So who knows anything about BC

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Great road win. BC couldn’t do anything against our defense. On offense, we got tons of good looks inside. Also, it was nice that we really spread the scoring around, getting points from lots of different guys. Jose scored less than the last 2 games, but had a great game delivering the ball. I think he has 20+ assists in the last 3 games. We still played too fast and loose (sloppy) with the ball with too many bad or unforced turnovers, but luckily BC wasn’t able to make us pay.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Jose’s PG skills have been FANTASTIC!

Where are those guys who said having him back didn’t matter. This is a brand new team!

Anywho. I still think we are at least a 5th seed this year. Nice to see usher starting to get into a grove. I think we just need him to be an energy guy. When he starts trying to be a playmaker that’s when we get into trouble. Good game by banks but he has to stop putting the ball on ground when he’s 6ft from the basket. Ok game by devoe. And a helluva game by Wright. We gotta handle business on Wednesday against Notre Dame!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Usher missed one shot all night. 5-6 on field goals, and 3-3 on free throws. If Usher gets going, man, GT will be REALLY hard to match up against. Great night by Usher. (EDIT: Usher actually missed 2 shots...5-7 FGs)

Alvarado with an 8-1 assist to TO ratio tonight. "Only" nine points, but I'll take a 9 point, 8 assists, 1 TO night from Alvarado any time.

Really balanced night from all 5 starters. Like I said, if Usher gets going, that bodes really well for us going forward. Considering Devoe is in a bit of slump the last few games, it's going to close to impossible to defend us if Devoe gets back to his scoring ways and Usher continues to produce like tonight.

Really fun run by our guys the last few games. ND up next...and can't wait.

Last edited:

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Jose’s PG skills have been FANTASTIC!

Where are those guys who said having him back didn’t matter. This is a brand new team!

Anywho. I still think we are at least a 5th seed this year. Nice to see usher starting to get into a grove. I think we just need him to be an energy guy. When he starts trying to be a playmaker that’s when we get into trouble. Good game by banks but he has to stop putting the ball on ground when he’s 6ft from the basket. Ok game by devoe. And a helluva game by Wright. We gotta handle business on Wednesday against Notre Dame!

A 5th seed in the ACC tournament I'm assuming? Which may be a 8, 9, play-in game seed in the NCAA tournament?

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The Young Gun called it!!!!
Yes even a blind squirrel.. From a talent standpoint, this is a tourney team and with the conference down, I do expect us to be dancing (NCAA willing). Only complaint tonight, and its small, is the bench could have played more, but other than that very impressive win.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well, I was stupid and got my days mixed up and missed the game but looks like we had a nice easy game. Close game for about 10 minutes and then just steadily built a lead the rest of the way. Love that all 5 starters scored 9 or more, we out rebounded them, shot okay from the FT line. Moses with his 7 straight double figure scoring game and 6th double double on the year. Banks had an efficient 13 points and 4 blocks. Usher 5-7 from the line and chipping in 6 rebounds was nice to see because his rb numbers were lower than I expected. Jose and Mike didn't shoot particularly well but I'll take 9 points, 5 rebounds, and 8 assists to 1 TO from Jose every day. Looks like Cole made a bit of an impact in just 9 minutes (4 points and 3 rebs). Only real potential problem I can see from the box score is that this seems like the kind of game we could have gotten more rest for some guys. Nobody played over 33 minutes which was nice but I was surprised that Moore didn't get a little more time considering the comfortable lead.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
First it was really neat to see GT simply outclass another ACC team. Don't care who it was. We had more talent at almost every position than they did. That is a lot of fun to watch.

Here is my Debbie Downer comment - I was counting passes per possession and the majority of our possessions had one or two passes - no more. One pick for Jose and a dump off to the big or maybe one pass to the wing before they drove and dumped off or shot in the paint. I don't see an offensive scheme that has one or two passes per possession as viable over the course of an ACC season. When you outclass an opponent - sure - but not when you are remotely close in talent or slightly lower. In particular, if you want DeVoe to be a significant part of the offense with 3's then you have to have multiple passes and ball movement to get him set up on the back side of the offense. He isn't creating his own shot or getting many 3's off of 1 pass.

