Some ugly kicking numbers I just pulled elsewhere.

gt2kmd

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think anyone has said that is is impossible. It is uncommon. Bosher does both. How many other NFL teams have a normal punter/kicker? None, so that is 1 out of 32, which makes it uncommon. You listed two years out of the last 22 at GT where the punter kicked. That is 1 out of 11 which makes it also uncommon.

Have you been in meetings where the issue was discussed among the coaches? Have you been in meetings where the issue was discussed with Harvin? Have you been in meetings where King's kickoffs and injury were discussed between the coaches and King? Do you know how much of the King's kick off issues this year were related to his injury? I have said it many times related to other issues, but it amazes me how many fans believe that with extremely limited information they know more about the players, the team, and football than professional coaches who have constant contact with the players.

I never said Harvin should be the kick off guy. I'm just amazed at the folks saying he shouldn't even be given a shot. Like somehow people can't learn 2 completely different things. I have to believe that CPJ would/has considered it since he had a punter at Tech already do both.

As far as the difference in uncommon and never, it is a big difference. There are people on here that are saying it should never be done because of the risk of our punter forgetting how to punt. Clearly there are people who can punt and kick off. That was my point. Harvin had several kickoffs in high school, which he no doubt practiced first. It didn't mess up his punting then. The guy was one of the best in the country then, too.

gt2kmd

Georgia Tech Fan
... Sounds to me like a lot of folks assume the timing, the steps and technique for place kicking and punting are identical and nothing could be farther from the truth...

That's exactly what I'm saying. They are so different, the punter is not going to forget how to punt.

But I'm going to watch it play out. King was known for a pretty big leg in high school and I look forward to seeing him healthy.

Bottom line: if somebody can't consistently put it in the end zone, GT will suffer. I'm willing to try all scenarios to make it happen.

slugboy

Staff member
I know this is crazy, but after his injury the Jackets would have averaged better defensive starting position by intentionally kicking off out of bounds around the 20 yard line and giving the 35 yard line as the starting point. Most kicks were as low as they were short after the injury which increased the potential for bad things to happen, which they did more often than desired.

The option for the receiving team is to:
1. Take the ball where it went out if an onsides kick
2. Take the ball 30 yards from the kickoff location (usually the 35)
3. Back the kicker up 5 yards for a rekick

If the kicking team is so bad to kick out of bounds on purpose, the receiving team would be crazy to take the ball at the 35.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I know this is crazy, but after his injury the Jackets would have averaged better defensive starting position by intentionally kicking off out of bounds around the 20 yard line and giving the 35 yard line as the starting point. Most kicks were as low as they were short after the injury which increased the potential for bad things to happen, which they did more often than desired.

On another note . . . if you see someone wearing something gold and white with a GT logo on it, you can assume he went to Tech. If you see someone wearing something red and black with a UGAG logo on it, you can assume he went to Walmart. Happy new year and boomer sooner!
Onside kick every time. With our effectiveness on kickoffs and defense, it probably would've made sense.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The Butker KOs saved our STs KO team from looking bad like this yr.It covered up the weak LB recruiting (that is the heart of coverage teams, I believe).

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Lot of thought in all the above post- I love the golf analogy- We lost a punter that was a great holder after 2016, anyone wonder why our punter isn’t holding? (It’s a skill), he can’t do it. Kicking, the same, it is s skill , he can’t do it! As far as kicking in high school- use the golf analogy , I can’t golf, but, if I T up every iron shot two inches above the ground I will impress you.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'll say it again, since the angst in this thread seems pretty high, but I am pretty sure we'll be pleasantly surprised with how improved our kicking game is next year. (At least, from the placekicker standpoint, as I'm still not certain we will get our coverage issues completely fixed.) It's not like GT didn't recruit a scholarship kicker to replace Butker last year, he just got injured before the season, and never completely healed. I'm fairly certain, barring injury, you're going to see a much improved kicking game next year.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
One of my favorite punters in GT history was Rodney Williams. He handled the kickoffs during his final year. What? But he was a top punter in the country and played in the NFL. He should not have been allowed to kickoff.

If you may recall, there was a punting situation with a bad snap (against Duke, maybe?). Rodney picked up the ball and seemed undecided what to do...attempted a pass resulting in a turnover. O'Leary, in typical blunt fashion, blamed Rodney for being distracted by kicking off and he never kicked off again.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They are NOT going to screw up Harvin by having him kickoff. The mechanics of the two action are very different and why chance messing up your AA punter for a short term fix.
Then how does the guy for the Falcons make a living doing it?
Edit: I should have read the whole thread before responding.

Last edited:

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Say what you want about our struggles on O or D. Our kicking game (not punting) was our biggest downfall by far this year.

I'd give up 2 schollies to bring in another Buttkicker.
I would also, say what you want ,but a good kicking game will win some games. I do believe that johnson is our kicking coach. He appointed himself that about 2 years ago.