Selling academics at Tech AND CPJ's offense

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate to create a new thread, but I wasn't sure where else to put this very interesting link. Moderators, if it needs to go someplace else, please move it.

http://thewhiteandgold.com/time-for...di-paul-johnsons-offense-not-shy-p441-250.htm
One of the best articles I have read in a long time. A few random thoughts:

1. Even though the article explains the small difference between 3 star vs 4 star it always looks to me that Tech almost never has the biggest or fastest team on the field. Could be the lens from which I look through.
2. Makes it that much more amazing when Tech beats the teams that have. All the advantages against them. Makes being a GT fan that much more unique and special.
3. I would like to see a best in class degree offered that focuses on Sports and the Technology with training, nutrition and business aspects. Not be a major you can hide behind but one that can propel a student to a career in the sports field.
4. In addition to the academics and style of offense I will continue to believe that the lack of fan growth and support (i.e. Filling the stadium) makes a huge difference to the recruit as well. All of our neighbors- uGA, Auburn, FSU, USC, Clemson, Alabama, UT fill up their huge stadiums and that gives them an advantage.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

4. In addition to the academics and style of offense I will continue to believe that the lack of fan growth and support (i.e. Filling the stadium) makes a huge difference to the recruit as well. All of our neighbors- uGA, Auburn, FSU, USC, Clemson, Alabama, UT fill up their huge stadiums and that gives them an advantage.

With the exception of hte folks here: gt has a pretty cruddy fanbase, tbh.

They don't show up to games, when they do they show up late, when they do show up they don't create a hostile environment for the other team, they don't give to the athletic association, I've literally never seen a "go jackets" bumper sticker or anything (and I've seen one from every other school here in the DC area).

I don't know, it's just not a very engaged set of folks, compared to the competition.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

They don't show up to games, when they do they show up late, when they do show up they don't create a hostile environment for the other team, they don't give to the athletic association, I've literally never seen a "go jackets" bumper sticker or anything (and I've seen one from every other school here in the DC area).

I don't know, it's just not a very engaged set of folks, compared to the competition.

I agree with your post. If you read some of the threads here, then you know that the handful of us fans exist in spite of the GTAA and its indifference/incompetence over the years. Of course there are other factors at play (for instance, dispersion of alumni compared to our neighboring schools which are regional in nature) over the years. We are hopeful that our new guy "gets it". Those of us who post/read/attend/watch/donate will do so no matter what is or is not happening in the ivory towers. But we need a new approach in branding/marketing/connecting to those on the fence or on the outside if we are ever going to grow (or even maintain) our fan base. The old guard is not increasing in number.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer

I agree with you here, especially the part about not creating a hostile environment. I remember one game last year when there was a terrible call at the north end right in front of the band. Not only did the fans not even get interested in booing the call, but when members of the band started booing and chanting “ bull #%$&”, the band director started chastising them and motioned for them to be quiet. I contrasted that with a similar play about four years ago when the band started chanting “ Ref, you suck” so loudly the Ref actually turned and looked at the band like he was asking “what did I do wrong”? This is just one example where it doesn’t seem like the fans in the stands want to get involved in the game. I would love for it to get back to a state where the crowd gives the team an advantage.

Filling the stadium, look even back in the Dodd years when we were playing a team like FSU or any school not ND, Auburn, Tenn, or UGA, Dodd created band day to fill the South horse shoe with high school bands. It think that ended sometime in the 90s. If you want more fans at the games, simple, get the games off TV. Chances of that 0. Parking is limited, getting out of games is a night mare. And let's just be honest we keep comparing ourselves to the school in Athens. 80% of the state of Georgia is a Georgia fan, even those that never went to college.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

My wife and I are both in Tech hoodies walking around Clarendon today. How’s that?:D

I hate to create a new thread, but I wasn't sure where else to put this very interesting link. Moderators, if it needs to go someplace else, please move it.

http://thewhiteandgold.com/time-for...di-paul-johnsons-offense-not-shy-p441-250.htm
So after reading this and the comments about the differences between 3 stars and 4 is height, weight, speed, then now I call total BS on the star ratings. How do you look at an 18 year old and determine this. When I went to college at 18 I was 6 feet tall. I grew 2 more inches in college. Speed can be improved as can weight and strength. But then we know this. And there is no way to determine heart. Jerry Mays comes to mind.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow

I work about half the time in DC and stay in Georgetown and run in my GT clothes every morning there. My rental cars don’t have GT stickers on them tho ;)

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I work about half the time in DC and stay in Georgetown and run in my GT clothes every morning there. My rental cars don’t have GT stickers on them tho ;)
(y)

