So one assistant position still available….

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
With the new hires, CGC's buyout was raised 1.2M for next year. I think he gets two years. Everything being mentioned about his buyout this year and with giving 2 year contracts to the assistants (and potentially another 2 year contract to another one), I'm not seeing how he isn't around another 2 years. I can see a TE/special teams coordinator as the last hire. Part of this is due to how Long utilizes the TEs in the offense.
Can you explain to me, how his buyout got raised?

Edited to say, I was typing while @slugboy was posting. Didn’t see his post when I hit send.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Where did you see this? I haven’t seen any reports of a change to his contract, I looked for one, and I’d be shocked if it was raised—there’s no reason to do it.
Not in his contract but Tech added on guaranteed payroll from these new assistants 850k and 400k. Tech would need to pay that out as well.

I should of said they essentially raised CGC's buyout.

slugboy

Staff member
Not in his contract but Tech added on guaranteed payroll from these new assistants 850k and 400k. Tech would need to pay that out as well.

I should of said they essentially raised CGC's buyout.
Our guaranteed payments are up, but if Collins is fired, Long and Tillman aren't necessarily gone.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we demote CGC to DC and hire a new head coach if next year isn't better. Since we are still paying him to coach then he'd have to quit if he didn't want to do that (and it frees us up from the contract if he quits...)

It basically means we get a DC for free since we'd have to pay CGC anyway (I know, I know...that'll never work. But still...)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I can't see any new coach not wanting to bring in their own OC

Would depend on which direction we went with the next HC hire. Coordinators do get retained sometimes. A coach might be happy to retain Long, but we certainly wouldn't ask them to just to save money.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we demote CGC to DC and hire a new head coach if next year isn't better. Since we are still paying him to coach then he'd have to quit if he didn't want to do that (and it frees us up from the contract if he quits...)

It basically means we get a DC for free since we'd have to pay CGC anyway (I know, I know...that'll never work. But still...)
That would be interesting, if CGC loves Tech as much as he professes to then he should be ok with it. If he fails at DC then Just keep demoting him on down until he’s a water-boy

Oakland

Helluva Engineer

And just let Stansbury be the figure head HC. If he doesn't like it, then he can quit too. Win - Win. :)

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow

I’m sure a legal interpretation of his contract is that we are not paying him to be A coach, we are paying him to be the HEAD coach. Demoting him is firing him from that position, and would trigger the buyout.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Our guaranteed payments are up, but if Collins is fired, Long and Tillman aren't necessarily gone.
Good point. Not sure I've seen many Coordinators held over between regimes. Normally there's some kind of fundamental shift. I can see a position coach being held over but they would be interviewing for the job. I can't see a HC taking a job and being told who he needs to keep. Although, this is Tech and handicapping a coach isn't uncommon.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I seriously doubt Collins would hang around to be a DC after essentially being fired after a de facto failing. Plus, who here would want that?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure a legal interpretation of his contract is that we are not paying him to be A coach, we are paying him to be the HEAD coach. Demoting him is firing him from that position, and would trigger the buyout.
Yeah, I'm sure too. I was just dreaming. I guess we can say "You are the Head Coach. We just hired a Chief Executive Coach who you report to is all." :)

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Matt Rhule is about to get canned at Carolina. Maybe he knows and CGC knows this and just waiting......He was a defensive coach before becoming a qb coach then OC.
AND just signed a minimum 60million dollar contract last year so I'm sure Tech could cover his mortgage here or car payment or something.

Rhule hasn't been a defensive coach since 2006 and was never more then a position coach on that side of the ball. Hiring him as DC would be absolutely insane.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Rhule hasn't been a defensive coach since 2006 and was never more then a position coach on that side of the ball. Hiring him as DC would be absolutely insane.
Plus he was a successful college coach, he will have his choice of various HC jobs waiting for him if he decides to come back to cfb

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins can’t manage a game without DC responsibilities. What’s going to happen to that when he is the DC?

Expectation may be that Long will completely handle the offense. Get the ship righted and then hire a DC to take over. What I can see happen, is what you just stated. The in game coaching takes a huge hit and costs Tech a couple of games.