some good news about Sims from his parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow

This belongs in the UNC media thread but Sims is no longer taking part in team activities. He is rehabing his foot and we won't see him the rest of the year.

The way Key stated it makes me basically think he is transferring, but that is speculation on my part

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. I don't get what's so hard about this concept.

Also, the people spreading these rumors aren't just disparaging the kid, they're disparaging the staff by implying they're putting up with it. I challenge anyone who knows Key to imagine a scenario where the rumors are true and he's still letting the kid stay on the team much less into the offensive huddle and give advice to the other QBs. Doesn't match the guy's personality at all.
The staff, Key in particular, is the cause of this issue. He could have plainly said, Jeff was hurt and could not go in. End of conversation if he said that.

Secondly, the staff let him dress. If this was some NIL BS, fine, trot him out there for 5 mins to get his check then back to locker room for street clothes.

Third, in the Depth Chart he was listed as Starting QB. Not only was he not the Starting QB, he wasn’t even available. Again, this is on the staff.

All I know is what I’ve seen, read in official communications and heard. I saw Sims throw his helmet down at UVA game when he didn’t go back in. My eyes tell me he wanted to go back out. We’ve seen Sims listed as the Starter. Makes you think he can play at a minimum. When he doesn’t start, he either can’t play or is not really the starter anymore. We then have the game where Pyron is hurt. Sims does not go in. There’s no way he’s a poorer option than Gibson. He either quit or could not play. Key made it seem like it was quit. He should retract that if it was erroneous AND apologize. Sims’ Mom said he was hurt. Now his Dad said he was hurt.

Everything seems to point towards Sims is hurt except Key’s comments and some random fan chatter about a conversation Sims’ Dad may have had with him at the game.

I say he’s hurt and not a quitter. I say Key needs to be flogged over this. Poor leadership in this case.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
i really don’t want to see comments from certain users about how trash fanbases like auburn, bama, etc are. calling a kid a quitter like that, and some of the absolutely out of control comments i have seen on our facebook group is genuinely embarrassing.

that **** gets back to the players and if people ever needed a reminder then here it is. not only that but the rumors circulating him transferring and stuff were universally followed with nasty comments calling him a quitter saying he sucked etc.

by and large i think this whole thing is a product of people that have been wanting to run sims off for a while and they saw an opportunity and jumped on it. grown men saying **** like that about a kid that can’t even legally drink lol
Might be the only thing you and I agree on 👍

JacketFan137

Banned
The staff, Key in particular, is the cause of this issue. He could have plainly said, Jeff was hurt and could not go in. End of conversation if he said that.

Secondly, the staff let him dress. If this was some NIL BS, fine, trot him out there for 5 mins to get his check then back to locker room for street clothes.

Third, in the Depth Chart he was listed as Starting QB. Not only was he not the Starting QB, he wasn’t even available. Again, this is on the staff.

All I know is what I’ve seen, read in official communications and heard. I saw Sims throw his helmet down at UVA game when he didn’t go back in. My eyes tell me he wanted to go back out. We’ve seen Sims listed as the Starter. Makes you think he can play at a minimum. When he doesn’t start, he either can’t play or is not really the starter anymore. We then have the game where Pyron is hurt. Sims does not go in. There’s no way he’s a poorer option than Gibson. He either quit or could not play. Key made it seem like it was quit. He should retract that if it was erroneous AND apologize. Sims’ Mom said he was hurt. Now his Dad said he was hurt.

Everything seems to point towards Sims is hurt except Key’s comments and some random fan chatter about a conversation Sims’ Dad may have had with him at the game.

I say he’s hurt and not a quitter. I say Key needs to be flogged over this. Poor leadership in this case.
for all of collins gaffs he at least never created drama like this lol

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
This just means we have Gibson and Pumachan (phonic spelling) as our QBs. 100-0 might not be the worst ending to a season. But if Gibson can release the ball and our receivers can catch when the ball hits their hands, it should not be that bad. But like I said in Miami postgame, look for some wildcat plays the next 2 weeks. Survivial mode now on offense. Defense, just has to play like their hair is on fire.
If Sims does transfer, best wishes. Never lived up to our expectations (does any player?) and was often hurt. Looks like Pyron is in the drivers seat as QB 1 going into the spring, depending of course on the portal gains.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It seems like there are gaps between all the various versions of the stories and the internet blood hounds are trying to fill the gaps with wild speculation.

One thing is certain, we should not using that speculation to question the effort/desire of a student athlete like Sims who obviously cares about the team and his teammates.

JacketFan137

Banned
He would not "leave the team indefinitely" with 2 games left if he was planning to be here next year. The dude is soft...we will be better off without him
well considering our qbs in spring are gonna be zach gibson and taisun, saying we are better off without sims is just absolutely incorrect by any measure

have some class

Reactions: CEB

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims was a coach killer. Give us Chadwell and bring in McCall to give us a transition to Pyron in 2024. The future looks bright in that scenario.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
The way Kelly and Key worded it, he’s definitely gone. You can do intensive rehab, attend practice, and participate in meetings during a regular week. It’s not an either/or situation. The fact that all he is doing is rehab leads me to think the Jeff Sims era is over barring a new coach who pushes hard for Sims to stay… and that’s unfortunate. He has a lot of game/practice reps that will end up benefiting a better run program.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The way Kelly and Key worded it, he’s definitely gone. You can do intensive rehab, attend practice, and participate in meetings during a regular week. It’s not an either/or situation. The fact that all he is doing is rehab leads me to think the Jeff Sims era is over barring a new coach who pushes hard for Sims to stay… and that’s unfortunate. He has a lot of game/practice reps that will end up benefiting a better run program.
I doubt he liked being called a quitter by people with less than half the story.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The other side of that is if Jeff Sims and his family didn't give permission to release specific medical details, Key wouldn't have been allowed to elaborate. Key isn't the most eloquent speaker, so his "I'll leave it at that" could have just been his way to tell the press "I can't get specific Jeff's injury".

I think we'll all know the truth eventually. At this moment, just my personal opinion, it's always best to err on the side of NOT denigrating a player.
I honestly did not know that was a thing.

MY interpretation of that presser was influenced by previous comments that Sims was going out of bounds instead of fighting for needed yardage.

If permission is required - and not received - then that shines a different light on BK's remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.