I rarely get into Georgetown (and by rarely, I mean I do everything in my power to avoid it). It's a LOVELY area, but unless you live there, the commute is brutal (as are Friday and Saturday nights, when the douchebag brigade rolls down to M street and wants to try to brag about who they're interning for)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

1. Even though the article explains the small difference between 3 star vs 4 star it always looks to me that Tech almost never has the biggest or fastest team on the field. Could be the lens from which I look through.
2. Makes it that much more amazing when Tech beats the teams that have. All the advantages against them. Makes being a GT fan that much more unique and special.
3. I would like to see a best in class degree offered that focuses on Sports and the Technology with training, nutrition and business aspects. Not be a major you can hide behind but one that can propel a student to a career in the sports field.
It is one of the best and a good get. Some of the recruiting difficulties get into focus. But I do have a question: when the piece dwells on the smart players recruited by Gailey in '07 -- Dwyer, Burnett, Morgan, Thomas and Nesbitt -- does anyone know how many of them actually have a degree 10 years later? I think I recall a piece that Morgan was in class on campus. Clemson, ahead of the curve again, has a program to give IPTAY aid to former athletes who left school early in good standing if they will return for their degree. Books, tuition and maybe room and board, not sure. But any number have come back and because they are classified as students they can pitch in to help coach their own college sport.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So after reading this and the comments about the differences between 3 stars and 4 is height, weight, speed, then now I call total BS on the star ratings. How do you look at an 18 year old and determine this. When I went to college at 18 I was 6 feet tall. I grew 2 more inches in college. Speed can be improved as can weight and strength. But then we know this. And there is no way to determine heart. Jerry Mays comes to mind.
They rank a kid a 4 star based on size, speed ect because he can make an immediate impact. You are right that a kid can get bigger, and faster (not much normally) but they normally don’t make an immediate impact because it takes time to get bigger and faster.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Good article. It's true that Tech has to do more to find recruits and that even if we do we have the usual suspects (Duke, Stanford, Northwestern) to contend with for them. That means we have to do a better job finding more possible recruits. That means we have to go everywhere - even Germany - to scare them up. It is tough, but throwing more money at the problem usually works. And we are in the process of doing that.

One thing: I see several posts above that talk about not providing a hostile enough environment for our opponents. Let's go back to those hallowed days of yesteryear and consider something like the Tech - ND game in 1978. Dan Devine told his team to keep their helmets on. Good thing: the thrown bottles (not all empty, btw) and decaying mackerel showered on the ND bench during the game finally drove the Irish out to midfield until order could be restored. It also was part of the Awbun pep rallies before their games with us that the head cheerleader would say, "Let's hear you hiss like they do at Grant Field!" (A great tradition I've been trying, without success, to revive.)

Well, I'd draw the line at throwing bottles at the opposing bench - you can get penalized for that now - but a little more hissing would be welcome.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'll go you one better.

My dad went off to Perkinston Junior College at 5'10" 185. He transferred to Mississippi State a year later at - hand to God - 6'2" 220. He played for them until WW2 intervened.

This, sports fans, is what you call a growth spurt. My grandmother was sending him a new wardrobe every 3 months. Even his socks had to be replaced. I only grew an inch and 20 pounds when I had mine. Too bad.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
They rank a kid a 4 star based on size, speed ect because he can make an immediate impact. You are right that a kid can get bigger, and faster (not much normally) but they normally don’t make an immediate impact because it takes time to get bigger and faster.
And a big kid can also get bigger. We shouldn't kid ourselves that we don't want big, fast guys.

Good article. It's true that Tech has to do more to find recruits and that even if we do we have the usual suspects (Duke, Stanford, Northwestern) to contend with for them. That means we have to do a better job finding more possible recruits. That means we have to go everywhere - even Germany - to scare them up. It is tough, but throwing more money at the problem usually works. And we are in the process of doing that.

One thing: I see several posts above that talk about not providing a hostile enough environment for our opponents. Let's go back to those hallowed days of yesteryear and consider something like the Tech - ND game in 1978. Dan Devine told his team to keep their helmets on. Good thing: the thrown bottles (not all empty, btw) and decaying mackerel showered on the ND bench during the game finally drove the Irish out to midfield until order could be restored. It also was part of the Awbun pep rallies before their games with us that the head cheerleader would say, "Let's hear you hiss like they do at Grant Field!" (A great tradition I've been trying, without success, to revive.)

Well, I'd draw the line at throwing bottles at the opposing bench - you can get penalized for that now - but a little more hissing would be welcome.
I don't remember the hissing. Was that in the 50s and earlier?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

Or at least put the student section back behind the opponent's bench again.