Shorter exhibition

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I was there (felt like throwing something with 5 minutes left) - we did look very good last 5 minutes and in OT, and in stretches in first half.
I have us pegged with minimum of 10 to at most 13 wins .. 2 or 3 in the ACC (BC and we'll shoot the lights out once or twice against someone unexpected and steal one or two).

Observations from last night
- Lammers has improved tremendously - played very good, albeit Shorter had no one over 6' 7" and no big like he'll see in the ACC - he still did a lot of things very well - passed well from high post (two really nice assists). Made more nice post moves that I saw from him all last year.
---- Ogbondo - played behind him, decent on defensive end, did not show anything on offense - better hope Lammers can stay out of foul trouble
- Tadric - played horrible first half, three of the dumbest turnovers you will ever see - got yanked after a couple of them. He did take charge of offense late and wanted the ball in his hands down the stretch which is good to see. Shot it well including FT's.
- Okogie - best of the new comers - not ready for prime time in the ACC, but we won't have a choice.
- Q - Played better than the stats, but Shorter played 4 guards and he can't guard the perimeter against someone that quick. Not bashful to shoot when open. CJP went to a lot of zone in second half - 1-3-1 and a 2-3 matchup (really extended to guard the three) which really slowed down Shorter and made their three's more contested.
- Moore - not ready to be ACC point guard - way too many careless (really careless) turnovers .. very fast/athletic ... when Heath is able to play he will be out there instead. He will still play big time minutes until Heath is back and considerable minutes after that.
- Matthews - made some good plays and some bad plays ... potential is there, but not ready to be big time contributor at this stage
- McCormick - only played about 10 minutes at the 4 ... missed an open 3, jury still out - did not get enough minutes to really form opinion but did not do anything 'dumb'.
- Hayward - played a lot, no real improvement to what I have seen of him last couple of years .... won't hurt you but won't do much for you .... we're in for long season if he plays 20 minutes a night (don't expect to see him out there much when Heath is able to play).

Heath/Guaye/Price - did not play.

As for the three's (and not making any)- most were open good looks and just did not go in. Q was 0 for 8, and just about every one was a good shot -same for Okogie's.
Free throws were atrocious for first 30 minutes ... shot them well down the stretch.

On defense, GT came out in man to man and Shorter spread the floor with 4 guards early and got several open looks ... #3 could not miss for a while (ended up with 37 I think) ... CJP went to zone more than Gregory or Hewitt ever would and their number of open looks went down considerably. I expect we'll see more zone from GT than in previous years.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I was there (felt like throwing something with 5 minutes left) - we did look very good last 5 minutes and in OT, and in stretches in first half.
I have us pegged with minimum of 10 to at most 13 wins .. 2 or 3 in the ACC (BC and we'll shoot the lights out once or twice against someone unexpected and steal one or two).

- Lammers has improved tremendously - played very good, albeit Shorter had no one over 6' 7" and no big like he'll see in the ACC - he still did a lot of things very well - passed well from high post (two really nice assists). Made more nice post moves that I saw from him all last year.
---- Ogbondo - played behind him, decent on defensive end, did not show anything on offense - better hope Lammers can stay out of foul trouble
- Tadric - played horrible first half, three of the dumbest turnovers you will ever see - got yanked after a couple of them. He did take charge of offense late and wanted the ball in his hands down the stretch which is good to see. Shot it well including FT's.
- Okogie - best of the new comers - not ready for prime time in the ACC, but we won't have a choice.
- Q - Played better than the stats, but Shorter played 4 guards and he can't guard the perimeter against someone that quick. Not bashful to shoot when open. CJP went to a lot of zone in second half - 1-3-1 and a 2-3 matchup (really extended to guard the three) which really slowed down Shorter and made their three's more contested.
- Moore - not ready to be ACC point guard - way too many careless (really careless) turnovers .. very fast/athletic ... when Heath is able to play he will be out there instead. He will still play big time minutes until Heath is back and considerable minutes after that.
- Matthews - made some good plays and some bad plays ... potential is there, but not ready to be big time contributor at this stage
- McCormick - only played about 10 minutes at the 4 ... missed an open 3, jury still out - did not get enough minutes to really form opinion but did not do anything 'dumb'.
- Hayward - played a lot, no real improvement to what I have seen of him last couple of years .... won't hurt you but won't do much for you .... we're in for long season if he plays 20 minutes a night (don't expect to see him out there much when Heath is able to play).

