Sports science research and data analytics

GT33

Helluva Engineer
love batt’s ideas and messaging so far. can’t wait to see it all turn to action. have a feeling we will be much happier with our ad situation in the coming years :)
Finally have a President in Cabrera that values student athletes and considers sports an important part of GT's fabric, not a necessary nuisance like Peterson and others. Then he hired Batt, who is demonstrating he's got a vision for the future which isn't just doing what others bugger programs used to be doing. It's going to be a stellar combination I think, rivaling the Homer Rice days except this time you have a fully invested President instead of Petit/Crecine.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Finally have a President in Cabrera that values student athletes and considers sports an important part of GT's fabric, not a necessary nuisance like Peterson and others. Then he hired Batt, who is demonstrating he's got a vision for the future which isn't just doing what others bugger programs used to be doing. It's going to be a stellar combination I think, rivaling the Homer Rice days except this time you have a fully invested President instead of Petit/Crecine.
Crecine was fully onboard with improving the Athletics at Tech. Maybe you mean Petit and Klough? Crecine did more for GT Athletics than any president in the history of the Institute. Do you think the natatorium just magically showed up on GT's campus? Do you think all the housing associated with the 1996 Olympics just magically arrived? Do you think GT being the Olympic Village was just happenstance? Maybe you should revisit your history.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Crecine was fully onboard with improving the Athletics at Tech. Maybe you mean Petit and Klough? Crecine did more for GT Athletics than any president in the history of the Institute. Do you think the natatorium just magically showed up on GT's campus? Do you think all the housing associated with the 1996 Olympics just magically arrived? Do you think GT being the Olympic Village was just happenstance? Maybe you should revisit your history.
You are right.
Before olympics gt was more about football and bb than it was swiming

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are right.
Before olympics gt was more about football and bb than it was swiming

It was about facilities and exposure. Olympic sports are important too. Can you tell me another President that oversaw the football team win the National Championship and the basketball play in the Final Four in the same year? Yeah, I didn't think so.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It was about facilities and exposure. Olympic sports are important too. Can you tell me another President that oversaw the football team win the National Championship and the basketball play in the Final Four in the same year? Yeah, I didn't think so.
Man, I agreed w u
PREZ C got the 96 Olympics and we were great on 90 s .

Wecome to the 21st century.

AT TURN OF this century - we had a spurt in bb and gradually declined into debt ridden irrelevance in football and basketball.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
So illuminate us all on all the wonderful things Crecine did for GT sports. Here's some food for thought:

He mentored Homer Rice so he would be a good AD?
He offered up alumni information to GT Athletics Association so they could fundraise better?
He helped improved the football, basketball and baseball facilities?
He directed the individual schools to offer schedule friendly course offerings so players wouldn't have to miss practice?
He beefed up the compliance office so our programs wouldn't end up on probation somewhere down the road?
He led some initiative to increase spending on athletics?
He brokered some athlete friendly degree programs with the Board of Regents?
He eased admissions standards so our recruiting would improve?

Just some ideas. Maybe he did other things? I'm sure you'll wow us with the specifics and we'll all be able to understand. Certainly he pulled off some really great work for GT atletics prior to being the recipient of money generated solely by the fact Atlanta was awarded the Olympics an GT was ideally situated to house a large portion of the athletes with new & exisiting dorms plus had room for the pool & McTit could be used for boxing.

Hey I just remembered one- Danny Hall was hired during his tenure. Had nothing to do with the Olympics either. That should get you started.

Crecine was a fine President, a great steward for GTRI and bolstered our academic reputation. Petit tried to move us to D3, Clough got laughed out of a meeting I attended one time because he was seemingly unaware of the state of our football and basketball programs. I was overseas the bulk of Crecine's tenture and I don't recall anyone I know really mentioning him ever in regards to any of our athletic programs. People talk about Homer Rice all the time, same as Bobby Dodd. Never hear them say & oh yeah don't forget Crecine and all he did for us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So illuminate us all on all the wonderful things Crecine did for GT sports. Here's some food for thought:

He offered up alumni information to GT Athletics Association so they could fundraise better?
He directed the individual schools to offer schedule friendly course offerings so players wouldn't have to miss practice?
He beefed up the compliance office so our programs wouldn't end up on probation somewhere down the road?

Just some ideas. Maybe he did other things? I'm sure you'll wow us with the specifics and we'll all be able to understand. Certainly he pulled off some really great work for GT atletics prior to being the recipient of money generated solely by the fact Atlanta was awarded the Olympics an GT was ideally situated to house a large portion of the athletes with new & exisiting dorms plus had room for the pool & McTit could be used for boxing.

Hey I just remembered one- Danny Hall was hired during his tenure. Had nothing to do with the Olympics either. That should get you started.

Crecine was a fine President, a great steward for GTRI and bolstered our academic reputation. Petit tried to move us to D3, Clough got laughed out of a meeting I attended one time because he was seemingly unaware of the state of our football and basketball programs. I was overseas the bulk of Crecine's tenture and I don't recall anyone I know really mentioning him ever in regards to any of our athletic programs. People talk about Homer Rice all the time, same as Bobby Dodd. Never hear them say & oh yeah don't forget Crecine and all he did for us.
This century the prez s have let gtaa head into bankrupcy zone. By comparison C is great.

Ps- who thinks its a good idea to have nearly all the research from DOD.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
This century the prez s have let gtaa head into bankrupcy zone. By comparison C is great.

Ps- who thinks its a good idea to have nearly all the research from DOD.
You hit the nail on the head. Most guys I know have opinions on all Presidents and ADs in our tenure. Nobody ever mentions Crecine. He made no major missteps other than pissing off faculty and some assorted influential people by reoganizing our schools. I'm sure there's people passionate about whether it was a good or bad move, but GT seems to have done just fine since then.

