Sept 5th. 2017

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If these games would've happened at the end of last season, I would've given about a 75% chance of going 2-0. There are just so many intangibles in the first game of a season that it would make a fair and unbiased opinion impossible, IMO.

GT barely got out of Dublin last year with a W and I think it was because we were rusty and our timing was off. At the time, I was hoping we struggled because BC was good but that turned out not to be true.

Houston beat Oklahoma, Southern Mississippi beat Kentucky, Texas beat Notre Dame, Richmond beat UVA, App State carries UT into OT, etc.

Anyway, lots of uncertainty in Week 1. With that being said, GO ACC!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If these games would've happened at the end of last season, I would've given about a 75% chance of going 2-0. There are just so many intangibles in the first game of a season that it would make a fair and unbiased opinion impossible, IMO.

GT barely got out of Dublin last year with a W and I think it was because we were rusty and our timing was off. At the time, I was hoping we struggled because BC was good but that turned out not to be true.

Houston beat Oklahoma, Southern Mississippi beat Kentucky, Texas beat Notre Dame, Richmond beat UVA, App State carries UT into OT, etc.

Anyway, lots of uncertainty in Week 1. With that being said, GO ACC!!!

At the start of last season our OL was as green as the Irish landscape. Not so this year. That will make a huge difference.

Last year in Dublin, we were rusty, starting a Freshman at B-back, and goin up against the best defense in the country. Yes BC the year before was number 1. BC has no offense, we gave up one long run. This year it is totally different. We just have to see what our QB does.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I know that this is going to be an unpopular opinion. For a triple option team, it is far better to start the year with a patsy and follow that up with a cupcake. The option is so dependent upon timing, assignments, etc. that it is hard to get the parts working the first game of the season. Having a more experienced line and Bback will help for sure but I would rather play Tennessee later in the year. I just think that we take a while to get the bus moving sometimes. IMHO

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I know that this is going to be an unpopular opinion. For a triple option team, it is far better to start the year with a patsy and follow that up with a cupcake. The option is so dependent upon timing, assignments, etc. that it is hard to get the parts working the first game of the season. Having a more experienced line and Bback will help for sure but I would rather play Tennessee later in the year. I just think that we take a while to get the bus moving sometimes. IMHO

I agree 100%, Sideways. In addition, I expect UT's defense to crowd the line since we have a new QB and are historically far more likely to run than pass. I expect this crowding will continue until we complete a pass or two. Maybe I'm thinking too far ahead but we might be well-served to come up with some high percentage pass options to start the game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would make us prove we can pass the ball especially with a new QB and his game at VT. if he can't make them pay for that strategy then he is not the right guy. I don't see us dominating their DL so we will need some trickery and hit some passes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100%, Sideways. In addition, I expect UT's defense to crowd the line since we have a new QB and are historically far more likely to run than pass. I expect this crowding will continue until we complete a pass or two. Maybe I'm thinking too far ahead but we might be well-served to come up with some high percentage pass options to start the game.

If they're crowding the box, that means singles on the outside and on the Abacks. Chances are they'll leave an Aback uncovered down the seam. We also have Mills on the wheel, one of CPJ's faves.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

I agree that we tend to start slow on offense, but honestly, I don't think this is specific to TO teams...offenses in general rely on timing and assignments. I think defenses are generally ahead of the offenses in the first few weeks of the season, because there's a whole lot more read and react on defense. Having Dedrick and experienced O Line is going to help a ton. Worst case, you'd think we'd be able to run B-back dives behind Shamire and just control the ball

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
That's true with any offense or defense for that matter. First games are pretty much a crap shoot. I believe underdogs have better chances in first games. The pressure IMHO is all on UT.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I would make us prove we can pass the ball especially with a new QB and his game at VT. if he can't make them pay for that strategy then he is not the right guy. I don't see us dominating their DL so we will need some trickery and hit some passes.

I would not give up on the run right away. This line has the potential to be the best in Coach Johnson's tenure. They will utterly dominate some, certainly not all, games this season. You wait and see. I can see us dominating their DL. I can also see multiple run blitzes and stunts from linebackers and safeties crowding the line. If that happens MJ and the receivers MUST make them pay the price.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
That's true with any offense or defense for that matter. First games are pretty much a crap shoot. I believe underdogs have better chances in first games. The pressure IMHO is all on UT.

Yes, I can agree with that. Butch is already feeling the heat and a bad start would really make his seat get hotter than it already is. Losing to Vanderbilt will do that to you. Tennessee is one of those places where it always seems like there is something going on inside the building that keeps the program from achieving truly elite status. Heaven knows they have everything they need to succeed (except a really good recruiting base but they get players anyway)

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we tend to start slow on offense, but honestly, I don't think this is specific to TO teams...offenses in general rely on timing and assignments. I think defenses are generally ahead of the offenses in the first few weeks of the season, because there's a whole lot more read and react on defense. Having Dedrick and experienced O Line is going to help a ton. Worst case, you'd think we'd be able to run B-back dives behind Shamire and just control the ball

You are probably right. I just hope we avoid a beat down of the sort Tennessee administered to Virginia Tech last year after all the hoopla that went into that game.