We looked good today and it was fun to see us outclass someone for a change. Worried going forward.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good win for sure!

If Usher stays "under control" he is damn good.

If we can get Devoe out of the shooting slump we could win 9-11 ACC games, this season no less... [emoji4]

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Here is my Debbie Downer comment - I was counting passes per possession and the majority of our possessions had one or two passes - no more. One pick for Jose and a dump off to the big or maybe one pass to the wing before they drove and dumped off or shot in the paint. I don't see an offensive scheme that has one or two passes per possession as viable over the course of an ACC season. When you outclass an opponent - sure - but not when you are remotely close in talent or slightly lower. In particular, if you want DeVoe to be a significant part of the offense with 3's then you have to have multiple passes and ball movement to get him set up on the back side of the offense. He isn't creating his own shot or getting many 3's off of 1 pass.

That sounds like what we did against Duke to a pretty good effect. They are the most talented team we'll face this year. Also, I'll take a dump off to Moses in the pain every time, and considering we shot 50% from the floor why go away from it? Passing just to pass isn't good offense, and if you can get a good look off 1 or 2 passes, you should do that. Also most possessions that go 7/8/9 passes feature a lot of passes that don't really do anything, or feature a rest after a series of passes anyways. Usually a play will be made after 1 or 2 passes, and after that it's more likely further passing is to reset than it is to directly get a better shot. Furthermore, many offense run motion, including passing that doesn't accomplish much, to try and get a match up advantage. Once they get that advantage they try to exploit it in 1 or 2 passes. But with Jose and Mike we will probably not often need to run action to get much of an advantage. Jose is probably better than any PG we will see the rest of the way and few teams probably have two guards that they can put on both Jose and Mike to make it real advantageous to run a lot of action to get a switch. The obvious team for that was Duke with Jones and Goldwire, which they tried, and even then we were pretty effective with doing what we did. Looking forward I really only see UVA as a team that we might want to do that against, and Cuse against the zone will force us to attack differently anyways.

But when we go Jose/Devoe/Parham/Wright/Banks parking Devoe and Bubba on the wings, and running the double screen and slip action with Wright and Banks like we did against Duke is a good simple set that isn't real easy to defend. It wouldn't surprise me to see teams incorporate more zone against us and if that happens you'll probably see more passing, but even then whether it is actually useful passing is the question.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A couple of thoughts: We played really well on defense last night and had a good offensive game plan. Why do we have so much trouble making 2-foot shots? Why does banks shoot a finesse shot over a player 3-4 inches shorter than him? Dunk the damn ball!

When Usher and Wright play like they did last night we are a good team. Remember, the go to guys are supposed to be Devoe, Jose, and Banks. When we have all five starters as legitimate ACC threats to score, we have a really nice team.

Parham and Cole are giving us some good minutes off the bench. Parham may be the best rebounding guard in the ACC. He knows where to be.

This was an important win and makes me think it is possible for us to make the NCAA Tournament. Possible. Not easy. I predict the ACC could get as few as five teams in the tournament (six, at most), so we need to win all our games that are not against the top 4 and steal a game or two from that group. Virginia looks very vulnerable and so does Louisville. This could be fun.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of thoughts: We played really well on defense last night and had a good offensive game plan. Why do we have so much trouble making 2-foot shots? Why does banks shoot a finesse shot over a player 3-4 inches shorter than him? Dunk the damn ball!

When Usher and Wright play like they did last night we are a good team. Remember, the go to guys are supposed to be Devoe, Jose, and Banks. When we have all five starters as legitimate ACC threats to score, we have a really nice team.

Parham and Cole are giving us some good minutes off the bench. Parham may be the best rebounding guard in the ACC. He knows where to be.

This was an important win and makes me think it is possible for us to make the NCAA Tournament. Possible. Not easy. I predict the ACC could get as few as five teams in the tournament (six, at most), so we need to win all our games that are not against the top 4 and steal a game or two from that group. Virginia looks very vulnerable and so does Louisville. This could be fun.

Worth noting banks had back spasms last night