Speculating on Emergency Personnel

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Lot of conversation about inexperience at the offensive skill positions. Understated and embedded in a lot of threads is the fact that we are now playing replacements of the replacement players e.g., heading into the summer we expected contributions from Snoddy, Andrews, Searcy, Cottrell (most prepared true frosh AB per CPJ). Right there are arguably our top 4 ABs at that time who are not playing this Saturday. Add to that our most experienced WR being out and you start to wonder whether how much of our current issues are due to inexperience vs. what's becoming a straight up lack of depth.

We've beaten the "inexperience" horse to death, so let's talk about depth. What do we do in an emergency situation going forward if depth gets worse? Here's a few ideas floating thru my head. I'm intentionally excluding MLD and Quaide from the list since those possibilities are out in the open.
  1. Lance Austin to AB.... always thought one of the Austins would end up at AB before they hit campus. He's seeing few meaningful minutes at DB. He's my top candidate out of this list of hypotheses.
  2. Christian Campbell to AB... Here's the idea with CC... with Byerly conceivably coming back next year, CC could redshirt next year. He's practiced our offense and even dressed at ND, so he has experience relative to our other emergency options. Far fetched imo and a true worst case scenario.
  3. Marcus Allen to WR... he's practiced there before, albeit maybe only during bowl prep. Realistically I expect Howell and Philpott to burn shirts before this move happens.
  4. Marcus Marshall to AB... this would be mutually exclusive with the prior suggestion for depth reasons. Marshall's talent in the open field could arguably see increased value at AB right now. Not sure if a move to AB solves the ball security issues. In my mind that position poses less risk. Might not be fact, but I'm remembering Synjyn having fewer fumbles when going to AB and being outside of the mesh/trash.
  5. TaQuon Marshall to WR... not ideal given his relative success to-date at AB, however he seems to have speed, hands, and blocking want-to to potentially adapt, and combining this with the other potential AB moves we'd avoid burning another redshirt.

Thoughts on these ideas? Any other moves that CPJ should obviously consider ;)?

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
Like some of the thoughts... Hopefully we make a splash with MLD this weekend and then Snoddy comes back quickly!

Do we know how long Summers is out?

Has Marshall had any more fumbles or balls loose after the first game?

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
CC to AB with a delayed RS is pretty creative. I hope we don't get into those situations though.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nice write-up. Austin to AB makes the most sense. I don't know if Dorian Walker had an audition on offense, but now might be the time. He looks like a playmaker, but I can see why he would fit on D.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
CC to AB is ridiculous. They aren't going to burn his redshirt, especially when they're looking at him as taking over for Justin in 2 years.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
CC to AB with a delayed RS is pretty creative. I hope we don't get into those situations though.
Thanks. I agree, the idea is probably closer to Jabari/Kallon in the I-formation than reality.

CC to AB is ridiculous. They aren't going to burn his redshirt, especially when they're looking at him as taking over for Justin in 2 years.
I think we're mostly in alignment, though I'm not sure if you read my explanation for this one.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think TaQuon to receiver is intriguing. In the few looks I've had with him, he looks to have a wide receiver body and catches the ball well. I think he could stretch field.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you on point (1). On another site I predicted that one of the Austins would play A-back. When that did not happen I just said to myself for the hundredth time, "Shows what you know about football." Now it seems like a move worth reconsidering. Only question is how long would it take for him to learn the position relative to where we are in the season?

Point (4) is also interesting. Continue to use Skov and develop Allen at B-back and move the more elusive runner (MM) to where we can get him in space, either running or catching. I could see him being a serious threat on the rocket toss as well as passes into the seams.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There comes a point in injuries when you just have to accept that position will be an issue regardless and don't hurt the program long term by trying to find a make shift treatment with a low chance of saving the year this year. Moving AJ, CC, or MM to Aback would be doing just that. All 3 are clearly in line to be starters at important positions. The defense has constantly be an issue under Johnson and the last thing we need now that it's starting to get some momentum is to have the O raid the best athletes from that side. CC looks to be the heir apparent to Thomas at QB, basing on the decision to move Jordan to Aback in the pre-season, and he's positioned perfectly for that now. RS this year, serve as the number 2 next year, then start as a rs. soph. No point in throwing all that away. Moving Marshall would leave us in the same position at BBack next year that we were in this year.

I doubt we're likely to need to do any of this because aren't both MLD and Quaide at aback now and could go if need be? But if continue to have injuries one of the moves I see happening is Jordan going back to Aback, which based on the coaches moving him in pre-season, seems to be a move that is just a matter of time. Leaves us thin at QB, but with the way this team is, if Thomas can't go we're up the creak either way. Otherwise my only other guess is that Allen, the journeyman that he has been, continues that trend.

Otherwise, if things really get bad, walkons.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There comes a point in injuries when you just have to accept that position will be an issue regardless and don't hurt the program long term by trying to find a make shift treatment with a low chance of saving the year this year. Moving AJ, CC, or MM to Aback would be doing just that. All 3 are clearly in line to be starters at important positions. The defense has constantly be an issue under Johnson and the last thing we need now that it's starting to get some momentum is to have the O raid the best athletes from that side. CC looks to be the heir apparent to Thomas at QB, basing on the decision to move Jordan to Aback in the pre-season, and he's positioned perfectly for that now. RS this year, serve as the number 2 next year, then start as a rs. soph. No point in throwing all that away. Moving Marshall would leave us in the same position at BBack next year that we were in this year.

I doubt we're likely to need to do any of this because aren't both MLD and Quaide at aback now and could go if need be? But if continue to have injuries one of the moves I see happening is Jordan going back to Aback, which based on the coaches moving him in pre-season, seems to be a move that is just a matter of time. Leaves us thin at QB, but with the way this team is, if Thomas can't go we're up the creak either way. Otherwise my only other guess is that Allen, the journeyman that he has been, continues that trend.

Is this a troll post?

a) disagree on giving up on this season and playing for the future due to injuries.
b) CC is not the heir apparent, he's in line, down the line.
c) it's already been discussed that MJ was moved to get his athleticism on the field and that idea was reinforced when he was immediately moved back to qb when TB went down.
d) Do you think MLD and Quaide have been moved permanently to Aback, too?
e) I guess Anthony Allen at Aback was because he was washed up at Bback and that his time spent at Aback hurt the program long term.
f) As a coach, you always do whatever you can to win now. That includes burning shirts and moving players. It's nothing new and nothing unique to GT.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Haven't agreed with much of anything you have said on here lately, but I agree with everything you just said in this post.

(EDIT): Except the gloom and doom about this season. I agree that guys need to stay put for the most part at their positions, but I believe we will still have a successful season, regardless.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@dressedcheeseside
I now believe the answer to your first question is yes. Whole take appears to be flush this current season and hope doing so helps us next year. After 2 losses....

Gotta be trolling or the biggest quitter I've seen on this board. Our seniors have worked too hard in their careers for the coaches to quit on them. Heck...they have worked too hard to deserve us fans quitting on them also.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
@dressedcheeseside
I now believe the answer to your first question is yes. Whole take appears to be flush this current season and hope doing so helps us next year. After 2 losses....

Gotta be trolling or the biggest quitter I've seen on this board. Our seniors have worked too hard in their careers for the coaches to quit on them. Heck...they have worked too hard to deserve us fans quitting on them also.

Agree with the season outlook stuff. I edited my last post to reflect that.