SoS

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
People in our section left at the beginning of the 2nd half, couldn't believe it. I thought it was over too, but was not surprised by the comeback. Team with good coaching and tradition, like GT.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Southern is a strong team for the Sun Belt. They don't have the depth to be a good FBS team yet, but I don't doubt they will. I could see GSU eventually joining a conference like the AAC. I don't see them ever breaking into the Power 5, but who knows. There are many, many things that will change over the next 10 years at GSU to make them more competitive with the big boys of the FBS.

However, I agree with mts315, the second half was an aberration, rather than the rule. A GT team came out in the second half and got punched in the mouth by a strong GSU team. That team has heart and some big time players. Unfortunately for GSU, there aren't enough big time players there yet. That may change, we'll see. But if GT doesn't turn it off at half-time, that game ends with a 56-24 score, or something like that. GT came out in the second half cold and GSU almost make them pay for it.

In the end, the more talented team usually wins. This doesn't happen every time, but mostly it does. After watching them beat App State, I think GSU will compete very well in the Sun Belt. Give them a few years of recruiting and improving facilities and I could see them moving up to a higher tier conference. If they play that game 20 times, GT will win 19 of them, if not 20. The talent/depth differential is too disparate right now.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes, the GT fumble was lucky, surprised it was overturned. I am as big a GT fan as anyone, but you are delusional if you don't think a little luck was involved.
I think GT was lucky the QB made a crappy decision to pitch there. I don't think we were lucky the call got overturned. To my eye, on the DVR, it was clearly NOT forward. They got it right in the booth.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think GT wins 4 out of 5 or 9 out of 10 against that team. Something like that. GSU is pretty good for a brand new FBS program. They have some good players. I don't think we are 35-10 better than them on consistent basis for a half and I feel strongly they are not 28-7 better than us either. If we were to play them again, the Vegas odds would need to be around GT-13 to make the bets even.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
GSU's Sun Belt schedule is soft. Then again, so is the league. Thought GSU would be 6-6 going into the season. But with godawful Troy, godawful Ga State, godawful Idaho and godawful New Mexico State ahead, Southern could be 8-4 without much problem this year. Add UMass and Eastern Michigan to that schedule and Southern would get the run of the worst of the worst of FBS.
Navy will be tough. Texas State will be the third roadie in four games, so either them or La Monroe might trip up the Eagles.

Watched last night's game and while Southern's offense was good again (that nine minute drive after Wright's goal line pick was vintage Southern), App is nothing like it has been. I foresee a coaching change there by the end of next year.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, I disagree with the idea that the fumble was lucky. The GaSo QB made a pitch to a player he thought was open. I can just about guarantee you he wasn't thinking "he's in front of me so at worst this will be an incomplete pass." He just pitched it. I would also be willing to bet that he was as shocked as anyone when they initially ruled it an incomplete pass instead of a fumble.

Facts are he made a pitch. The GT player made a huge play to break it up. GT jumped on the loose ball. Wasn't a bad pitch. Wasn't a drop. The call could have gone either way and did go both ways. Regardless of the call the GT defender stepped up and made a big play when he needed to.

And in the end I believe the refs got the call right, but I admit that's debatable.

JPAugusta

Georgia Tech Fan
How is Tulane doing? Did they beat Duke pretty bad? ;)
I think the Duke/Tulane score is deceiving if you consider the stats. Tulane had 5 turnovers and a safety (a turnover) which made for a more lopsided game.
First Downs-
Tulane 28. Duke 23
Total Yards-
Tulane 391. Duke 437
Penalties-
Tulane 13-92. Duke 7-80
Turnovers-
Tulane 5. Duke 2

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the Duke/Tulane score is deceiving if you consider the stats. Tulane had 5 turnovers and a safety (a turnover) which made for a more lopsided game.
First Downs-
Tulane 28. Duke 23
Total Yards-
Tulane 391. Duke 437
Penalties-
Tulane 13-92. Duke 7-80
Turnovers-
Tulane 5. Duke 2
Was just messing with thwgjacket. We had a bet on that game, and on Tulane not making a bowl.

thwgjacket

I assume you have come around on Tulane making a bowl now too?
Still think their running game gives them a chance and their schedule isn't the toughest. They will lose to ECU and Cincy but none of the other teams are that good. I will agree, it does not look good. But you never know.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Still think their running game gives them a chance and their schedule isn't the toughest. They will lose to ECU and Cincy but none of the other teams are that good. I will agree, it does not look good. But you never know.
They will lose tomorrow to Friedgen's offense at Rutgers. Tanner Lee has not been playing well, and they continue to play him.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Friedgen's offense rolls for 462 yards on Tulane today. Tulane will probably damage SOS with only a few wins all season, but Southern should probably end up as Sun Belt champs.

Hopefully uga damages our SOS today too :)