SoS

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Southern has some really good athletes, as well as APPSt. The QB, Lamb, for ApSt is going to be a good one. Amazing how many good athletes slip through the cracks and land at schools not in the Big 5. May be grades or one more inch or 10 lbs. Who knows?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yep, Georgia Southern could easily be 5-0, probably should be.

I find this sentiment from Southern fans silly. We dominated the 1st half, they dominated the second half. Came down to who made the plays. Even after the fumble, all they had to do was not give up a 70 yard TD drive. Even after the fumble @NCSU all they had to do was not give up a 99 yard TD drive. They are 3-2 because their defense wasn't good enough to play for 4 quarters. It would be one thing if we had returned that fumble for a TD. But all they had to do was hold us to a FG from a drive that started in our own territory, and they couldn't.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I find this sentiment from Southern fans silly. We dominated the 1st half, they dominated the second half. Came down to who made the plays. Even after the fumble, all they had to do was not give up a 70 yard TD drive. Even after the fumble @NCSU all they had to do was not give up a 99 yard TD drive. They are 3-2 because their defense wasn't good enough to play for 4 quarters. It would be one thing if we had returned that fumble for a TD. But all they had to do was hold us to a FG from a drive that started in our own territory, and they couldn't.

Dude, were you at the game? We got lucky, and without the questionable fumble, GSU goes up by 10. I am a fan of both teams, 50 year fan of Tech, and Georgia Southern looks as talented to me as GT at this point. They have a number of those "difference maker" players.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Dude, were you at the game? We got lucky, and without the questionable fumble, GSU goes up by 10. I am a fan of both teams, 50 year fan of Tech, and Georgia Southern looks as talented to me as GT at this point. They have a number of those "difference maker" players.
NC State and GT game-winning drives were not 'lucky'. They were the drives the better teams make to win the game, something Southern couldn't do to win the game.

Same with the preceding defensive stops better teams made to enable those game-winning drives. Those fumbles do not happen and get recovered in a vacuum. GT and NC State made the plays to get them. Southern had a chance for a defensive stop to win the game, but couldn't.

GT and NC State were the better teams those days. Maybe if the games are repeated, they won't be. But, until then, they are the better teams.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, the GT fumble was lucky, surprised it was overturned. I am as big a GT fan as anyone, but you are delusional if you don't think a little luck was involved.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
GS has talent no doubt about and good coaching. They just may take the national title this year. I hope they do. But IMO cyptomcat is right on with his comments.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
GS has talent no doubt about and good coaching. They just may take the national title this year. I hope they do. But IMO cyptomcat is right on with his comments.
I am very happy with the outcome, but I don't see how that call was overturned, very close, and those are not usually overturned. Thanks for not denigrating Georgia Southern btw :).

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the GT fumble was lucky, surprised it was overturned. I am as big a GT fan as anyone, but you are delusional if you don't think a little luck was involved.
A little luck plays a part in any close game, football or otherwise. But as stated, it took a 70 yard drive to win it. GS could have held. They had most of the 2nd half. GS is a good football team. Luck could also have been Upshaw being used by GS during that drive. Never have understood why the change by CWF. But give our guys credit they sucked it up and pulled out a win.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes GT got lucky at the end of the GSU game with the fumble.

That being said, if we played GSU 10 more times we roll them all 10 times. I truly believe that the second half of that game was an aberration and the first half is a better indication of where the two are at.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes GT got lucky at the end of the GSU game with the fumble.

That being said, if we played GSU 10 more times we roll them all 10 times. I truly believe that the second half of that game was an aberration and the first half is a better indication of where the two are at.
I would go with 7 out of 10, maybe 6 if home and home.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
...but you are delusional if you don't think a little luck was involved.
NO...you are delusional if you think luck is never involved. I doubt there has ever been a football game played where luck wasn't involvement much more than just a little. That is one reason why you can't 100% predict a game's outcome based on talent, past play, coaching, etc.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
NO...you are delusional if you think luck is never involved. I doubt there has ever been a football game played where luck wasn't involvement much more than just a little. That is one reason why you can't 100% predict a game's outcome based on talent, past play, coaching, etc.
There ya go again, YELLIN! We should meet for a beer and discuss our views on this game, probably would be way different, and I am not kidding.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It is good for GT that GSU is playing at a high level. That is the whole point in the original post. No need to be arrogant or denigrating. I guarantee Paul Johnson has a different opinion of Georgia Southern.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
And, I enjoy following GSU also. Son is there now, daughter graduated from there in 2013, aunt lived/worked there for years and played golf/tennis with Erk and his son. I just don't believe you can isolate the outcome of the game on that one call even though it was a major factor. Fans always seem to remember the last good or bad thing from a game and not things from earlier on like how well we fared in first half vs second.