Spring Game 2016: What are you looking forward to seeing?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Want to see de set a sharp edge so qb feels small pocket and lb has small off tackle run lane.

Oh wait we don't run those plays guess we will wait till fall to find out

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
For that we need a guard to run behind.

@flea77 -- Will ready to step up and lead? ;)
I don't know about that. From Dwyer to last year, we had BBs that ran behind just about any guard we had out there and lost yardage about once every 100 carries or so. Our problem last year was that the only BB who looked like he could duplicate that effort (Allen) was hurt too often to carry us on 3rd and 3 - 4. I want to see one BB - just one - show that kind of always-run-through-the-first-hit capability. That makes everyone look better at once. I sure do hope we can find one.

Then we can run him behind Will and see what happens.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll go with huge booming punts and all kick attempts good through the uprights. All the rest is either good for one side or bad for the other.

I'll also take tons of hustle and great team chemistry on display.

the last line is so true. That can be measured now.

I will say....our coaches always said they wanted the D to dominate in Spring. In general, if you wanted a side to win in spring, it was the D. Many reasons, but if the O is waterboarding the D up and down the field in spring...its usually, not always, but usually a good indicator the D is going to be really struggling. Sometimes, the O is just that good...but not normally

Many reasons for it...timing more critical on O; OL gelling with new folks; D generally can run downhill first and faster etc etc. But all things held equal, if you were to say ok lets get one side to do it; it would be the D.

Now as I said earlier...throw all that out the window since they go up against our O day in and day out in spring. There is little to slather over the season.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's super hard to draw conclusions from scrimmages, even fancy dress rehearsal ones. Maybe we can get a clue on some individual performance, but that's about it. However, if the offense is dominating the day, I think we're in for a long season.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I want to see Kallon play like we hoped Jabari would play last year and see strong evidence we will have a formidable pass rush. If that happens I will be pumped for the regular season.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
IMO at this point the D should be ahead of the O....so if I had to pick I'd rather see the O struggle more. I'd rather that be due to physical performance more than mental errors / blown assignments. But it will be too muddled to either feel great or bad about the ultimate outcome unless there are just a lot of unforced errors on one side, the other, or both.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I want to see Kallon play like we hoped Jabari would play last year and see strong evidence we will have a formidable pass rush. If that happens I will be pumped for the regular season.
Won't know if a strong pass rush is just weak pass blocking. Catch 22.

I wanna see a minimum of mental errors. Those are things that aren't affected by the opposition so it directly points to positive development rather than poor development by the opposition (which is still us.)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Won't know if a strong pass rush is just weak pass blocking. Catch 22.

a bit, but if the DL is mainly all returning and you kinda know what you got...then you will know its weak pass blocking cuz our DL is not good at rushing as 4. IMO Freeman, Gamble, Chungong etc...not gonna all of a sudden make some Strahan type jump. From what I hear the new guys are playing well, but not definitively supplanting them either.

So for me, if our OL struggles in pass blocking...ugh...cuz we don't have any DL studs really...solid guys here and there...but nothing crazy like some team we face field.

look we have underrecruited our OL which has left us exposed when 1 guy leaves and we get 1 or 2 injuries...which is normal...we need more bodies.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If we are not going to allow the QB to be hit, you won't really know much either way. I think that is a mistake with our offense. I think not allowing JT to be hit last year made him tentative when the real games started. The timing with this offense is based on extreme precision and you don't hone that unless you are under live fire. High risk high reward. I think this is a major issue with our performance and will have a negative impact on this season as well. I know the obvious answer is you can not play if you are injured but I really think you can't play well if you are tentative. That's where we are at.

Go Jackets!