So one assistant position still available….

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Collins can’t manage a game without DC responsibilities. What’s going to happen to that when he is the DC?
Maybe he'll get a position coach to help him out on the sideline. Or, for all we know at this point, Thacker will be back as DC. Who the hell knows?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Who the hell knows?
I was thinking the same thing about everything regarding Tech football. It's like Area 51 down there. Now I understand there are certain things fans should not be privy to, but why not explain our goals and plans to the fans. To have a college football program the very first thing you've absolutely got to have is...fans, the guys that buy tickets and create revenue. Open up, you might be surprised with the support comes with that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking the same thing about everything regarding Tech football. It's like Area 51 down there. Now I understand there are certain things fans should not be privy to, but why not explain our goals and plans to the fans. To have a college football program the very first thing you've absolutely got to have is...fans, the guys that buy tickets and create revenue. Open up, you might be surprised with the support comes with that.
Yeah, I understand a degree of secrecy in some situations, but they're just causing further erosion of the fan base. People want to know what is going on with this defense. TStan cryptically stated there would be "new leadership on both sides of the ball". It's about time to clarify that, unless they're actually looking for a DC right now (which there is zero indication of).

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I still care, certainly the intensity is not quite what it was but that comes back with winning. As we all know CFB is all about winning. I still believe CGC is going to get us there, I from the get go thought this was a long rebuild and would not be pretty getting there. Obviously ugly is at it's highest point right now, lets hope this is the worst of ugly, we shall see.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see how GC can be HC and study film for hours to come up with a game plan. Tells me he will rely on his assistant coaches to come up with the plan and then he can tweak it. If Thacker is doing it, we will get more of the same. Our game adjustments have not been obvious either but I have not watched film to see what we have done. We were trying to run a 3 3 5 without enough size most of the season. It probably threw UNC off on their game plan and got us a win. Howell helped with a couple of fumbles. After that it wasn't nearly as effective. Biggers fits the mold for that alignment in the middle but other guys need to be big guys also. We need a DC with big time experience to give us an alignment that best fits our personnel.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins can’t manage a game without DC responsibilities. What’s going to happen to that when he is the DC?
Game management is a lot easier when the offense and defense are playing well. A lot of the game management mistakes that we’ve had were due to having to burn timeouts to avoid delay of game penalties. If the offense and defense are good to go and get set quickly and correctly, a lot of those game management errors disappear. If Chip Long can get the offense ready to go and Collins can get the defense ready to go, suddenly Collins will look like a much better game manager (assuming the play calling improves as well).

superjacket21

Georgia Tech Fan
Matt Rhule is about to get canned at Carolina. Maybe he knows and CGC knows this and just waiting......He was a defensive coach before becoming a qb coach then OC.
AND just signed a minimum 60million dollar contract last year so I'm sure Tech could cover his mortgage here or car payment or something.
Lmfaooo

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I just don't see how GC can be HC and study film for hours to come up with a game plan. Tells me he will rely on his assistant coaches to come up with the plan and then he can tweak it. If Thacker is doing it, we will get more of the same. Our game adjustments have not been obvious either but I have not watched film to see what we have done. We were trying to run a 3 3 5 without enough size most of the season. It probably threw UNC off on their game plan and got us a win. Howell helped with a couple of fumbles. After that it wasn't nearly as effective. Biggers fits the mold for that alignment in the middle but other guys need to be big guys also. We need a DC with big time experience to give us an alignment that best fits our personnel.
It’s hard to say how much of the defense was managed by Thacker and how much was managed by Collins. I’m going to assume that Thacker was calling the plays most of the time because that’s how it looked to me.

I think you’re right about the 3-3-5. It worked great against Clemson and UNC because they weren’t expecting it and didn’t have much film of us running it. I will still die on the hill that we could have run it more effectively but were dead set on misusing our personnel in it. Domineck, Kennard, and Harris all fit the Attaochu mold. You wouldn’t line him up next to a Nose Tackle, so they shouldn’t be lined up there either.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Game management is a lot easier when the offense and defense are playing well. A lot of the game management mistakes that we’ve had were due to having to burn timeouts to avoid delay of game penalties. If the offense and defense are good to go and get set quickly and correctly, a lot of those game management errors disappear. If Chip Long can get the offense ready to go and Collins can get the defense ready to go, suddenly Collins will look like a much better game manager (assuming the play calling improves as well).
Yeah, as long as nothing goes wrong, he'll be okay.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll go with the latter, if I must choose.
And I agree that it shouldn’t be either/or, but it sounds like we opened the wallet (by GT Athletics standards) for the OC job and probably don’t have the resources to get a new DC who is likely to do a better job next year with our defense than Collins will if he assumes the DC role. I honestly don’t know what happened (specifically, other than bad coaching in general) to make our defense decline like they have, and I’m sure Collins was shocked too. When we first hired CGC, Temple fans warned us that Patenaude would be a dud, but by all accounts Thacker did a good job at Temple. Temple doesn’t get better talent than we do, so there’s no reason that most of the same coaches should have put out a significantly worse defense than they did before. Next season is Collins’ last opportunity to buy himself more time, so I imagine that he feels that if he’s going to go down, he wants to at least take things into his own hands with regards to defense, his specialty. In the event that we win enough games for him to stick around (I’m guessing 6+), he’ll still need to find a long term solution that allows him to take his hand off the wheel on defense. But right now, he doesn’t have the luxury of thinking long term.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
And what is going on with the silence at DC.

Just had a top lb recruit decommit.

I hope we find out the time line of the oc fire and oc hire was done professionally. By that Gt had already done preliminary talks w several BEFORE they canned our OC. At least we did end up with a credible hire w some upside. At my engineering company i would have hired this guy from Tulane after VT game. We would have been looking after the first game.

On defense - (as u know i sit right behind the bench. About mid year i saw collins scream at thacker. That's when the contacts should have started. I would have fired him after ND.
They could have scored 100. Thack had no idea.

So now 2 weeks after end of year we finally hire one db coach. Then "crickets" is stupid.

Why the hell did you have a dc last year ? What was the other db doing. We had a dc and the defense was terrible.
It looks like Zero DC is better than the guy u paid for 3 years?

Hell, we should at least say we are looking for a major upgrade but its going slow.

Its to damn bad they ran old Andy off. He could have been a great sounfing board and probably helped w the defense.