Sept 5th. 2017

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This is the perfect time to play Tennessee.
1. They have to replace their offense so they will be very slow coming out
2. They still have injuries on Defense
3. Their defense last year gave up huge numbers, particularly against the run
4. They have never played CPJ.
5. They are looking at this game as an easy win
6. Their coach knows if they lose this game then his seat explodes. They will be tight coming in.
7. They are the SEC East, one of the weakest in the Power 5.

Well, I would rather play them now without Dobbs and Kramer (spelling?) for sure. They will have issues on defense with or without injuries. That said, I am more than happy to play them without those two defensive ends they had last year. They were rolling last year until they played Alabama and then it was all downhill. Let's start the commotion a little bit earlier this year. Who knows? Maybe, they will invite Derek Dooley back.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I know Cutliffe is not well liked in these parts but I respect his coaching ability. Tennessee will rue the day, if they have not already, that they made the mistake of firing him. Tennessee is a good football program but they sure do some funny things sometimes.

I thought they fired Fulmer. Cutcliffe, who was one of his offensive assistants, I believe, was long gone to Ole Miss by the time they dumped Fulmer, who is UT through and through. Dude bleeds orange and white. Little Dooley was bad - bad coach and bad recruiter - and Kiffin was ... well, Kiffin.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I know that this is going to be an unpopular opinion. For a triple option team, it is far better to start the year with a patsy and follow that up with a cupcake. The option is so dependent upon timing, assignments, etc. that it is hard to get the parts working the first game of the season. Having a more experienced line and Bback will help for sure but I would rather play Tennessee later in the year. I just think that we take a while to get the bus moving sometimes. IMHO

As others have said, offenses in general are dependent on timing and experience that comes through repetition. The kind of passing game we had under Friedgen required every bit as much timing and precision-- if not more-- than option football. Plus, we really don't run that much REAL triple option. Many of those plays that look like triple option are called plays, and may be double option. You see more triple option as the year goes on for that reason.

It's football. It comes down to blocking and tackling. This 2017 OL is more experienced than it was in game 1 2016. I'll take a run oriented offense in game 1 with an experienced OL over most college passing offenses. Maybe not in game 5, depending on the team.

The simplistic media predictive analysis by focusing on QB's in college is so wrong--analyzing the OL in college is far more important, which the media types aren't capable of.. College football and the NFL are two different sports unless you are at the Alabama level.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
My concern is about our D against a passing offense which Tenn will be. We couldn't stop Mercer's passer last year. We are a total team (hopefully ST new guys come thru) Pretty good run D. We do need to find replacements for Gamble and PJ Davis and get a pass rush. I believe Tenn will have more holes to fill.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I thought they fired Fulmer. Cutcliffe, who was one of his offensive assistants, I believe, was long gone to Ole Miss by the time they dumped Fulmer, who is UT through and through. Dude bleeds orange and white. Little Dooley was bad - bad coach and bad recruiter - and Kiffin was ... well, Kiffin.
Yeah, you are right I meant to say that I thought they could have named Cutliffe coach when Fulmer was fired but opted for DD who was as you said, bad all around. Kiffin prompted semi riots in Knoxville when he left. A string of events like that would have set many programs back for a decade or more. If nothing else, UT has proven to be resilient up to a point.

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah, you are right I meant to say that I thought they could have named Cutliffe coach when Fulmer was fired but opted for DD who was as you said, bad all around. Kiffin prompted semi riots in Knoxville when he left. A string of events like that would have set many programs back for a decade or more. If nothing else, UT has proven to be resilient up to a point.

Order of coaches is mixed up. Kiffen was the new hot thing, and they fired Fulmer to "step up to the big time". The fan base would have hated a Cutcliffe hire then. They might not accept it now.
Dooley came in when Kiffen left UT high and dry for USCw. And the fan base rioted because "you can't quit, we're UT, we have to fire you"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Order of coaches is mixed up. Kiffen was the new hot thing, and they fired Fulmer to "step up to the big time". The fan base would have hated a Cutcliffe hire then. They might not accept it now.
Dooley came in when Kiffen left UT high and dry for USCw. And the fan base rioted because "you can't quit, we're UT, we have to fire you"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When it comes to my thinking, everything is generally mixed up not just the order of coaches. Where was Kiffen before UT? In his defense, he was outstanding at Alabama in upgrading their offense but it was apparent, at least to me, from the sideline demeanor and so forth that Saban did not like him. You are probably right that they would not have accepted Cutcliffe but they would not be in the fix they are in had they swallowed their pride and done so.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about Bama's depth. I think Clemson's 4th qtr exposed it. Bammer's starters hadn't had to play many late 4th qtr games, and they flat folded.

They have 4 and 5 star guys 3-4 deep in almost every position, so I think they have depth. Also, those same players practice against each other constantly.

FSU also has excellent depth, but just a bit less than sa(t)an.