Back to my original point, we have a new AD with what appears to be an outstanding vision and a highly supportive President. That's a combination we've not had in my lifetime. Perhaps back in the days of Dodd that's the way it was, but that's before my time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Man, I agreed w u
PREZ C got the 96 Olympics and we were great on 90 s .

Wecome to the 21st century.

AT TURN OF this century - we had a spurt in bb and gradually declined into debt ridden irrelevance in football and basketball.
Yeah, I wasn’t being salty. I such at emojis to show sarcasm or non-seriousness. I didn’t take what you said as contrary, and I apologize for the way my response read. I was emphasizing what I was saying not being snarky with you.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

You could certainly do your own research.

However, the Olympic Village was originally going to housed on the Atlanta University Center campus. There was friction between the City and Morehouse about the Medical School and Crecine stepped in and convinced Billy Payne that GT was a better venue for the Village because of the natural borders and security.

Crecine also created the College of Liberal Arts. You know, the one with majors other than Industrial Management, Science, or Engineering that half of our football and basketball players major in today.

Again, there’s two things you apparently didn’t know before. If you want more, do your own research. The man had many flaws, but being unsupportive of GT Athletics was absolutely not one of them.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You could certainly do your own research.

However, the Olympic Village was originally going to housed on the Atlanta University Center campus. There was friction between the City and Morehouse about the Medical School and Crecine stepped in and convinced Billy Payne that GT was a better venue for the Village because of the natural borders and security.

Crecine also created the College of Liberal Arts. You know, the one with majors other than Industrial Management, Science, or Engineering that half of our football and basketball players major in today.

Again, there’s two things you apparently didn’t know before. If you want more, do your own research. The man had many flaws, but being unsupportive of GT Athletics was absolutely not one of them.
OK, you're the one arguing he's a massive supporter of GT sports. He offered nothing to our sports programs. Wasn't anti-GT sports but also contributed nothing. Not atypical for a GT President, but that was my point. You calimed it wasn't the case. Consider me unconvinced by all your information provided.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You hit the nail on the head. Most guys I know have opinions on all Presidents and ADs in our tenure. Nobody ever mentions Crecine. He made no major missteps other than pissing off faculty and some assorted influential people by reoganizing our schools. I'm sure there's people passionate about whether it was a good or bad move, but GT seems to have done just fine since then.

Back to my original point, we have a new AD with what appears to be an outstanding vision and a highly supportive President. That's a combination we've not had in my lifetime. Perhaps back in the days of Dodd that's the way it was, but that's before my time.
Can you name any President of any university where they say “don’t forget so-and-so and all he did for the university!”
OK, you're the one arguing he's a massive supporter of GT sports. He offered nothing to our sports programs. Wasn't anti-GT sports but also contributed nothing. Not atypical for a GT President, but that was my point. You calimed it wasn't the case. Consider me unconvinced by all your information provided.
first, I have no compunction to convince you of anything. The fact that you assert that building a world-class swimming and diving facility on campus had nothing to do with a man obsessed with swimming shows either ignorance or an agenda.

Second, I provided two instances where he did a ton to support GT Athletics.

Third, if you didn’t know the man or wasn’t in or around Tech during his tenure, then you shouldn’t comment about things you don’t know about. I was there. I did know the man. I was part of GTOC and AOC.

Fourth, name one President that has done more for GT Athletics. Name one President of any university that you could say was a supporter of Athletics. I don’t know many who could because their support is mainly behind closed doors and not overly publicized.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I propose we talk about- (not previous century, this century to date but) the future of "technology to be used by gt" to differentiate gt football from others.

i suggest we look at an example of what one nfl team did 6 years ago to make their ol "quicker at recognizing dl rush and " making real game speed foot hand reactions" that the coaches expected. A few years ago son got to go to Lambeau training w gb ol kid he coached in HS. In the inside facility during ol drills -- on wall they had series of tv all hooked to computer. Each ol also had a virtual head set. The plays were called by the coach - including ol calls, dl players appered on screen, loud game noises, line calls made by centers, then snap executed. Each ol guy could look in virtual reality from his position. The players were on a sensor pad to record their actions. Drills were designed to prepare for next teams tendencies and individual dl player schemes. They drilled at full speed for 0 to 1 second. Then coach yelled at which ever guy was moving feet not at optimim order, speed and displacment. The player were trained as a unit. Every thing was recorded.

(Nice story - The ol kid my son coached was a giant who had quick feet but never had to learn technique in college. He walked on at Panthers and made it 2 years as he gradually got down to 360#. Then to titans where he really got fast -340. Then to green bay where he learned to be INSTINCTIVELY QUICK IN FIRST MOVE - moved to guard. Played several more years and retired w 12$m in bank and wife who is on track to be a Dr. )

Skipping the nice story to what technology we need.
IMO, we need to get our PLAYERS drilled to be INSTINCTIVELY QUICK.

I do not want TFP to buy it!
So lets move on to the future to Tech at Tech Athletics

GT33

Helluva Engineer
@iceeater1969 I think what you're referring to is exactly what Cabrera, Batt & Key are planning. We're sitting on multiple goldmines, takes no more than a 10-15 min walk to most from the Edge to get to most of them. If there's one thing we should excel at, this is it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
@iceeater1969 I think what you're referring to is exactly what Cabrera, Batt & Key are planning. We're sitting on multiple goldmines, takes no more than a 10-15 min walk to most from the Edge to get to most of them. If there's one thing we should excel at, this is it.
The modeling to control a drone swarm are devloped and implemented within 1 mile of BDS.
i wonder if Hill only cares about the receipt Of a billion a year in DOD supplied research grants.

More and more very smart gt students and grad students are needed to help the elite profs feed the $ threadmill.