South Bend here I come.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Hotels book up in South Bend on football weekend.......a Holiday in Express is $400 a night.
Yes, I'm spending almost as much on airfare into South Bend as I am on a hotel about 3mi from stadium. Hotels closer than that to the stadium are pretty much booked up already. Flying into and staying in Chicago is about half the cost of doing the same into South Bend, from what I saw. Fortunately I > $80k! :)

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone know of a good place to stay close to the stadium? It will be the anniversary weekend for my wife and I, and I would like a nice place to stay.

Having spent probably 40+ nights there for work, the Ivy Court is a great spot if you want to be close to campus.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Airbnb has some good deals on lodging. That's what I'm gonna do once I find out my ticket request (through a friend) comes through.

Btw, what's the best website to find/book the best airfare and should I wait or do it now?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Airbnb has some good deals on lodging. That's what I'm gonna do once I find out my ticket request (through a friend) comes through.

Btw, what's the best website to find/book the best airfare and should I wait or do it now?

For Air Fare - I like to use KAYAK.com Get a list of most (Southwest i don't think gets listed) airlines and their fares for the route use choose.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow

For Air Fare - I like to use KAYAK.com Get a list of most (Southwest i don't think gets listed) airlines and their fares for the route use choose.

I like to start with Kayak and Google.com/flights to seek out itineraries that are convenient for me...

Then I go to yapta.com to actually track price changes... I think they've removed the ability to actually do that (the company is pivoting to be a paid service for corporations who do their own in-house travel booking), but you can still access it at https://my.yapta.com/login/?returnTo=/mytrips/

Google Flights is nice because it can suggest changes to your itinerary that would save you money in-line. For example, when I searched for trips to Chicago, after the first 5 or so cheapest options, there was a recommendation to fly first class at the price point between #5 and #6 in the list... Would have never found that out searching Kayak (defaults to economy class).

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone know of a good place to stay close to the stadium? It will be the anniversary weekend for my wife and I, and I would like a nice place to stay.

Anniversary weekend? I'd say Chicago. Take your lady out for a nice steak Friday night and then take the train over to South Bend on Saturday morning. You can also find a cheaper hotel than $400 at a Holiday Inn Express...

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow

Delta has some right now that are a little less than $300 total there and back.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you're just flying into Chicago to go to South Bend, then look into Midway. It's further south and I think Frontier flies into there for less than $200. My wife has done the reverse. I'm probably flying down to Atlanta in a couple of weeks to pick up a car for my kids. $49/one way.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Definitely fly into Midway to get to SB. Take 55th (street, not interstate although that works too) to 80/90, head east, and you're there.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
As of this moment you can fly Delta Friday afternoon/night and back Monday morning for $146. It's O'Hare rather than MDW, but I'd be all over this if I knew my plans already. That's a pretty good weekend for 1/2 of PTO at most on Monday.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
As of this moment you can fly Delta Friday afternoon/night and back Monday morning for $146. It's O'Hare rather than MDW, but I'd be all over this if I knew my plans already. That's a pretty good weekend for 1/2 of PTO at most on Monday.
I've been told multiple times by various ND alum that you can get tickets to the game right before the game at face value. If it's a really nice day, then you may need to get them about an hour before kickoff, maybe slightly above face value. They all said that ND tix are the highest priced tix on places like stubhub and other resale sites, because no one wants to make the drive down from Chicago without tickets in-hand. You're not likely to get more than 2 together, but there you have it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Season Ticket holders should be getting e-mail soon if not already received. Mine shows being sent at 5PM today (EDST)