 40% compared last year.
I think it was wise to have multiple events the same day. I hope a lot of people did baseball or softball too. I would have if I was there.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I saw one estimate of 12,000. Baseball game had a good crowd too don't know about softball.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
They did have to open up section 131 to handle the additional crowd which included my wife and me.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I bet GSU shows up in Atlanta, so if we beat FSU, that could sell out. Just gauging from how many were at the spring game… The Jackets would be ALIVE after a FSU win.

Not to mention- they’ve already taken apart the 3k seats in the North.

FSU win or not, I’d expect this season’s average attendance to be highest it’s been in years.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think your expectations have been soiled by bad GT football
We might be playing good GT football this year
Oh I agree 100% that we may be good this year, i’m just not sure if duke has ever sold out here, i’ve been to lots of duke games in Atlanta, some when Tech was really good and none were sellouts

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Since the stadium was expanded to 55,000 in 2003, we have sold out 14 games. That's 14 times in 129 games (excluding the 2020 season) or roughly 11% of the total games we have played since expanding. Half of those games were against uga. The last non-uga sellout was FSU in 2015. Prior to that it was Clemson in 2011. 7 of those sellouts came from 2003-2006. our last sellout was uga in 2021.

I've attached a graph below. Red shades are uga games. Yellow shades are non-uga sellouts. I did not include 2020 or games played at MBS.

1713208749734.png

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
With the age of our season ticket holders, I don't see a realistic way to improve our average attendance unless we become a consistent Top 25 team. I think Key is doing a lot of things right. But the bias towards SEC and Big Ten teams being ranked will make this tough.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I bet GSU shows up in Atlanta, so if we beat FSU, that could sell out. Just gauging from how many were at the spring game… The Jackets would be ALIVE after a FSU win.

Not to mention- they’ve already taken apart the 3k seats in the North.

FSU win or not, I’d expect this season’s average attendance to be highest it’s been in years.
You been to Center Parc Stadium? State fans don’t even show up at home games.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Since the stadium was expanded to 55,000 in 2003, we have sold out 14 games. That's 14 times in 129 games (excluding the 2020 season) or roughly 11% of the total games we have played since expanding. Half of those games were against uga. The last non-uga sellout was FSU in 2015. Prior to that it was Clemson in 2011. 7 of those sellouts came from 2003-2006. our last sellout was uga in 2021.

I've attached a graph below. Red shades are uga games. Yellow shades are non-uga sellouts. I did not include 2020 or games played at MBS.

View attachment 16001
I think covid + the team being bad under Collins was what killed attendance.

Also a lot of our fanbase is old. We need the team to be good so that students will remain fans once they leave Tech,