Selling academics at Tech AND CPJ's offense

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Possession of pot less than an ounce is still a state crime. It’s always been officer discretion on whether to charge by arrest, citation, or release with no charge.

All Atlanta did was remove the discretion to arrest. Can still be charged on a citation. But end result will lead to fewer charges of any kind for less than an ounce (in the City of Atlanta).

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Possession of pot less than an ounce is still a state crime. It’s always been officer discretion on whether to charge by arrest, citation, or release with no charge.

All Atlanta did was remove the discretion to arrest. Can still be charged on a citation. But end result will lead to fewer charges of any kind for less than an ounce (in the City of Atlanta).

Accurate reporting of facts make for terrible talking points, but touche.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Over 90% of all Americans between 18 - 30 support full legalization
No voting demographic favors enforcement of current laws over legalization.

This Pew Research study from a week ago shows something a bit different. Regardless, even if marijuana was legal I don’t think it would mean GT would quit testing or kicking people off the team for flunking a drug test. I know private employers have the right to terminate employment for failed marijuana drug screens in Colorado. By the way, I don’t remember hearing the DM’s third strike was related to this issue.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/01/05/americans-support-marijuana-legalization

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I never heard that either. The only thing I ever heard was conjecture by external parties.
But his career at GT went up in smoke and he did not go out in a “blaze” of glory, just a blaze. All his talk of learning a tough lessen and growing up was just talk. I just don’t get how he could have thought he wouldn’t get caught.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
But his career at GT went up in smoke and he did not go out in a “blaze” of glory, just a blaze. All his talk of learning a tough lessen and growing up was just talk. I just don’t get how he could have thought he wouldn’t get caught.
To bad he didnt bond w his high school coach as a place for sound advice.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My second hand information heavily infered, via visual display to show the act...

Even if he wasn't doing it, he hung with those that did it in his presence enough that certain tests didn't come back negative.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Strong clinical research supporting positive medical benefits (the least of which is the decreased use of opioids, the leading killer of my generation, and an epidemic among NFL players)

It also shows some pretty awful side effects. Weed is a bigger carcinogen than cigarettes.

"The effect of marijuana on an individual’s ability to function is not the drug’s only side effect.10Although the long-term effects of marijuana are not fully understood, results of some studies show that longterm use may be associated with cardiovascular and respiratory problems.16-19 Study results show that marijuana contains hundreds of compounds that may damage the lungs—an estimated 50% to 70% more cancer-causing chemicals than are in tobacco products—and the American Lung Association reports that marijuana smoke releases 33 cancer-causing chemicals.19,20

Research has also shown that regular and frequent use of marijuana, particularly in high doses, can cause problems with short-term memory and concentration.10,17 According to the National Cancer Institute and the National Institutes of Health, possible adverse effects of marijuana may include dizziness, increased heart rate, low blood pressure, problems with short-term memory, decreased attention span, hallucinations, depression, issues with problem-solving skills, impairment of motor and cognitive skills, and insomnia.8 Some individuals may also experience dry mouth, red eyes, anxiety, low blood glucose levels, and drowsiness.8"

Source: http://www.pharmacytimes.com/public...medical-marijuana-the-myths-and-realities?p=2

I am open to honest debate on the legalization issue, though I am doubtful I would ever support legalization, but I think we need to be open about the other effects weed has and whether or not the benefit outweighs the risks involved.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Guys, if you want to discuss the legalization issue please open a new thread in the Swarm Lounge and I will be glad to move all the posts relevant to that discussion over. I don't have a problem with the discussions but they don't belong in this thread. Thanks.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Regarding getting to games early, one of my enduring memories was my first GT game as a student against Alabama in 1984... I don't know that it was packed, but there were plenty of rowdy students there during warm-ups, screaming "Bama sux" to Van Halen's "Panama"... Great times...

Regarding getting to games early, one of my enduring memories was my first GT game as a student against Alabama in 1984... I don't know that it was packed, but there were plenty of rowdy students there during warm-ups, screaming "Bama sux" to Van Halen's "Panama"... Great times...
When I was in school in the early 60s, the student section was full at least 30 minutes prior to kickoff for every game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

And now that song is stuck in my head...

In fairness, there were probably hitching posts for your horses right outside the stadium, since vehicular traffic wasn't around yet... :ROFLMAO:
SMDH. I said in the early 60s, and since there was not even a school called Georgia Tech in the 1860s, it would have to be the 1960s, and there was plenty of vehicular traffic around then, other than possibly over in the boonies where you live now. :p

techman33908

Georgia Tech Fan
Johnson can’t recruitTime for a change. Offense is anemic and the defense is terrible.

techman33908

Georgia Tech Fan
With the exception of hte folks here: gt has a pretty cruddy fanbase, tbh.

They don't show up to games, when they do they show up late, when they do show up they don't create a hostile environment for the other team, they don't give to the athletic association, I've literally never seen a "go jackets" bumper sticker or anything (and I've seen one from every other school here in the DC area).

I don't know, it's just not a very engaged set of folks, compared to the competition.