Spinning off climate change discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Perhaps we can have representatives from both parties argue their sides after our band completes their halftime show entitled "tribute to math".

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Reality, math, and science have a well known liberal bias...

You are mistaking the noise for the signal. I could cherry-pick short term data just like you that makes the loses look worse than they are, but I don't; doing so mistakes a short-term random variation for the powerful long-term trend behind the data.

Let me guess; both of your opinions on this start and end with people who are constantly stating that "I am not a scientist but..." Your argument is almost entirely based on the Appeal to Consequences logical fallacy.
This will be my only response to this:
What do you think happened on this planet from the time it was born until the time people started keeping records? Any warming or cooling trends in the past several hundreds of thousands of years?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for answering so that the rest of us don't have to. I thought Tech was the last bastion of people who still trust science. Climate change deniers always make me think we have entered a new Dark Ages of silliness and superstition.

I thought it was global warming by man?
Thought I Would get on the tangent track to help this thread gets the hijack award.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Did you read it? It makes my point. It literally begins, "Most climate scientists agree ..." and then summarizes the theory which the data no longer supports. However, if you put your faith in "most climate scientists," good for you. It is Sunday after all.
Of course it does, nothing is absolute especially when it come to opinions from a bunch of egg heads. If I jump out of an airplane w/o a parachute I am most likely gonna die. It's not absolute, there is documented cases of people surviving when parachutes have failed to deploy. Does that mean I want to jump out of airplane w/o one? How 'bout you?

Scientific Consensus
Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position.

I'll side with the opinion of 97% of the world experts on the topic over the 3% that don't. Especially when those 3% don't actually disagree, they just want more data.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Of course it does, nothing is absolute especially when it come to opinions from a bunch of egg heads. If I jump out of an airplane w/o a parachute I am most likely gonna die. It's not absolute, there is documented cases of people surviving when parachutes have failed to deploy. Does that mean I want to jump out of airplane w/o one? How 'bout you?

Scientific Consensus
Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position.

I'll side with the opinion of 97% of the world experts on the topic over the 3% that don't. Especially when those 3% don't actually disagree, they just want more data.

Learn both sides.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Excuse me, this thread is titled "we have no business winning these next two games" not "we have no business surviving these next two ice ages."

Despite the evidence supporting climate change for the hotter, most climate scientists agree we are heading towards another ice age.

Oh, and at some point, plate techtonics is going to stop, but only after another supercontinent forms. Other than that, all is well.

Plate tectonics is NOT going to stop. It never has and never will. When your proverbial subcontinent forms it will immediately start to break apart.

Richt and Dabo are wonderful recruiters and just average coaches. History says talent usually wins. But then, history proves that neither peoples nor governments learn anything from history.

Jackets have a real shot to take Clempson down. But put your $$ on Clempson; put your heart with the jackets!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for answering so that the rest of us don't have to. I thought Tech was the last bastion of people who still trust science. Climate change deniers always make me think we have entered a new Dark Ages of silliness and superstition.
what is going on in this thread?? Guess I will have to stop reading it here. Haven't seen any football in it.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
OK. I am going to step in as moderator and respectfully ask that we stick to football. I don't want to lock this thing down. If you want to talk climate science, great, just do it in the appropriate forum. Thanks.

Thank You.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
We beat down NC State in the most complete game of the year. Headed to a game against one of our biggest rivals (both ranked in the top 25). For a game at home!! Let's talk global warming :cool:

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Why do you have to be "Liberal" to believe in science?
Why are we so quick to label & ridicule the opposite side. Georgia is so polarized along racial lines in voting it's so troubling to me.
Moderators please do not clean this post because I really think this dialogue would be healthy, to some degree at least.

Declinometer

Banned
Why do you have to be "Liberal" to believe in science?
Why are we so quick to label & ridicule the opposite side. Georgia is so polarized along racial lines in voting it's so troubling to me.
Moderators please do not clean this post because I really think this dialogue would be healthy, to some degree at least.
No kidding! Blacks voting 95% for one party is a travesty. It doesn't get more polarizing than that!

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I was wondering why this thread was so popular...

I'm sad to see such fierce attacks used against holders of certain scientific opinion on both sides rather than helpful discussion on the topic. THAT would be more proof of the Tech community's wherewithal when it comes to scientific theories more so than prescribing to the one that's currently in vogue.

The OP makes a good point, and we may very well lose both games, but I think we'll make some sad gamblers and happy GT fans at least one of these times, and if once why not both?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The earth is 6 billion years old and data ranging back to 1975 is "long term" data...

I think it's clear that climate is changing but not so clear that it'll be an apocalypse. This ol' ball o'dirt has been through a lot in 6 billion years. She ain't as good as she once was, but she's as good once as she ever was.
Now that we have completely hijacked this thread please not that core drilling ice produces a snapshot of climate changes that is older than 1975. And the question has never been whether or not earth will survive; the only question has been what kind of earth we want to leave for future generations. Right now the picture on that is not too good.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This will be my only response to this:
What do you think happened on this planet from the time it was born until the time people started keeping records? Any warming or cooling trends in the past several hundreds of thousands of years?
You do not have to speculate about this. We have pretty good indications of what happened. It is one of the reasons why organizations like NOAA and institutions as main stream as The Weather Channel completely changed their position on global warming a few years ago.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Boomer said stop the non-football talk, like the government we need to find something we agree on, hey wait, we have an exciting football team we all love, maybe we can talk about that?

Along those lines, I went to a Clemson board and those guys give us no shot. They think their D is gonna gut our O like a fish. Hmmm......

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a scam to cheat the American tax payers out of their money in the name of science and redistribution of wealth. Try peddling this stuff to the Chinese who are the absolute worst offenders when it comes to pollution.

OK, I refrained from commenting but this thread is really "We Have No Business Discussing Facts". The fact is that the earth is getting warmer for the entire planet as evidenced by the rise in sea level every year. That is fact. The mechanism of sunlight not being filtered as much coming to the earth by CO2 than infrared going out is the mechanism which humans have substantially changed and is provable in the laboratory under controlled settings.

What to do about it is politics. Most "answers" to problems in this country are scams to make money for those in power. And the Chinese have far bigger problems and have to generate a lot more wealth to keep the people from revolting. They will do whatever they have to do generate heat and power. They continue to poision their country with much more immediate and harmful air pollution.

The earth has been around for ~6 billion years and will be here after humans have killed themselves off. I just hope we make it through beating UGAg one more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.