Sidewalk Fans

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Until recently, I wasn’t familiar with the term “sidewalk fan” and I really don’t care for the term. It is, in my opinion, an unnecessary descriptor. Either a person is a fan of a team or they aren’t.

As a bit of a twist on this issue, I am a GT grad but I feel more like a sidewalk fan. I was part of the now defunct GTREP program. Students in this program would “attend” classes in Atlanta over a satellite feed two days per week and the other days students would go to class at the GT campus in Savannah. Now I live in the Atlanta area and I’m a season ticket holder in football and attend basketball games whenever I can...things I was unable to do as a student. The sad thing is that I feel like I don’t have an identity at GT because of this program I went through. Furthermore, I’ve found it difficult to integrate into the football crowd on game day. I bring this up because this is likely how a “sidewalk fan” feels when coming to campus. Things feel a little cliquey to me so maybe saying hello to a stranger on game day is a good idea. I went to the ND game when we played them in 2015 and a guy walked up to me and said, “Welcome to our campus.” Very classy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Tailgating is always a good way to meet likeminded people. The smell of barbecue, a good game of corn hole, a few hearty " To Hell With Georgia" shouts are sure to draw others your way. But to prime that pump, contact the AA to locate a local chapter and get involved. Someone in that chapter will be going to the game and would like to see you there...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't like the term either. I'm a grad but, like OP said, you're either a fan or not.

Only time I ever think about it is in relation to uGA fans and I do so in a negative light because they seem to tie their identity and happiness to how the team does. Well, to how the football team does. All them other sports don't matter to them.

When I encounter a Tech fan, I don't ever distinguish between fan/grad-fan or whatever. ETA: And I have an issue with people who do try to distinguish. As if it matters at all.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There is nothing derogatory about the term sidewalk fan. And I do think it serves a purpose. For example, most Mutt fans are sidewalk fans. Or to be more precise, most of the obnoxious jerk mutt fans are sidewalk fans.

Another way it is useful, is when referencing the fact that we need more sidewalk fans. We have a small enrollment compared to most universities. Therefore, our Fanbase is small. The best way to increase our Fanbase, is to attract more sidewalk fans.

I do agree, however, that GT fans can be cliquish. I think it’s just the nature of people in general. I wouldn’t feel comfortable waltzing up to a tailgate with a bunch of people I didn’t know and try to become their buddy. I don’t think that approach is realistic for most people.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't like the term either. I'm a grad. Interesting though... something I only thought of reading your post. When ever I see a Tech fan (based on what they are wearing... Tech gear), my assumption is they graduated from Tech or are a direct family member of a graduate. I think that says something about how "attractive" I believe Tech's athletic program is to non-graduates. Hmmm. I definitely do not make the same assumption about many other fans I see "out there".

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't use the term personally. Really the only distinction I give between the alum and non-alum fans is when it comes to issues outside of football. Having a non-alum Tech fan make fun of UGA academics or a non-alum UGA fan making fun of the lack of women at Tech is weird to me if you didn't attend the school.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Southern Tech graduate, funny part when I graduated 1979 Southern Tech was listed as a division of Georgia Tech( most people didn't know this fact) .
upload_2018-1-10_12-57-13.png

So I have no idea if that makes me a sidewalk fan or just an old fat guy who has had season tickets since 1981.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-10_12-56-46.png
    upload_2018-1-10_12-56-46.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 27

JACKetsfan

Georgia Tech Fan
Until recently, I wasn’t familiar with the term “sidewalk fan” and I really don’t care for the term. It is, in my opinion, an unnecessary descriptor. Either a person is a fan of a team or they aren’t.

As a bit of a twist on this issue, I am a GT grad but I feel more like a sidewalk fan. I was part of the now defunct GTREP program. Students in this program would “attend” classes in Atlanta over a satellite feed two days per week and the other days students would go to class at the GT campus in Savannah. Now I live in the Atlanta area and I’m a season ticket holder in football and attend basketball games whenever I can...things I was unable to do as a student. The sad thing is that I feel like I don’t have an identity at GT because of this program I went through. Furthermore, I’ve found it difficult to integrate into the football crowd on game day. I bring this up because this is likely how a “sidewalk fan” feels when coming to campus. Things feel a little cliquey to me so maybe saying hello to a stranger on game day is a good idea. I went to the ND game when we played them in 2015 and a guy walked up to me and said, “Welcome to our campus.” Very classy.

Just walk up and say What’s The Good Word? And they’ll always respond To HELL With georgia and introduce yourself. You’ll be surprised how many will gladly share stories and be glad to have you join them while tailgating or walking around! I’ve converted quite a few dawg fans to Tech fans doing just that before the games! Go JACKets!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
There is nothing derogatory about the term sidewalk fan. And I do think it serves a purpose. For example, most Mutt fans are sidewalk fans. Or to be more precise, most of the obnoxious jerk mutt fans are sidewalk fans.

Another way it is useful, is when referencing the fact that we need more sidewalk fans. We have a small enrollment compared to most universities. Therefore, our Fanbase is small. The best way to increase our Fanbase, is to attract more sidewalk fans.

I do agree, however, that GT fans can be cliquish. I think it’s just the nature of people in general. I wouldn’t feel comfortable waltzing up to a tailgate with a bunch of people I didn’t know and try to become their buddy. I don’t think that approach is realistic for most people.

Yes, I see what you’re saying. For you, calling someone a sidewalk fan is like saying someone is a blond or a brunette and I can appreciate that. Sometimes I’ve noticed that it seems to be used, possibly unintended, in a slightly arrogant manner.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Southern Tech graduate, funny part when I graduated 1979 Southern Tech was listed as a division of Georgia Tech( most people didn't know this fact) .
View attachment 3260

So I have no idea if that makes me a sidewalk fan or just an old fat guy who has had season tickets since 1981.

The only thing I learned from your post is that we should be referring to ourselves as "The" Georgia Tech like them obnoxious OhioSt folks do. :D

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 3260

That’s great and thanks for sharing. I do remember hearing that they were related but it’s really neat to see the catalog.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Nothing wrong with sidewalk fans. Need more of them here. However you can pretty easily spot sidewalk fans from thuga, da U, bama, tenn, aub. They are the obnoxious aholes with inferiority complexes. Actual alums or ones with deep family roots are for the most part civil. Choosing to be a gt fan puts you among a classier bunch.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Sidewalk fan here: Never had issue with grad treating me any less, most are very excited to take me on board when I tell them "I never went to Tech".
The response is always "Awesome".

In some way I feel more of a fan as it's was a part of my youth, when you go to games and support team from the time you were 4 years old, after 50 years It may mean more to you then if you just became a fan at age 17/18. Be like having a dad from youth verses a step-dad when you were turn 18.
But the alumni have a unique bond because they have giving so much to get that degree, they are Tech, not just fans.
Being a Marine, I've met people that love the Marine Corps, may have loved it from their youth but never been in, I appreciate what they do, but it a little different then being a Marine. I don't think of them any less.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Life long “sidewalk” fan. Grew up in west ATL before moving to Michigan in 94. Never changed even around all the MSU/UM fans. If anything the Michigan fans reaffirmed my fandom to Tech. They’re the exact same as UGA fans.
Interesting comment .I grew up in Georgia - Barnesville ( Austins, Searcy) and later Atlanta. Tech grad since 73. Moved to Wisconsin almost 30 years ago. I find Badger fans to be passionate about their team, but not obnoxious about it, like UGA.