So who leaves? Attrition.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sir, this has been going since the beginning of time. The fact that you believe a competitor would want to remain somewhere he’s not contributing is naive on your part

Then every junior and senior not on the depth chart should be transferring every year.

And that still isn’t the same as having a scholly yanked.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
And that has been the case with us quite a bit due to academic advisor directing Academic course pathway. Most guys are graduating in 3-3.5 yrs and leaving with eligibility

Funny how the coach leaving abruptly w 2 years on 3 year extension is never acknowledged.

They are clueless

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Did CPJ retirement announcement seem to indicate he was forced out?

Funny how the coach leaving abruptly w 2 years on 3 year extension is never acknowledged.

They are clueless

It no longer surprises me when anything remotely negative about the current staff ushers forward CPJ references from some of y’all.

Wth does CPJ have to do with any of this?

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
It no longer surprises me when anything remotely negative about the current staff ushers forward CPJ references from some of y’all.

He's basically referencing that just because people leave and the press indicates that it was a mutual decision, doesn't mean that it was the case. He uses CPJ as an example. That's why he mentioned CPJ.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

I’m giving you an example of optics that things are not always what they appear to be.

What exactly do you guys want?

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't foresee CGC processing kids (forcing them off the team or to change their status to make room for potentially more productive players), but I do see frank discussions where a kid may be told that the coaching staff does not see a scenario where the kid moves off the practice squad.

This is a troubling thread because we don't have all the facts and it's a big issue for current players. There have been some frank discussions, but I'm not sure the above quote is entirely correct, as I personally do believe some kids are being "forced off the team". We all can argue whether it is right or wrong, but I hope we keep the specific SAs out of this conversation. Some of them are really hurting right now!

It is my understanding that CGC has conducted spring exit interviews, and up to 5 or 6 (could go higher) have been given the following options:

1) Stay on the GT football team, but as a walk-on with no scholarship.
2) Stay at Georgia Tech and GT will honor the scholarship through graduation, but you can't play football. (Maybe this doesn't count against football scholarships??)
3) The coaches will use their connections to help the SA find another opportunity and support their transfer to another school.

That's a tough conversation for these kids to have.

wc

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is a troubling thread because we don't have all the facts and it's a big issue for current players. There have been some frank discussions, but I'm not sure the above quote is entirely correct, as I personally do believe some kids are being "forced off the team". We all can argue whether it is right or wrong, but I hope we keep the specific SAs out of this conversation. Some of them are really hurting right now!

It is my understanding that CGC has conducted spring exit interviews, and up to 5 or 6 (could go higher) have been given the following options:

1) Stay on the GT football team, but as a walk-on with no scholarship.
2) Stay at Georgia Tech and GT will honor the scholarship through graduation, but you can't play football. (Maybe this doesn't count against football scholarships??)
3) The coaches will use their connections to help the SA find another opportunity and support their transfer to another school.

That's a tough conversation for these kids to have.

wc

Sound very familiar to what I’ve said and so have others.

1) if you’re an in-state kid on pell could work, but highly unlikely option for most.

2) placed on Medical

3) help you get in another. As alludes too. KSU and Wofford wasn’t just at practice for the juice

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Now that is spin. How about this.....

“I know I won’t play much if any coach. But I want to be a part of this team and I really want to obtain my Tech degree and “get out.”

“Sorry kid. Your scholarship is needed for another player I signed who can actually help this team win games. Good luck kid bit your scholarship will not be renewed.”

Your analogy I’m okay with and almost all here are also. My analogy I’m not okay with.
So grant in aid agreements are all one year deals, correct?

So let me preface this by stating that I’m not talking about any specific individual, but just a general SA.

It sucks for the athlete, but I honestly just don’t get the argument. If a regular student gets a scholarship to attend college they have standards they must uphold to retain their scholarship. The simplest example is the Hope. Drop below a B average and it’s stripped away. They don’t kick you out of school...they just don’t pay for it anymore.

Grad program do this sort of thing with TAs as well. If they don’t uphold their end of the bargain the school doesn’t pay for the grad degree.

The way I see it the football programs are doing the same thing. I’m certain you could remain as a walk on if they took away your scholarship, but kids probably don’t want to or can’t afford to do that. Same thing happens on the academic side all the time.

This sounds really harsh, but it’s reality and it extends well beyond college football. You think an employer is just going to keep you around because you show up every day and work hard, but produce sub-par results? It just doesn’t work that way...and the sooner kids realize this the better off they’ll be in the long run.

Grant in aid agreements are generally one year deals. So I don’t have a problem with the school deciding to go another direction.

Now if this becomes normal then I think athletes must be allowed to transfer anywhere they want free of penalty as well. It can’t be a one sided agreement. I’ve typically been on the other side of this point, but if schools are going to go the route above it needs to be fair for both sides.

Btw, there’s never much of an uproar when they take scholarships away from softball, volleyball, track, or swimming athletes because they aren’t producing. I guess it only needs to be fair for football.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
And that has been the case with us quite a bit due to academic advisor directing Academic course pathway. Most guys are graduating in 3-3.5 yrs and leaving with eligibility

I was happy to get out in 4.5 yrs...without playing football! Makes me feel like a schmuck. :)

Deleted member 2897

Did you have an army of tutors and academic advisors holding your hand and paving the way for you?

This may be one of the more insulting posts I’ve read in awhile. Football players probably spend 50 hours a week studying tape, hitting the weights, going to team meetings, and practicing. The notion that someone all but takes their tests for them is a rotten thought.
giphy.gif

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
So grant in aid agreements are all one year deals, correct?

So let me preface this by stating that I’m not talking about any specific individual, but just a general SA.

It sucks for the athlete, but I honestly just don’t get the argument. If a regular student gets a scholarship to attend college they have standards they must uphold to retain their scholarship. The simplest example is the Hope. Drop below a B average and it’s stripped away. They don’t kick you out of school...they just don’t pay for it anymore.

Grad program do this sort of thing with TAs as well. If they don’t uphold their end of the bargain the school doesn’t pay for the grad degree.

The way I see it the football programs are doing the same thing. I’m certain you could remain as a walk on if they took away your scholarship, but kids probably don’t want to or can’t afford to do that. Same thing happens on the academic side all the time.

This sounds really harsh, but it’s reality and it extends well beyond college football. You think an employer is just going to keep you around because you show up every day and work hard, but produce sub-par results? It just doesn’t work that way...and the sooner kids realize this the better off they’ll be in the long run.

Grant in aid agreements are generally one year deals. So I don’t have a problem with the school deciding to go another direction.

Now if this becomes normal then I think athletes must be allowed to transfer anywhere they want free of penalty as well. It can’t be a one sided agreement. I’ve typically been on the other side of this point, but if schools are going to go the route above it needs to be fair for both sides.

Btw, there’s never much of an uproar when they take scholarships away from softball, volleyball, track, or swimming athletes because they aren’t producing. I guess it only needs to be fair for football.
I read around these parts recently that they are no longer one year deals. I was surprised reading that so I did some searching. I came across an article that backs up the claim that they are deals for as long as the kid wants to stay around barring personal conduct issues.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I don't think it is officially written down anywhere, but apparently GT fans don't drop a coach from daily conversation until he is our twice removed coach. Ever notice how Chan's name isn't being tossed around anymore? Apparently Paul will be with us daily until someone replaces Coach Collins. Goodbye Chan Gailey, you have finally earned your place of rest amongst the GT faithful.