As for the three's (and not making any)- most were open good looks and just did not go in. Q was 0 for 8, and just about every one was a good shot -same for Okogie's.
Free throws were atrocious for first 30 minutes ... shot them well down the stretch.

On defense, GT came out in man to man and Shorter spread the floor with 4 guards early and got several open looks ... #3 could not miss for a while (ended up with 37 I think) ... CJP went to zone more than Gregory or Hewitt ever would and their number of open looks went down considerably. I expect we'll see more zone from GT than in previous years.
Great first post, thanks for contributing and hope to see more.

Interesting that we went zone out of necessity rather than simply testing it out. It's encouraging to hear it came with positive results. This could be our best strategy defensively this year in order to stay fresh and out of foul trouble. We don't have a mid-tier ACC squad, let alone bench, so it's important we get the most out of our best 5-6. Also if Lammers knows how to stand straight up, it'll be ok to funnel offensive players to the middle with Big Ben waiting, as long as we can react/recover at the other spots.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Did Price get accepted to GT's basketball team under CJP or the prior regime? I thought it was CJP and if so why did he take someone who is a walk on level? If it was the prior regime then nevermind

It was Pastner. Taking a grad senior just for depth isn't that uncommon. We had an open scholarship to use and he won't impact scholarships beyond this season.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It was Pastner. Taking a grad senior just for depth isn't that uncommon. We had an open scholarship to use and he won't impact scholarships beyond this season.

I just have this strange concept that giving a ship for depth normally goes to someone who can see the floor during a scrimmage/exhibition against a DII team. Understand that he won't start or play 30 min. Oh well

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The game was fun and I got more than my $5 ticket price in value. While I'm sure we will struggle the style of play was much more enjoyable than years past thanks to the pace alone. The team did not fold when faced with a large deficit late in the game and hit the clutch shots necessary. Hopefully the crowds will grow as the season roles along even if the w's don't come with it. CJP and the team need our support.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Shorter lost their exhibition to Jax St 105-82 in regulation. They took us to overtime.

Smdh
Shorter was so up for this game. I live 10 minutes for there and I saw some of their players at Moes and talked to them before the game about it. They wanted to win SOOOO bad.
Also I know this is random but David Sims is the QB Coach for Shorter.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I want to like Pastner so much.....

I do too. I actually thought his answers and presentation in that video were really good. I am going to try to give him every benefit of the doubt - certainly for this year. If he can reel in one big fish that would be helpful though :p

J-Rye

Georgia Tech Fan

Do you think Gueye will be a big part of the rotation if/when he comes back? I read where Paster said he has All-ACC defensive potential, and he and Lammers where the common denominator in the intrasquad scrimmage beat downs. Seems like they could use a big man who can switch screens on the perimeter. If what Pastner said is true, Heath/Jackson/Stephens/Gueye/Lammers seems like a lot better roster than what Boston College has to offer.

I'm a UofL fan, and curious about GT. I'll never forget that Pastner beat Pitino twice in 2014, our year in AAC purgatory. It's rare that anyone out-hustles a Pitino coached team, but that Memphis team did it twice. Pastner is good at getting his guys ready to compete physically.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I just have this strange concept that giving a ship for depth normally goes to someone who can see the floor during a scrimmage/exhibition against a DII team. Understand that he won't start or play 30 min. Oh well

I don't disagree. I was just giving my guess as to what happened.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Guys, don't take this as being argumentative, but there are several reason why Price was signed and why he did not play that are legit.

1- CJP wants to see his younger guys, or the guys whose role he is not comfortable they embrace.
2- Price has a minor injury and did not need to risk further injury while playing in a meaningless game.
3- Price has not performed as well in this system as CJP hoped and he, the coach, is showing him, the player, the bench is an option.

We'll see. I think Price will be a low level plus this year.