Should Autry (the frosh) be a WR?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was thinking the other night after watching his film that his greatest attribute is his ability to make sharp cuts and get out of his breaks. It appears he would be very difficult to cover one on one. My sense is that he is faster than anybody else we have at that position now, except possibly Summers. We don't have the best route runners at present. I could see Miles putting enormous pressure on the defense to keep him covered, because without a little safety help, it might be impossible. We have all seen what happens in our run game when safeties aren't cheating in run support. Any thoughts? I know AB provides a lot of opportunities to catch the ball, but typically they aren't starting in space.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It depends on his blocking. Can he be physical enough out in the wings? Myles is a small guy, about 5'9-5'10, and he weighs 170 lbs with his pads on.

Myles as a receiver is more of a threat at AB because of the mismatch he presents in the slot with a LB or S over him. Had Myles not signed with us, he would have been a slot guy pretty much everywhere else. AB is essentially a slot WR, with the flexibility of a RB. Atleast in the slot his quickness poses a threat in space, whereas as a WR, a DB can play him to the sidelines and vertically depending on the DB's leverage.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see him at AB but occasionally sent out for the deep ball or for quick slants.

That would be interesting, but given CPJ's history with not putting guys in "situational" positions, this probably doesn't happen. Of course, we do see the odd Tackle eligible play, or WR pass play.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
That would be interesting, but given CPJ's history with not putting guys in "situational" positions, this probably doesn't happen. Of course, we do see the odd Tackle eligible play, or WR pass play.

Imagine the surprise on the face of the defender assigned to the "pitch man" when the pitch man jets out deep.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see him at AB but occasionally sent out for the deep ball or for quick slants.

I too would like to see him in some quick slants. He would be essential in quick, small yardage situations. Nickle and dime the defense to death.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He'll see the field first as a kick returner. No learning curve whatsoever.

I think so as well. I think he redshirts first though, unless he makes the trek down to GT every day or so and starts working out with his brothers on the team and gets' some good weight on him.

On paper, he's probably the most versatile and dangerous AB we have with the ball in hands, but we all know CPJ ain't putting him out there unless he's willing to put a hat on a defender.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think so as well. I think he redshirts first though, unless he makes the trek down to GT every day or so and starts working out with his brothers on the team and gets' some good weight on him.

On paper, he's probably the most versatile and dangerous AB we have with the ball in hands, but we all know CPJ ain't putting him out there unless he's willing to put a hat on a defender.
I think he'll play special teams as a true frosh regardless of adding weight. He'll see garbage time at Aback, but nothing more unless he does what you said in your last statement.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I can definitely see trying him at WR regardless of his blocking skills if we need a big play to get us back in the game or keep the DBs from cheating up too much. A legit homerun threat is important in this offense.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Autry in my opinion would get jammed up too easily. ACC and SEC corners would be too physical for him unless he really improves his strength. I think he would be a better receiver coming out of the back field as an Aback.

However, certain packages might be nice to have him on the outside. I wouldn't think he would do well just being 1 of the 2 WR's on the field.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
His brother was just starting to blossom when he got hurt, and he was a WR. If he comes back fully recovered, without any loss of speed, he would really help us out there.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Autry in my opinion would get jammed up too easily. ACC and SEC corners would be too physical for him unless he really improves his strength. I think he would be a better receiver coming out of the back field as an Aback.

However, certain packages might be nice to have him on the outside. I wouldn't think he would do well just being 1 of the 2 WR's on the field.

I can see him in the slot or where they stack two WRs & use one to rub the cover man off the other.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Having two WR-type guys as A-Backs, in Lynch and Autry, is interesting. Godhigh was an effective receiver from that position, and Bostic has shown worth there. If we can get the ball to the Norcross kids, they could be even better.