Sidewalk Fans

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Interesting did not know that. Curious is there any real difference between the fan bases of say Michigan State and Michigan or perhaps Ohio State and Michigan? I am totally ignorant of Big 10 football.
Purdue is the GT of the Big10. I've always wanted us to use this cheer:

or this one, suitably altered:

I'd love to see that at a Tech/Ugag basketball game. They know how to do crowd cheers up there.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Purdue is the GT of the Big10. I've always wanted us to use this cheer:

or this one, suitably altered:

I'd love to see that at a Tech/Ugag basketball game. They know how to do crowd cheers up there.

I mean they really do dislike Indiana don't they?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The insistence of the BOR in having a calculus requirement is the one that burns me up. That requirement is in place for no other reason except to ensure that Tech faces a major stumbling block in recruiting.

I agree. Being able to pass calculus at Tech is like being able to bench press 400 lbs. Not many can do it. But, otoh, it's not a skill that is useful or means a lot at the end of the day. Don't recall ever using it after leaving Ma Tech.

Buzzzard

Georgia Tech Fan
I like how people always ask if I went to school at GT when they find out I’m a fan. I always get the “how are u a fan” treatment
Perhaps people are genuinely interested. Most Tech fans who weren't students usually have a very interesting story to share. You'd be amazed how much common ground there is. I'm glad you're a fan and wish there were many more like you.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Being able to pass calculus at Tech is like being able to bench press 400 lbs. Not many can do it. But, otoh, it's not a skill that is useful or means a lot at the end of the day. Don't recall ever using it after leaving Ma Tech.

Yep. That is exactly what my late father said many times. It was, even then in the 1950s a math requirement that had little to do with what many Tech graduates would end up doing in their careers. My dad was a Textile Engineering graduate and never needed to use calculus but used chemistry and industrial management courses many times as a textile factory manager and later as a engineering troubleshooter for building products. I am sure that there are Tech students/graduates that have great need of that class but many do not. Anything involving the BOR should be viewed with suspicion as to their motives. It is never good for Tech.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Until recently, I wasn’t familiar with the term “sidewalk fan” and I really don’t care for the term. It is, in my opinion, an unnecessary descriptor. Either a person is a fan of a team or they aren’t.

As a bit of a twist on this issue, I am a GT grad but I feel more like a sidewalk fan. I was part of the now defunct GTREP program. Students in this program would “attend” classes in Atlanta over a satellite feed two days per week and the other days students would go to class at the GT campus in Savannah. Now I live in the Atlanta area and I’m a season ticket holder in football and attend basketball games whenever I can...things I was unable to do as a student. The sad thing is that I feel like I don’t have an identity at GT because of this program I went through. Furthermore, I’ve found it difficult to integrate into the football crowd on game day. I bring this up because this is likely how a “sidewalk fan” feels when coming to campus. Things feel a little cliquey to me so maybe saying hello to a stranger on game day is a good idea. I went to the ND game when we played them in 2015 and a guy walked up to me and said, “Welcome to our campus.” Very classy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sidewalk fan for 47 years. My dad grew up downtown and sold Cokes at Grant Field during the glory years. It has definitely been tough at times but I can't imagine pulling for another team!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I remember how rough it was when Bobby Knight brought the Hoosiers there in the 1980s

You don't say. Surely Purdue fans would welcome a saint like Bobby Knight into their place with open arms. I mean, after all, Bobby Knight was the paragon of virtue, kindliness, all around good fellow that always could be depended upon to display the most courtly of manners, deportment, and good sportsmanship. Amirite?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
You don't say. Surely Purdue fans would welcome a saint like Bobby Knight into their place with open arms. I mean, after all, Bobby Knight was the paragon of virtue, kindliness, all around good fellow that always could be depended upon to display the most courtly of manners, deportment, and good sportsmanship. Amirite?
I sort of liked Bobby;)

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I read an "unauthorized" biography about Bobby. He was a "riddle wrapped in an enigma" to paraphrase Churchill. A walking contradiction. Obsessed with making players go to class and complete their degrees and yet could be abusive and use the most vile language with them. He had the most exacting standards for his team and himself but would bait officials continuously. Coach K is probably the closest modern equivalent but he was unique that's for sure.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I read an "unauthorized" biography about Bobby. He was a "riddle wrapped in an enigma" to paraphrase Churchill. A walking contradiction. Obsessed with making players go to class and complete their degrees and yet could be abusive and use the most vile language with them. He had the most exacting standards for his team and himself but would bait officials continuously. Coach K is probably the closest modern equivalent but he was unique that's for sure.
I remember he once said this about his son "When I look at my son I know why some animals eat their young":LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know how feasible it would be to do this (and maybe we already do?) but one way GT could try to develop the next generation of Tech sidewalk fans would be to contact all the Cub scout, Boy Scout, Brownies, and Girl Scout Troups in the metro area before the season and offer free tickets to games that won’t sellout (like Alcorn, etc.). Boys and Girls Clubs, Metro area schools, etc. give the youth of Atlanta a reason to become Tech fans, and maybe add something special like tours of the school, stadium, meet Coaches and players etc. make them feel like they can be a part of GT too.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know how feasible it would be to do this (and maybe we already do?) but one way GT could try to develop the next generation of Tech sidewalk fans would be to contact all the Cub scout, Boy Scout, Brownies, and Girl Scout Troups in the metro area before the season and offer free tickets to games that won’t sellout (like Alcorn, etc.). Boys and Girls Clubs, Metro area schools, etc. give the youth of Atlanta a reason to become Tech fans, and maybe add something special like tours of the school, stadium, meet Coaches and players etc. make them feel like they can be a part of GT too.
That sounds like what Howard Schellenberger did at Miami from 1979-1983 to drum up local interest in the Hurricanes that was at rock bottom in 1978.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Since Tech only sells season Tickets to 30-35K that leaves around 10-15K (if we leave 5-10K for visiting team) growth. The fastest way is via Sidewalk fans!

I love everything about Georgia Tech, however I am not sure what the answer is in growing the fan base except to say winning B2B2B 9 plus games...