"Shocking play call"

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
That play call was horrible. There were 9 guys in the box and we run right up the middle.

Zero chance of a first down. Everyone watching knew it too, thats that's the worst part.

Could have thrown a touchdown pass, pitched for a first down, or any number of things. Sometimes I feel like he gets stubborn and just wants to prove a point more than win.

I get emotional and irrational during games. Our head coach should not.
Well said

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know man. I saw a number of rocket tosses and option pitches stuffed for minimal gain, when we had numbers to that side and just couldn't make a dagum block. Awful blocking today all around.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don't know man. I saw a number of rocket tosses and option pitches stuffed for minimal gain, when we had numbers to that side and just couldn't make a dagum block. Awful blocking today all around.

The rocket tosses that we ran did well. Option pitches, not necessarily.

I don't think we ran a rocket toss until the last drive of the first half.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We are in deep trouble unless we calm down and get back to the blue collar mentality of last year and keep on grinding grinding and keep in grinding!

There is no question of CPJ knowledgecof his offense...his assesment and deployment of his players is the current concern...The timing of your comment is puzzling since we have been humbled two weeks in a row by two vastly different teams with similar very scary and disappointing results...

You misunderstand me if you think I'm saying everything is rosy. It's bad on O at the moment. What I take issue with is the notion that our scheme is flawed or we have no chance of fixing things. 6 years of seeing good from the scheme aren't undone by 2 bad games. Time will tell if things get fixed but I think they can and expect improvement the rest of the way.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That play call was horrible. There were 9 guys in the box and we run right up the middle.

Zero chance of a first down. Everyone watching knew it too, thats that's the worst part.

Could have thrown a touchdown pass, pitched for a first down, or any number of things. Sometimes I feel like he gets stubborn and just wants to prove a point more than win.

I get emotional and irrational during games. Our head coach should not.
Still not sure whether JeT checked put of the called play. Boomer please watch for this on yo ur review thanks

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
Man all this time...all we needed to do was replace our coaching staff with you guys lol

If we can't get 2 yards when we need to we don't deserve to win.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If we can't get 2 yards with the game ( and really, maybe the season) on the line, then we are not a very good team. Outmuscled by dook. Just wow!

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
We can't seem to do 1 out of three outside plays right - even the spacing is off most of the time! JT looks to pitch and the A back is about 2 feet away! What DO they practice in practice?????

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We can't seem to do 1 out of three outside plays right - even the spacing is off most of the time! JT looks to pitch and the A back is about 2 feet away! What DO they practice in practice?????

IMO Thomas has a bad habbit of trying to outrun the defender if he doesn't really commit to either the QB or the AB, instead of running right at him and forcing him to. It leads to Thomas getting out wider than normal, and makes the pitch relation harder to keep.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
If we can't get 2 yards with the game ( and really, maybe the season) on the line, then we are not a very good team. Outmuscled by dook. Just wow!
Well they brought 9 guys in the box to our 5 blocking. I am not sure which side we ran too. I would always run this play to Devines's side. He usually get a push.
That particular defensive set says run outside. The rocket toss got us 4 to 5 yards.

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
Still not sure whether JeT checked put of the called play. Boomer please watch for this on yo ur review thanks
I was just going to say this. I know CPJ said in the post game that it was a called hand-off but I could have sworn I remembered seeing JT audible. I understand giving JT more responsibility but I noticed this last week as well. I know its asking a lot but could one of you replay junkies make a note of how often he is checking out of plays and the success rate?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Man all this time...all we needed to do was replace our coaching staff with you guys lol

If we can't get 2 yards when we need to we don't deserve to win.

OK lets set this up, game on the line momentum in the balance 4th and 2, eight guys in the box, 10,000 people in the stadium (sic) one million people watching on TV and the entire Duke coaching staff knows exactly what the play will be and we run it anyway ...

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

Completely wrong, there is no way you can blame the players, it's simply a numbers game with no imagination on offense Duke's defense was just bring it !!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I was just going to say this. I know CPJ said in the post game that it was a called hand-off but I could have sworn I remembered seeing JT audible. I understand giving JT more responsibility but I noticed this last week as well. I know its asking a lot but could one of you replay junkies make a note of how often he is checking out of plays and the success rate?

Don't assume that every time he changes something it's a change play. It may very well just be a change of direction based on the numbers he sees.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I would never be a coach. Life is too short.
Two special team house calls and thanks to defense we have the ball w just under 3 min and are only down 6!!
Here we go!
We have sham out and klock in _ maybe because he was hurting from bb running into him on all the stuffed utm plays.
Anyway here we go with a play to the left but 16 has cheated up tight over rg/ rt

when the play starts erin joe blocks the end and does not cut 16. klock blocks burden in the butt and 16 races to cause the fumble.
We are making mistakes that are kiling the momentum
Soon we will get it clicking.
Have faith.

jason72

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we should a realize just how little experience we have in our backs and receiver's their is a reason you never see freshmen starting for this offense. Very few highschool backs and receivers that are good enough to get scholarship's know how to block because they always where getting the ball. Skov is a pretty good b-back but with know threat of a long run every team is going to shut us down outside especially if they can contain our b-back with just one linebacker. And it seems the last 2 weeks both defense have decided to put the pressure on us instead of waiting back to see where it's going they a dictating where it's going to go. It's impossible for our linemen to block someone they are expecting to be back on the second level when they are coming on the snap. If we can't figure out how to block that then this is going to be a long season.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You misunderstand me if you think I'm saying everything is rosy. It's bad on O at the moment. What I take issue with is the notion that our scheme is flawed or we have no chance of fixing things. 6 years of seeing good from the scheme aren't undone by 2 bad games. Time will tell if things get fixed but I think they can and expect improvement the rest of the way.

I don't agree that w have seen 6 years of good with this scheme. I think you MUST discount the first two years as being played with Gailey's players. Our records since then have been poor, not good. We had a brilliant stretch last year for 8 games, and now we are back to the same level we had from 2010 forwards. Do I need to remind you that aside for that wonderful stretch last year, we are 34-29 against all foes, and our record against decent teams (VPI&SU, Georgia, Clemson, FSU, Miami) is much MUCH worse. ( I am too depressed to go look it up.)

Maybe YOU need to realize we have seen 3 out of 4 years of POOR performance out of this scheme, with all indications that we are well on the way to making that 4 out of 5.

In my mind, this scheme works if and only if it has some balance, Last year we had two WR's who were NFL caliber (or nearly so). We had so many times and games where we were able to throw the ball to establish that as a threat, to those two guys. My reading is that this scheme, as delightful as it is when it works, can be successfully defended if it is one sided and has no passing that. And further, my opinion is that the offensive coordinator is exceptional stubborn and does not spend enough time on the passing game to insure the balance necessary to "make it work". In short, he is a Tenuta on offense. Great against lesser teams, and fails against better teams.

"In CPJ we trust" is just not an acceptable answer to me. Sorry, but GT trained me differently than that.