Second Viewing

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We really only got screened to death that first drive of the 2nd half. Most of it was guys not recognizing the screen and/or missing the first tackle when it was hit. Overall it was a very boring game. I don’t even think Mercer even remotely challenged us outside of us just fumbling for no reason and their first drive where you just have to give that QB credit for delivering a fantastic throw for a TD.

The standout of the day for me on D was clearly Curry. He looked real good and I like the way he hits. With as passive a PJ has been this year (why?) we need a guy like that on the field. I like Adams too. He’s a hole filler which is a huge need for us. He doesn’t have to be great he just needs to take up enough space for Gamble to do work. Cerge and Glanton to me seem like they need to get bigger. I’m still not impressed by Kallon but it’s probably because I think he and Gamble both should be 3-tech tackles and not on the field at the same time. I don’t mind Adams’ redshirt getting burned and I actually kind of wish he would’ve played against BC. I think we’ll need him against Clemson and our D needs him to be starting by the end of the year.

I cannot keep singing praises for Ricky Jeune.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
dmurdock, I heard Lamont Simmons' name called many times Saturday, and I believe they were all positive. The name stood out because I didn't know we had anyone by that name. I guess when they don't go through the usual recruiting hullabaloo it's easy to lose track of them.

He was a transfer from USC. He sat out last year per NCAA rules.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
dmurdock, I heard Lamont Simmons' name called many times Saturday, and I believe they were all positive. The name stood out because I didn't know we had anyone by that name. I guess when they don't go through the usual recruiting hullabaloo it's easy to lose track of them.

The series just before the 4th quarter missed FG by Mercer, the play was right in front of me (3rd row section 123 around 10 yd line) and noticed #6 Simmons lining up on a receiver at the LOS. Decided to watch that matchup rather than following the ball like I usually do. They went at Simmons the next 3 plays. First play was a pass along the sideline. It looked like the receiver had a step on Simmons, but he disrupted the receiver enough at the LOS to throw off the timing of the route and the ball was overthrown. Second play, same receiver ran a crossing route over the middle. Pretty much the same result as the first play; receiver looked to have a step on Simmons but timing was off and ball was thrown too far in front of him. Mercer switched receivers and tried a WR screen with the slot back coming out to block Simmons and the receiver cutting in behind the block for the pass. Don't remember if the pass was incomplete or was covered well from inside but they ended up with 4th down and the missed FG attempt.

Whole reason I noticed this was because so many posters on here complain about us giving too much cushion at the snap. Not sure if this had anything to do with the coaches wanting to see what Lamont Simmons, the USCw transfer, could do or if this was more of a down/distance/field position decision by the coaching staff. Would be interesting to see a video review by one of our knowledgeable posters, that is if Simmons was visible on camera.

One of L Simmons attributes is his size to "jam" receivers at the LOS. I hope this becomes/remains his style of play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Branch and Adams are xxl.
Saw Branch set a solid end
Also saw Adams and Glanton plug the middle when Curry made the heat seeming missile hit.
Coach Roof gave him a really big ataboy on the sideline in front of everyone. Curry did not really show much emotion then. AFTER GAME I happened to see him at pizza place on 5. I asked him when he would forget how he felt when he Roof complemented him in front of his team mates and he answered with a big smile "I will never forget it".
(The attached was before the play)

Attachments

• 20160910_163647.jpg
    20160910_163647.jpg
    939.2 KB · Views: 80