Some ugly kicking numbers I just pulled elsewhere.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Harrison Butker hit touchbacks as a freshman at a 41% clip.

For comparison, this year Davis was at 29%,and King was 4% (that's not a typo)

Davis is a Sophomore. As a sophomore, Butker hit touchbacks at a 59% clip.

Davis is bad, and King was an unmitigated disaster.

GT finished 124th in the country (out of 130) in touchback % (and it's not like they weren't trying)

GT finished 121st in the country in field goals made

It can EASILY be argued that GT has the worst kickers in the country.

yelch.gif

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Awesome job replying to your own thread. King was battling a groin injury. I suspect that is a pretty significant injury for a kicker. I've watched a lot of college football this year, and kicking is very spotty all around. Hopefully King and/or Davis will get better. If not, they'll be replaced. Butker improved every year and is now killing it in the NFL.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Awesome job replying to your own thread. King was battling a groin injury. I suspect that is a pretty significant injury for a kicker. I've watched a lot of college football this year, and kicking is very spotty all around. Hopefully King and/or Davis will get better. If not, they'll be replaced. Butker improved every year and is now killing it in the NFL.
Wait, I thought only factory kids made the MFL?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

GT finished 124th in the country (out of 130) in touchback % (and it's not like they weren't trying)

yelch.gif
There you have it. We finished No. 1.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck

yelch.gif
Field Goals made isn't a terribly useful metric though. Maybe conversion percentage, but not total made.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Field Goals made isn't a terribly useful metric though. Maybe conversion percentage, but not total made.
Agreed to a large extent, although indirectly I think you can say that lower field goals made indicates less willingness to attempt, which can speak to a coach's confidence in his kicker.

So, there's SOME value there, but I agree it's an imperfect stat.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
To make things even worse, we were ranked 118th in the country in average yards given up per kickoff return. So we were one of the worst teams in the country in touchbacks, and when they did return it we were one of the worst teams in the country in coverage.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Agreed to a large extent, although indirectly I think you can say that lower field goals made indicates less willingness to attempt, which can speak to a coach's confidence in his kicker.

So, there's SOME value there, but I agree it's an imperfect stat.
Well, there is that. But also the reluctance to give up on the idea of six points and so the going for it on fourth down and such.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't know who gave up the 92-yard kickoff return for UVA, but I would put that one in the "unmitigated disaster" category.

And we saw that CPJ was unwilling to go for traditional "chip shot" or medium range field goals this year. I don't think he had much faith in the FG unit--blocking or kicking,

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't know who gave up the 92-yard kickoff return for UVA, but I would put that one in the "unmitigated disaster" category.

And we saw that CPJ was unwilling to go for traditional "chip shot" or medium range field goals this year. I don't think he had much faith in the FG unit--blocking or kicking,
It didn't seem to be a good year for FG kickers in general. For instance, Clemson was so desperate they held campus tryouts, and got a pretty good kicker. Who then got hurt and they were back to square one with a 3-deep guy trying them. I guess it could make a difference against Alabama, but I'm not sure what the injury status is. But I read no rousing reviews of any kicker from anywhere.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
It didn't seem to be a good year for FG kickers in general. For instance, Clemson was so desperate they held campus tryouts, and got a pretty good kicker. Who then got hurt and they were back to square one with a 3-deep guy trying them. I guess it could make a difference against Alabama, but I'm not sure what the injury status is. But I read no rousing reviews of any kicker from anywhere.
There weren't many Butkickers around, but everyone else's poor kicking game doesn't excuse being ranked #124 in touchbacks, #121 in FG, and #118 in return yards. We were abysmal and it cost us some games. We probably would have faired better by just kicking it out of bounds.